Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top Gear EV caravanning episode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JonB

Oct 31, 2021
UK
Last night I watched the Top Gear EV / towing episode which I thought was quite amusing. I was impressed when Flintoff and Evans scoffed those chillies (if indeed they were real)!

They tested three EVs towing "micro" caravans - an Audi e-Tron, Polestar 2 and Mercedes SUV (I forget the model). Surprised there was no Tesla - I think a M3LR would have outperformed all of them for range - but I know there is some history here (previous incarnation of TG seems to have falsified an "out of range" event, but Elon stated the car's log indicated the battery never got below 20%). So it's understandable if Tesla refused to supply a car.

What did you make of it? The towing range in particular, and do you think the M3LR would really have fared better under these circumstances?

Tesla don't seem to support the media very well in general, I don't thinkt hey even have a marketing department, when Carwow do their blasts down the runway they use second hand dealers (who often have very recent stock) for their cars.

I guess we'll never know how the LR would have done, the hooning around the mountain side would have probably caused my car to fall apart, they were fairly brutal with them while eating the chillis.

So it's understandable if Tesla refused to supply a car.
I think they are probably over that by now. Teslas have appeared on Top Gear since. Both as a test of the M3 and a group exec test in recent series.
Not really sure why Tesla would have been keen on this one though even if they were approached which is no certainty

"Hi Tesla Top gear here. Can we borrow a car to show how bad the range is towing a caravan please. We also plan to do extensive off road driving and will probably finish up with a shot of your car stranded by the side of the road. hello hello. oh we got cut off.

I know they say there is not such thing as bad publicity but.....

OK, so apart from the "Top Gear is [ace | crap] (delete where applicable)" debate, what about some range metrics for a LR towing a trailer? I know it will be bad, but how bad? Anyone got any real world experience they want to share?

OK, so apart from the "Top Gear is [ace | crap] (delete where applicable)" debate, what about some range metrics for a LR towing a trailer? I know it will be bad, but how bad? Anyone got any real world experience they want to share?
It's no answer but 'it depends'
Model X owners have much more experience and they talk about range being as low as half although from the pictures I've seen, those were for the more traditional caravans.

Thinking abou the Tesla - it probably couldn't have taken part anyway as its towing capacity is under 1000kg

The Polesar is 1500kg and the E-tron and EQC are both 1800kg

Top Gear is sponsored/supported by the oil and ICE car manufacturers so won't be giving Tesla any good reviews...

They tested a Model 3 against a BMW 3 Series and a Volvo S60 last year, Chris Harris said he would personally buy the Tesla even though the BMW won (on a technicality).

Have you tried connecting to WiFi to see if you have any updated views waiting to be installed? ;)

Reactions: phil4
Model X owners have much more experience and they talk about range being as low as half although from the pictures I've seen, those were for the more traditional caravans.

Thinking abou the Tesla - it probably couldn't have taken part anyway as its towing capacity is under 1000kg

The Mink caravan (OK, let's call it a sleeping pod) is only 495 kilos. One of the points made is the featured trailers are all lightweight, per the latest trends. In other words, I think the M3LR could have participated. Mink's brochure even shows it hitched up to a Model 3. But I couldn't help thinking that it'd be cheaper to get a mattress and sleep in the car (per Camp Mode), with a top box for stowage.

Last edited:

The Opus weighs 800kg in its basic trim. Even with some extras, it would’ve come in under 1000kg, so it would’ve been viable with a M3. I’d imagine the Opus was the heaviest of the lot of those three. I’m guessing they just didn’t fancy the Tesla.

Do a search of the forum. There are posts about towing across Europe ... even with a glider trailer! It's evidently doable. And given the increased charging requirements a Tesla is going to have an even bigger advantage than the other brands. I only tow locally so I have no relevant range data I'm afraid.

It does depend on the trailer being towed, taking into account both weight and aerodynamics. From my research, range loss is between 1/3 and 1/2.

Definitely possible (I tow a light dinghy, others do much bigger/heavier gliders). Range is hurt at speed, but you theoretically are maxing out at 60, right? That counters the loss a bit.

Over the course of a country long tow, abrp recons 1 extra charge.

I've done Edinburgh to Sunderland on a single charge, arriving at about 20% left.

Abrp has my reference wh/m for standard at 247, and 260 for towing.

Caravan would be way worse obviously. The boat sits in behind the car pretty politely.