Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Total loss with Tesla insurance - would I get a comparable used Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hiline

Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2022
Los Angeles
I have a 2018 Model 3 insured by Tesla. If my car becomes a total loss, would there be an option to select a comparable Tesla from their used inventory for replacement instead of going through the finicky ACV negotiation? Has anyone gone through this process?

That’s not how insurance works. They will cut you a check and you can buy whatever you want. You don’t get to swap vehicles.

I figured. Just thought since this insurer also sells cars, this might be an option.

Anyway, I assume then that I could request a payout equal to the listed price for a similar car in the inventory on tesla.com, right?

I figured. Just thought since this insurer also sells cars, this might be an option.

Anyway, I assume then that I could request a payout equal to the listed price for a similar car in the inventory on tesla.com, right?
Haha! Good luck.

If you are expecting your insurance to make you whole again, I’ll assume this is the first time you’ve needed to use it and you are in for a big surprise.

Reactions: Hiline
Insurance company usually searches the web for similar vehicles and picks the least expensive one to determine your payout.
Makes sense, as you could get an equilivent vehicle to yours at that price.

You take that check and can keep the $ or buy the least expensive one on the web. You can also use it to purchase any other car of yourr choice.

They will also add on taxes and fees for a replacement.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hiline
Haha! Good luck.

If you are expecting your insurance to make you whole again, I’ll assume this is the first time you’ve needed to use it and you are in for a big surprise.

Insurance company usually searches the web for similar vehicles and picks the least expensive one to determine your payout.
Makes sense, as you could get an equilivent vehicle to yours at that price.

You take that check and can keep the $ or buy the least expensive one on the web. You can also use it to purchase any other car of yourr choice.

They will also add on taxes and fees for a replacement.

Thank you! Would the insurer also add dealer “options” and everything else that the dealer would tack on the vehicle? I know Tesla doesn’t do this but just about everyone else does, one of the reasons I was hoping Tesla insurance would just go by the prices listed on Tesla’s site.