Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Totalled Model 3 [why didnt dashcam capture recording]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was entering an intersection, the car to my left was trning right into the street I was on so I entered the intersection. Another car swung around the turning car and took off the fron foot or so of my car. I (or the car) stopped just at impact. The other car was probably speeding (he traveled 208 feet after impact). No one was hurt at all. My question revolves around Sentry Mode. It was on & operating but stopped recording before (or at) the time of impact. I have nothing recorded. I downloaded everything from the thumb drive and it stopped recording just as I stopped at the intersection. Did I do something wrong? I didn't think to blow the horn to record something.

Reactions: Dre78
Quick summary of why you most likely didn't have the footage you needed...

You must tell the car to save the last ten minutes by either honking the horn (if this option is selected in the appropriate screen), or by tapping the camera icon.

The above assumes that you have an appropriate USB storage device plugged in, setup correctly, and there is a camera icon with a red dot present on your car's display.

I'd also like to very politely give you a nudge to read the owner's manual. This is like no other car you have ever driven, and reading the entire owner's manual cover-to-cover might prevent potential heartache like this in the future. :)

TL;DR tap the camera button immediately to save footage.

In my experience, TeslaCam buffers a minute of video somewhere before it writes that data to the USB. You'll have video before the accident, but if TeslaCam stops recording in that buffer minute, it's lost. A while ago I experimented with this in two situations: 1. Putting car in Park, and 2. Yanking out the USB drive. I expected #2 to not contain the last few seconds to a minute of video. I was surprised #1 also did not contain that video.

I think you can can request Tesla extract the video if you absolute need it. TeslaCam is part of the infotainment system. The footage might still be on the "computer" system related to autopilot and such.

Hope you're okay, and hope your car is back to 100% soon!

Thanks folks. All good info.....
Driving along...out of no where, ancient Audi removes the front 1/4 of my model 3....airbags go off...terrible smell...ask wife if she's okay...people help me out of car....honk horn? - push camera icon (find it behind airbag)? Not gonna happen.
Another thread suggests an automatic save under certain G forces. A GREAT idea. This vehicle is almost a computer that happens to take you from place to place. It really ought to do that.

Driving along...out of no where, ancient Audi removes the front 1/4 of my model 3....airbags go off...terrible smell...ask wife if she's okay...people help me out of car....honk horn? - push camera icon (find it behind airbag)? Not gonna happen.
Another thread suggests an automatic save under certain G forces. A GREAT idea. This vehicle is almost a computer that happens to take you from place to place. It really ought to do that.
Remember TeslaCam also records the last hour of your drive, so if you had simply removed the USB within an hour of the accident you would have had the accident recorded.

... or air-bag deployment.

Glad you're okay OP. And I agree Tesla should introduce an update where the dash cam automatically records the last 10 minutes of video (like if you had touched the icon, or honk the horn) upon airbag deployment, ABS intervention, etc. Most folks are not going to remember to do that after a scare like that. And yes, you'd have to have the dash cam on for that to happen.