Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  1. If you want to do this, you may have to get 265 rims for the back, since the rims in the back are generally 275.
  2. I wouldn't recommend it at all. The Model X is slightly wider in the rear, and generally is a very heavy car where the rear tires take a huge load.
Are you doing this for cost savings or easy rotation? I'd personally much rather put cheap tires but Tesla-spec rather than out-of-spec tires.

1. If you want to do this, you may have to get 265 rims for the back, since the rims in the back are generally 275.
  2. I wouldn't recommend it at all. The Model X is slightly wider in the rear, and generally is a very heavy car where the rear tires take a huge load.
Are you doing this for cost savings or easy rotation? I'd personally much rather put cheap tires but Tesla-spec rather than out-of-spec tires.

so much FUD here.

1. no, you can run 265s on a 9.5 wheel (wheel, not rim)
2. the x has near 50/50 weight distribution. tesla has sold square setup wheel packages for the x, direct to customers. for daily driving slightly less load rating on the back won't matter.
3. a square 265 setup will stop better than a crappy 265/275 setup. 🤦‍♂️

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
The weight distribution of the car (without passenger and load) is 50:50 between the front and rear wheels as measures in a weighbridge 2700+2700 lbs = 5400 lbs ( i think this is with 100D, long range battery).
Unless you are pulling a trailer or have substantially large load on the rear of the car, 265 all around should not pose any serious driving dynamics issue. It is my opinion, so you may like to check with an expert or Tesla.

Wow. So what I'm reading in this thread is that even though I have staggered 20-inch wheels on my P90DL X (20x9 front and 20x9.5 rear), that I can still buy four identical tires and rotate them? This is huge news. I might change my new tire order since they didn't arrive yet.
Some thoughts about Continental DWS06 Plus:
255/45R20 on all 4 wheels : XL rated. And Continental page says this size tire fits rims from 8 to 9.5 inches. If not towing, will these tires meet the weight spec?
265/45R20 on all 4 wheels : This seems like a great option, except that this specific Continental tire is not XL rated in this size for some reason.
275/45R20 on all 4 wheels : XL rated. This works, but I've seen reports that during extreme turns, front tires can rub.

Has anyone put four identical tires in 255/45R20 size or 265/45R20 size on the staggered 20-inch wheels on their X?

Wow. So what I'm reading in this thread is that even though I have staggered 20-inch wheels on my P90DL X (20x9 front and 20x9.5 rear), that I can still buy four identical tires and rotate them? This is huge news. I might change my new tire order since they didn't arrive yet.
255/45R20 on all 4 wheels : XL rated. And Continental page says this size tire fits rims from 8 to 9.5 inches. If not towing, will these tires meet the weight spec?
265/45R20 on all 4 wheels : This seems like a great option, except that this specific Continental tire is not XL rated in this size for some reason.
275/45R20 on all 4 wheels : XL rated. This works, but I've seen reports that during extreme turns, front tires can rub.

Has anyone put four identical tires in 255/45R20 size or 265/45R20 size on the staggered 20-inch wheels on their X?

Personally, I always considered staggered tires a feature. I never have to rotate my tires. Cool!

Personally, I always considered staggered tires a feature. I never have to rotate my tires. Cool!

275/45R20 will not work in the front . Discount tires had wrongly mounted my 275/45R20 tires in the front during tire rotation and I had to bring back the car as it was rubbing during turns.

275/45R20 will not work in the front . Discount tires had wrongly mounted my 275/45R20 tires in the front during tire rotation and I had to bring back the car as it was rubbing during turns.

275/45 R20 will work... If you switch out your wheels to thinner ones, you can put 275s all around.. (Or, get a set of front wheels only and put them on the back with 275s on them).

I'm running 275/45R20s all around on my X and no rubbing issue or wear marks.

275/45 R20 will work... If you switch out your wheels to thinner ones, you can put 275s all around.. (Or, get a set of front wheels only and put them on the back with 275s on them).

I'm running 275/45R20s all around on my X and no rubbing issue or wear marks.
Agree with you , I did not consider changing the wheel. So basically what you are indicating is if you want to go square on MX, you will either have to change the front or the rear wheel so that they are all compatible for square tire mounting 265 or 275 for all four tires .

Agree with you , I did not consider changing the wheel. So basically what you are indicating is if you want to go square on MX, you will either have to change the front or the rear wheel so that they are all compatible for square tire mounting 265 or 275 for all four tires .

Correct - the easiest way is (if you want to stick to the stock Tesla design), pick up a set of front wheels and use them w/275s (or 265s) and go square... Then you can rotate without issue... The problem becomes with the stock set if the rear wheels themselves move up, since they are slightly wider than the front; turning those will lead to rubbing issues.

I went with 275s all around for the higher load rating and slightly more surface area.

Correct - the easiest way is (if you want to stick to the stock Tesla design), pick up a set of front wheels and use them w/275s (or 265s) and go square... Then you can rotate without issue... The problem becomes with the stock set if the rear wheels themselves move up, since they are slightly wider than the front; turning those will lead to rubbing issues.

I went with 275s all around for the higher load rating and slightly more surface area.
Thx, i now have a proper understanding of all possible options.

Not sure this is true.
Just use the stock wheels 20x9 in front and 20x9.5 in rear, then put 265/45R20 tires on all 4 wheels.
Seems that you do *not* need to change any wheels, and everything is within spec, right?

I am not sure if you can rotate and put the 20X9.5 wheels in the front during tire rotation, and even if is theoretically possible , I guess we may need to ensure that both front wheels has to be of the same size . I am sure someone in the community can throw some more light on this.

you cannot put the 20x9.5" wheels (with 275s) from the rear to the front. it will rub the metal uprights and causing major, major metal-on-metal contact. the wider wheel and maybe the difference in offset will cause this metal-on-metal grinding noise.

if you run at "square" 20x9" wheel on all four corners, you can then rotate.

you just need a small spacer up front and it'll work