Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top States to Own A Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The article says that CO has a $5000 rebate plus they waive sales tax which to the best of my knowledge is not true. There is no sales tax credit.
Correct. I noticed that mistake. There most definitely charge $$$$ales tax in Colorado. They also charge an extra $50 fee when registering an electric vehicle (if they figure out it is an electric vehicle). A friend wasn't charged the $50 when registering his Tesla even though he told them multiple times that there's no engine and that it doesn't use gas.

Correct. I noticed that mistake. There most definitely charge $$$$ales tax in Colorado. They also charge an extra $50 fee when registering an electric vehicle (if they figure out it is an electric vehicle). A friend wasn't charged the $50 when registering his Tesla even though he told them multiple times that there's no engine and that it doesn't use gas.

In Georgia, we have the pleasure of paying a $200 EV tax.

And that's on top of the TAVT which currently stands at 7% of the vehicle's worth... by the way the state determines how much the car is worth and of course, they jack it up as much as possible.

In Georgia, we have the pleasure of paying a $200 EV tax.

And that's on top of the TAVT which currently stands at 7% of the vehicle's worth... by the way the state determines how much the car is worth and of course, they jack it up as much as possible.
Yeah, in my county/town in Colorado, I think the sales taxes will be 7.75%. My friend got his in an unincorporated county and his sales taxes were closer to 4%. He was able to add a couple options more than me and ended up paying less than I'll have to pay.

Yeah, in my county/town in Colorado, I think the sales taxes will be 7.75%. My friend got his in an unincorporated county and his sales taxes were closer to 4%. He was able to add a couple options more than me and ended up paying less than I'll have to pay.
I pay just the state 2.9% sales tax on cars in unincorporated western Colorado. It isn't widely known, but that "state" sales tax stays in my county and is distributed proportionally to the various taxing authorities in the county, such as the school districts, fire districts, library districts, and so forth. Those living in or near the Front Range metro areas are sometimes subject to additional sales taxes for RTD, stadiums, and the like even if they live in unincorporated areas.

I suppose that it is possible that the new law on EV incentives might have also exempted them from sales taxes, but I haven't seen anything to verify that. So I agree that it seems to be a mistake in that US News article.

NH...zero sales tax. I guess they left NH off the list because we still lack a service center. Although with the population concentration in the southern part of the state, MA service is not too far away for most. Also, no known issues with delivery or registration. Tesla will flatbed new vehicles to your door and I've only heard good things about loaners or valet service. NH is considered EV friendly. Tesla sales and service will be welcomed here, so maybe we'll show up on a future list.