Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toolbox 3 Gateway Configuration Edit on Model 3 / Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

terranx

Aug 29, 2019
USA
Anyone out there know how to do this? As best as I can tell, the menu the tesla techs use (something to the effect of dashboard -> infotainment -> vehicle configuration change) isn't present in the version of toolbox us mere mortals get access to. However, under actions, PROC_ICE_X_SAFE-SET-VEHICLE-CONFIGS is available. The parameters it accepts are ConfigParams (type List) and Configs Require Ice Reboot (presumably yes/no, true/false, 0/1, etc -- can be left blank though I believe).

1669580343186.png

From what I can tell digging through the app.f5d3cbaebb2ad903a936.js file, this action is what's invoked when making the gateway config changes the official way. I just can't figure out how to format the input. For example I'm trying to change id 32 to 01, and I've tried sending {32, 01} and many variants (with quotes, different brackets, etc), to no avail. I mostly get an error about not being to cast the input as a List.

Anyone out there know what to do or can help with some hints? I can share any other relevant info

Reactions: WhiteM3P-
I saw the "accessId": 17 is brakeHWType. I am wondering if I could change the value to 1 to showning the red caliper on UI/App? The description of 1 is "Performance package M3"

I have done the hardware upgrade of caplier into the performance. It work with zero alert. I have conect to one of the person who can change those value and he had successful try to add a matrix headlight on a 2020 model 3 in China. He said once he changed the id 17 into 1 on a 2020 model 3 the screen will show some alert telling he breaking is limit or unable.

Code:
{
      "accessId": 17,
      "codeKey": "brakeHWType",
      "content": {
        "enums": [
          {
            "codeKey": "BREMBO_P42_MANDO_43MOC",
            "description": "Base package for M3",
            "value": 0,
            "products": [
              "Model3",
              "ModelY"
            ]
          },
          {
            "codeKey": "BREMBO_LARGE_P42_BREMBO_44MOC",
            "description": "Performance package M3",
            "value": 1,
              "Model3",
              "ModelY"
            ]
          },
          {
            "codeKey": "BREMBO_LARGE_P42_MANDO_43MOC",
            "description": "Base package Model Y",
            "value": 2,
              "Model3",
              "ModelY"
            ]
          },
          {
            "codeKey": "BREMBO_LARGE_P42_BREMBO_LARGE_44MOC",
            "description": "Performance package Model Y",
            "value": 3,
              "Model3",
              "ModelY"
            ]
          },
          {
            "codeKey": "BREMBO2_42_44_D380_MANDO1_43_D365",
            "description": "Model S base brake package. Applied to Model S base and performance variants.",
              "Lychee",
              "Tamarind"
            ],
            "value": 4
          },
          {
            "codeKey": "BREMBO2_42_44_D395_MANDO1_43_D365",
            "description": "Model X base brake package. Applied to Model X base and performance variants.",
              "Lychee",
              "Tamarind"
            ],
            "value": 5
          },
          {
            "codeKey": "BREMBO_LARGE_P42_V2_BREMBO_44MOC",
            "description": "Performance brake package with new EPB motor for performance 3",
            "value": 6,
              "Model3",
              "ModelY"
            ]
          },
          {
            "codeKey": "BREMBO_LARGE_P42_V2_BREMBO_LARGE_44MOC",
            "description": "Performance brake package with new EPB motor for performance Y",
            "value": 7,
              "Model3",
              "ModelY"
            ]
          },
          {
            "codeKey": "BREMBO_LARGE_P42_V2_MANDO_43MOC",
            "description": "Base package for MY new EPB motor for quieter operation",
            "value": 8,
              "Model3",
              "ModelY"
            ]
          },
          {
            "codeKey": "BREMBO_P42_V2_MANDO_43MOC",
            "description": "Base package for M3 new EPB motor for quieter operation",
            "value": 9,
              "Model3",
              "ModelY"
            ]
          }
        ]
      },
      "description": "Brake caliper hardware type",
        "Model3",
        "ModelY",
        "Tamarind",
        "Lychee"
      ]
}
This affects more than just ui. It changes the values for what it looks for on rear ebp hardware. Hence the errors. Wouldn't do it unless you actually have the upgraded hardware. Also only shows red only on performance cars even with setting change.

Upvote 0
You could try setting 150 to 2 -- that's what sets the caliper color to red on the S/X. But my M3P has that set to 0, so it might just be something that's hardcoded on the model 3s

Code:
configid:
150 (cfg_calipercolortype)
data:
00 (UNKNOWN)
02 (RED)

Upvote 0
Then why can't they just go ahead and disable them already. They disabled the radar pretty easily a while back. So go ahead and disable the USS I mean it would be pretty nice to have the USS work in conjunction with the so-called Tesla vision. But since Tesla vision is literally just the cameras with no radar or USS why don't we just go ahead and disable the USS and BAM there you go we all have tap the park and High Fidelity Park assist. They either need to just go ahead and disable it now permanently or temporarily so The people that have USS can have those options. Theory is that they're just gathering more data from the USS to have it work with in conjunction with USS but what's the point if they're not making any more cars with those sensors
If nothing else because if they switched USS people over to Tesla Vision now, those owners would lose previously functional Summon/Smart Summon immediately, and anyone who isn't already on the 2024.2.11 software with the Tesla Vision Autopark would lose that functionality as well.

I doubt people would be very happy about that!

Reactions: davidalindsey
Upvote 0
Then why can't they just go ahead and disable them already. They disabled the radar pretty easily a while back. So go ahead and disable the USS I mean it would be pretty nice to have the USS work in conjunction with the so-called Tesla vision. But since Tesla vision is literally just the cameras with no radar or USS why don't we just go ahead and disable the USS and BAM there you go we all have tap the park and High Fidelity Park assist. They either need to just go ahead and disable it now permanently or temporarily so The people that have USS can have those options. Theory is that they're just gathering more data from the USS to have it work with in conjunction with USS but what's the point if they're not making any more cars with those sensors
I imagine it's for the same reason they have you sign the vision disclaimer when you take delivery of the car. Vision doesn't allow for features that are currently advertised, so they can't force people to it without causing some legal trouble. If they ever reach parity, then I imagine we'll see it disabled shortly afterwards.

It's too bad they're all in on the bone headed vision paradigm though. The vision visualization with USS to actually define the distances would actually be amazing.

Reactions: Durzel
Upvote 0
If nothing else because if they switched USS people over to Tesla Vision now, those owners would lose previously functional Summon/Smart Summon immediately, and anyone who isn't already on the 2024.2.11 software with the Tesla Vision Autopark would lose that functionality as well.

I doubt people would be very happy about that!
Ah, I didn't think about the smart summons not being available to non USS cars. That makes sense even though I've never used it in any practical manner.

Reactions: Durzel
Upvote 0
This affects more than just ui. It changes the values for what it looks for on rear ebp hardware. Hence the errors. Wouldn't do it unless you actually have the upgraded hardware. Also only shows red only on performance cars even with setting change.
Sounds like there is no benefit to modify this config event if I change the performance brake hardware.

Upvote 0
I would be careful about changing configuration settings for purely aesthetic reasons. I did it with the 2.0 console because I was confident that it wouldn't cause issues, mainly because it's fairly self contained (the hubs, etc are part of it).

We have no idea what config values Tesla uses to determine firmware decisions and compatibility. Whilst a setting might have the effect of making calipers show red, it could also be used in a more meaningful way internally, and if the car expects to find things that aren't there, or worse "overclocks" things that aren't meant to be, then it could create all kinds of problems.

Upvote 0
Sounds like there is no benefit to modify this config event if I change the performance brake hardware.
If you have actual performance brakes I can't imagine why the performance setting would be wrong. Unless there was some sort of wiring done to get the performance electronic parking brake to play nice with the non performance config.

Also there's apparently a V1 / V2 of the electronic parking brake. Tesla has also since added a separate electronic parking brake parameters (for left and right) which could maybe override the the parking brake selection of the first setting. On the model 3 I have access to, it's set to "NOT_SET", which I assume makes it make the decsion based on the brakehwtype parameter.

Code:
      "enums": [{
         "description": "Model 3 Performance package",
         "products": ["Model3", "ModelY", "Poppyseed"]
      }, {
         "description": "Performance brake package with updated electronic parking brake (EPB) motor for Model 3",
      },
      }]
(removed the non-relevant settings to make it easier to read)

Code:
{
   "accessId": 128,
   "codeKey": "epblHwType",
         "codeKey": "NOT_SET",
         "description": "Motor hardware config not set, refer to brakeHwType",
      }, {
         "codeKey": "MANDO_V1",
         "description": "Mando Gen1",
      }, {
         "codeKey": "MANDO_V2_NA",
         "description": "Mando Gen3 NA",
      }, {
         "codeKey": "MANDO_V2_CN",
         "description": "Mando Gen3 CN",
         "products": ["Model3", "ModelY"]
      }, {
         "codeKey": "BREMBO_V1",
         "description": "Brembo Gen1",
         "value": 4,
      }, {
         "codeKey": "BREMBO_V2",
         "description": "Brembo Gen3",
         "value": 5,
      }, {
         "codeKey": "MANDO_P2",
         "description": "Mando P2",
         "products": ["Lychee", "Tamarind"]
      }, {
         "codeKey": "AP_CCB_P2",
         "description": "AP carbon ceramic brake (2021+ Model S and Model X)",
      }]
   },
   "description": "Tracks type of electronic parking brake (left) (EPBL) motor hardware installed",
   "products": ["Lychee", "Model3", "ModelY", "Tamarind", "Poppyseed", "Cybertruck"]
}, {
   "accessId": 129,
   "codeKey": "epbrHwType",
      }, {
      }, {
      }, {
      }, {
      }, {
      }, {
      }, {
         "description": "AP carbon ceramic brake P2",
      }]
   },
   "description": "Tracks type of electronic parking brake (right) (EPBR) motor hardware installed",
   "products": ["Lychee", "Model3", "ModelY", "Tamarind", "Poppyseed", "Cybertruck"]
}

Upvote 0
If you have actual performance brakes I can't imagine why the performance setting would be wrong. Unless there was some sort of wiring done to get the performance electronic parking brake to play nice with the non performance config.

Also there's apparently a V1 / V2 of the electronic parking brake. Tesla has also since added a separate electronic parking brake parameters (for left and right) which could maybe override the the parking brake selection of the first setting. On the model 3 I have access to, it's set to "NOT_SET", which I assume makes it make the decsion based on the brakehwtype parameter.

Code:
         "description": "Model 3 Performance package",
      }, {
         "description": "Performance brake package with updated electronic parking brake (EPB) motor for Model 3",
      },
      }]
(removed the non-relevant settings to make it easier to read)

Code:
{
   "accessId": 128,
   "codeKey": "epblHwType",
      }, {
      }, {
      }, {
      }, {
      }, {
      }, {
      }, {
         "description": "AP carbon ceramic brake (2021+ Model S and Model X)",
      }]
   },
   "description": "Tracks type of electronic parking brake (left) (EPBL) motor hardware installed",
}, {
   "accessId": 129,
   "codeKey": "epbrHwType",
      }, {
      }, {
      }, {
      }, {
      }, {
      }, {
      }, {
         "description": "AP carbon ceramic brake P2",
      }]
   },
   "description": "Tracks type of electronic parking brake (right) (EPBR) motor hardware installed",
}
The “error” picture I posted Is the model3 without performance brake tested by the person I contacted. For the EPBR motor I pretty sure the different of v1 and v2 of performance motor. The plug on the top which should be the v1. On the profile should be the v2 also should the new quite motor. But I not sure if the Mando is for no performance motor. For now I am more confused about why performance brake can be work under the no_performance value setting. It work very well. Maybe the value 0 can be compatible for all brake motor. Not sure but will try to change this value on my car if possible. Under this condition I have not ideal why Tesla make this number 17 config it has this config.

Btw could you identify the model 3 you access. Does it a no performance one?

Attachments

• IMG_6090.jpeg
    IMG_6090.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6091.jpeg
    IMG_6091.jpeg
    238.7 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0
One thing just jump into my mind. Does US market has performance car without performance brake for a while on 2019 to 2020? I remember I saw it on news.
Yeah there was a "stealth performance" model available briefly which had the M3P motors but non-performance brakes and suspension

And yes, in the case of hte model 3, non performance has mando rear, performance has brembo rear.

Upvote 0
This might change in the near future since it seems to be fairly publicized now, but currently you can change pretty much any non-secured config via the service shell in toolbox as long as you know the relevant accessid/configid.
Sorry if it’s been mentioned already but is tail lamp type a secured config? Eg retrofitting the global tail lamps with amber turn signals. How about rear fogs?

Upvote 0
PSA to everyone going to do this, you cannot undo it!! Once it’s disabled USS it’s DISABLED!

I’m now stuck with Tesla Vision on a USS vehicle :)

gw-diag SET_CONFIG_DATA 00 98 00

I’ve run this but it didn’t change it and the car was still showing vision

I was able to undo it
Would be interesting to know if you guys have MCU2 (Intel Atom) or MCU3 (Ryzen) cars. I've seen some doubt that it might be exclusive to MCU3. I personally think the Intel is good enough, even for the V12 UI features that were annoucned today, but you never know.

Upvote 0
Would be interesting to know if you guys have MCU2 (Intel Atom) or MCU3 (Ryzen) cars. I've seen some doubt that it might be exclusive to MCU3. I personally think the Intel is good enough, even for the V12 UI features that were annoucned today, but you never know.
Intel vs Ryzen is an infotainment thing, not strictly Tesla Vision in terms of how it works. It’s possible the marshmallow view might be more laggy on an Atom though.

Upvote 0