Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on Medusa Black wheel covers for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is from tesery product page, and 19” shows unidirectional. This is similar to what I had from a different source.
IMG_0454.jpeg

Those hub caps are designed for unidirectional rotation but then all 4 look the same. This mean, on one side of the car, they will be rotating in the wrong direction and create turbulence. This causes range loss. I had a similar set but then I replaced them with a set that has mirror imaged left and right sets.
None of Tesla’s oem wheels or covers are directional.

After reviewing many wheel cover options (Aliexpress, Amazon, other Tesla third party)….

I went with Rimetrix Medusa because the higher quality PPE material, the design, and being made in USA

Use code 26722NFDZ for $20 off expires Feb 14 2024

Did you pay for the Rimetrix Medusa’s, or did you get them for free?
The design of the Rimetrix are a deal breaker since they are impossible to remove without damaging them.

Did you pay for the Rimetrix Medusa’s, or did you get them for free?
The design of the Rimetrix are a deal breaker since they are impossible to remove without damaging them.
I had Rimetrix on my old M3. You can remove them without damaging them but you have to be careful. The issue I have with them is that some tire places may not be as careful as you when removing the center cap. Or some doofus may just jerk on them without realizing they need to remove the cap. This can be mitigated by either removing the caps yourself right before you give the car to someone to service or telling them that they need to remove the caps to remove the covers.

Rimetrix are just overpriced for their value. Right now the Lasfit Model Y covers for 19" wheels are $105 after a 5% coupon on Amazon, which is almost 60% less than Rimetrix. Rimetrix charges $85 just for one replacement, which you will need eventually because you can curb rash the covers which looks pretty much just as bad as curb rashing a wheel. The Lasfit have a very tight fit and look just as good as Rimetrix. I would also venture that they're close to Rimetrix with regards to efficiency.

I had Rimetrix on my old M3. You can remove them without damaging them but you have to be careful. The issue I have with them is that some tire places may not be as careful as you when removing the center cap. Or some doofus may just jerk on them without realizing they need to remove the cap. This can be mitigated by either removing the caps yourself right before you give the car to someone to service or telling them that they need to remove the caps to remove the covers.

Rimetrix are just overpriced for their value. Right now the Lasfit Model Y covers for 19" wheels are $105 after a 5% coupon on Amazon, which is almost 60% less than Rimetrix. Rimetrix charges $85 just for one replacement, which you will need eventually because you can curb rash the covers which looks pretty much just as bad as curb rashing a wheel. The Lasfit have a very tight fit and look just as good as Rimetrix. I would also venture that they're close to Rimetrix with regards to efficiency.
I had the Rimetrix on my Model Y before switching to LASFIT. Could not get them off without using a flathead screw driver.

I hate the locking mechanism on these. They are also very difficult to pull off when rotating tires. I am at the point that I regret getting these and prefer the convenience of the stock aero wheels. The Medusas look better but I always dread when I need to remove them. For me, the hassle isn't worth it and I prefer convenience over cosmetics and will stick with the stock Gemini wheels or slap on the stock aeros for long roadtrips.

Anyone interested in a set of used Medusas with some curb rash, lol?

I hate the locking mechanism on these. They are also very difficult to pull off when rotating tires. I am at the point that I regret getting these and prefer the convenience of the stock aero wheels. The Medusas look better but I always dread when I need to remove them. For me, the hassle isn't worth it and I prefer convenience over cosmetics and will stick with the stock Gemini wheels or slap on the stock aeros for long roadtrips.

Anyone interested in a set of used Medusas with some curb rash, lol?
How often are you needing to remove them? Lol

How often are you needing to remove them? Lol
Enough that it's become a hassle. I rotate tires every 6000 miles and that's every three months. Then there was a flat tire that also needed the cover removed. So by now I've removed a single Medusa cover at least 10 times in six months and it is a PITA. The center cap isn't the issue for me. The problem is the amount of force required to remove the covers after the center cap is off.

I'm 200 pounds and it takes all my weight to get one off. Two are locked in particularly tight and the cover flexes so much I always fear it's going to snap in half. One time the inner rib tabs actually did break and Rimetrix sent a replacement.

My wife also curbed one of the covers and it cracked in a way that left a sharp point dangerously close to the tire.

20240405_073201.jpg

Right now I have all four Medusas off and it's a relief. They look great but now I just have disdain for them when I see them in the corner of my garage. The product just isn't for me.

Last edited:
Enough that it's become a hassle. I rotate tires every 6000 miles and that's every three months. Then there was a flat tire that also needed the cover removed. So by now I've removed a single Medusa cover at least 10 times in six months and it is a PITA. The center cap isn't the issue for me. The problem is the amount of force required to remove the covers after the center cap is off.

I'm 200 pounds and it takes all my weight to get one off. Two are locked in particularly tight and the cover flexes so much I always fear it's going to snap in half. One time the inner rib tabs actually did break and Rimetrix sent a replacement.

My wife also curbed one of the covers and it cracked in a way that left a sharp point dangerously close to the tire.

View attachment 1035815

Right now I have all four Medusas off and it's a relief. They look great but now I just have disdain for them when I see them in the corner of my garage. The product just isn't for me.
I feel you, I had the original Rimetrix Laminars for a couple of years on my Y. They were a pain to get on/off. Always had to keep a flat head screwdriver in the car in case I got a flat so I could remove the wheel covers if needed.
Switched to LASFIT and never looked back.

I had the original Rimetrix on my M3 for 4 years, and they held up really well. I did remove them when I did my winter tire add and removal before taking to the store but that only took a few minutes. So after researching again between the materials, made in USA and my experience I just ordered the Medusa for my new MY. I did use another members discount code but found out that if you add anything else to the cart it will not work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had my Medusas off a couple of times since I got them and didn't find it to be a hassle at all. I used a nylon trim removal tool with a sharp bend at the end to loosen the center cap and a microfiber cloth between the tool and the main wheel cover. No scratches, no problems. If you're having trouble with yours try this method.

I will be removing them beforehand before any service that requires taking them off, I don't expect the techs to know how to deal with random aftermarket products without damaging them.

I've had my Medusas off a couple of times since I got them and didn't find it to be a hassle at all. I used a nylon trim removal tool with a sharp bend at the end to loosen the center cap and a microfiber cloth between the tool and the main wheel cover. No scratches, no problems. If you're having trouble with yours try this method.

I will be removing them beforehand before any service that requires taking them off, I don't expect the techs to know how to deal with random aftermarket products without damaging them.
The center cap is a cinch to remove and I apply the same method you describe. The hassle comes after the center cap is off.

With the amount of force needed to pull the cover off I have to wear work gloves or else the back edges cut into my hands. Even with gloves on I have to keep pulling and yanking for 5-10 minutes to get a single cover off sometimes. It flexes but won't detach. I am pulling so hard that I often fear the cover is going to split and break off a section. It holds on remarkably tight on the set I have, to the extent that center locking caps don't seem necessary at all.

Here is an installation tip:

Install foam tape along the edge of the lid. This will provide protection from hard contact with the rim and wheel cover. Please note that the force points of the wheel cover also need to be fitted with foam tape to avoid scratches when removing wheel friction. The correct installation is shown below.

1712744591549.png