Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Totaled or not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve only had this model 3 for a short period of time before a guy rear ended me. It won’t drive immediately after the impact. Is it totaled? The repair wait line is months I heard. Thank you and safe driving.
4D0C95FD-37AF-4D73-82F6-53F2597D1A19.jpeg

Attachments

• 47B27C42-9B30-4132-B5C2-AE0828E60144.jpeg
    47B27C42-9B30-4132-B5C2-AE0828E60144.jpeg
    673.3 KB · Views: 157
  • 91E64854-A832-4E49-BF4E-E0C05769A21E.jpeg
    91E64854-A832-4E49-BF4E-E0C05769A21E.jpeg
    574.9 KB · Views: 154
I would guess your model 3 is totaled, but I am not an expert at looking at this stuff. Both of these car dents look strange though.... they both look like there is a small skinny impact point in the middle (both the van and the model 3). I am having a hard time picturing what on the back of the model 3 caused an inverted dent like that on the van, and what on the van caused the same inverted dent in the middle of the model 3.

Shrug.. its just one of the stranger set of dents in the large number of "is this totaled" threads that get posted here.

Good luck getting it totaled, I would hope for it to be, if it were my car.

Sorry about the car and I trust you are OK.

Decades ago our Audi 100LS was also rear ended, with similar results. Friends thought I had backed into a pole. Physics, I guess : ).

Also, inquiring minds…

Always wondered.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
I would guess your model 3 is totaled, but I am not an expert at looking at this stuff. Both of these car dents look strange though.... they both look like there is a small skinny impact point in the middle (both the van and the model 3). I am having a hard time picturing what on the back of the model 3 caused an inverted dent like that on the van, and what on the van caused the same inverted dent in the middle of the model 3.

Shrug.. its just one of the stranger set of dents in the large number of "is this totaled" threads that get posted here.

Good luck getting it totaled, I would hope for it to be, if it were my car.
Looks like a 45* angle of the van into the trunk. Not an uncommon hit for someone (van) realizing they’re going to hit and jerking the wheel to try and avoid.

Agreed that it looks totaled, but since 2020 some cars are being saved with what would have otherwise caused them to be removed from SC’ing.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I thought the same, first thing, when I saw that same dent pattern in both vehicles. I’d say the Tesla is definitely totaled, and would hope for that if it were my car. In fact I’d be so sure, I’d go ahead and get a jump start on ordering my next one now.

Reactions: Weeee
Whenever this question is asked "Totaled or not?" I think if you have to ask the question you probably want the answer to be totaled. Months of wait, misc lingering issues you have to notice and resolve, etc. From what I've seen the main decider is damage to the battery pack and maybe the corner where the charging port is. I mean you can run over something and damage the pack and some T bone accidents can be repairable or not depending on how low they are.

Reactions: Weeee
Did you retrieve the dash cam video or was the car complexly powered off after the collision? Grab your sentry thumb drive and open it up on a computer and you can see all the video recorded to it. It may help prove who was at fault since people involved in collisions frequently lie about the facts surrounding the event.
I have my usb disk out of the car and the video was provided to my insurance. The glovebox initially didn’t open. I had to press the button and force it open on the side by bending the plastic. It was a minor detail but I did struggle with it for about 10 min. The video clearly showed the van had long time to stop but he didn’t slow down a bit.

I have my usb disk out of the car and the video was provided to my insurance. The glovebox initially didn’t open. I had to press the button and force it open on the side by bending the plastic. It was a minor detail but I did struggle with it for about 10 min. The video clearly showed the van had long time to stop but he didn’t slow down a bit.

I think I can speak for everyone here...we would love to see the video. :)

Reactions: Jo060 and Weeee
I had some bad headache on the second day but the doctor visit didn’t find anything too bad other than muscle pain. I’ll keep monitoring it while I have a PI lawyer ready. This might not worth a case but who knows.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
2022-11-16_08-32-33-back.mp4 here we go I hope posting this doesnt hurt my claim. I’ll have this live for limited amount of time to protect my privacy.

Ahh I see the explanation for the weird damage pattern. On the front of the truck, there is a structure off center under the bumper cover that sticks out further than the rest of the front area under the bumper cover. That is what impacted the center rear of your car. The center of the truck bent in via the left rear corner of your car.

• Informative
Reactions: ODWms and KenC
Ahh I see the explanation for the weird damage pattern. On the front of the truck, there is a structure off center under the bumper cover that sticks out further than the rest of the front area under the bumper cover. That is what impacted the center rear of your car. The center of the truck bent in via the left rear corner of your car.
Yep.
1668788714807.jpeg
1668788792847.jpeg

The van may be drivable, but it did lose all its water from the radiator.