Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Totaled after repaired

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey so my model 3 was involved in an accident in Jan 2023. Insurance didn’t total it and approved for it to be fixed. I waited 7 months for it to be completed. Insurance went to the shop and released the car. I’ve been driving the car now for almost a week and now the shop is letting me know that insurance is considering it a total loss. Is it possible for an insurance company to declare a total loss after the repairs have been done and the car released to me?

Absolutely, but not common. I am seeing evidence that insurance companies have stripped costs out of the back office so severely that their internal processes are full of errors and confusion. In the case you describe it is possible the insurance company just saw the total bill for the repairs and an internal review flagged this repair as exceeding the total loss threshold, so here you are.

I see the insurance companies decision as very beneficial to you. Let them total the car and move on with life with no concerns for long term value or reliability of the damaged car.

Seems like potentially a good situation for you? I assume you didn't have to pay anything directly out of pocket to the repair shop, since the insurance was covering it. So your only relationship is with your insurance company. By declaring a total loss, insurance will pay you used market value for your car. Sot that alone makes you whole.

On top of that, depending on your risk profile, you probably have the option to buy back the salvage vehicle at significantly lower than market value (possibly around $15K), if you feel the car is working just fine. There's a lot of complexities with registering and insuring a salvage vehicle, but you might be able to buy it back at quite discount. And unlike purchasing a third-party salvage vehicle with questionable history, the history of this vehicle is entirely yours, and you've been driving the repaired vehicle, so at least can judge yourself if the car is OK.

On my Model S that was totaled by a drunk driver a few months ago, I had the option to buy back the vehicle for $15K, which I think is about what a totaled Tesla with an intact HV battery goes for at auction. They declared it a total loss just because airbags went off, but I think it could have been repaired for $5-10K, I just didn't have any place to store the vehicle to get it repaired without blocking my driveway and other car. But it could have been a good deal. I think a later model 3 could be similar salvage value.

Similarly, a tree branch fell on a friend's old Toyota in front of their house last month, mainly breaking the windshield and denting the hood and fender. They got $8K for the total loss, and bought back the car for $1K. They've already replaced the windshield for a few hundred, so the car is driveable again, will find a parted out hood for cheap, and maybe will try to pull the dent on the fender but probably not. So back on the road for maybe $1500 all-in, maybe some slight dents and paint issues. But basically netted over $6K because of the total loss, and still have a usable and presentable car.