Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is what happens when...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D2A24993-1AAD-43DD-9F8B-2CB6E96B29D0.jpeg
Visiting a friend. They have a J1772 Charger.
So I plug in, and when leaving, I got distracted and temporarily placed my J1772 Tesla adapter onto the trunk lid, then drove off. ....

Later when I couldn’t find the adapter, I felt that’s what I had done. Looked around, and found it on the road in this condition. Ugh.

Morale of the story, don’t place these things anywhere but in the car when done. :)

At least I know what’s in them now. ..

Ouch! My J1772 lives in the driver’s door pocket. Not sure if that makes this less likely to happen or not.

Well, it hasn’t happened to you, so your ahead of me there. :)

I actually used to keep it in the glove box. Then it was either the door pocket like you, or centre console compartment.
Did that with no problems for almost two years now.
Then this. :)

Didn’t help me in this case though.

Ouch. They're pricey too. I lost mine despite being terrified of doing so and having a place where it belongs and a mental policy to always make sure it's there before driving away (someone left an adapter at a local charger when we first got the car, so I was very aware this could happen). Even drove back to where I last used it (charger at a gas station), but couldn't find it, nor did the employees have it. $150 later... (Canadian conversion & taxes).

Better than laptop on the roof of the car. Drove away. Boss was screaming. Thankfully I noticed. It somehow stayed on the roof.

Thankfully the CHAdeMO adapter is a bit harder to lose. It's massive.

Reactions: M109Rider
I have three J1772 adapters; I like having backups. Original one with the car and two from eBay (they were fairly cheap; $49 and $50 including shipping). Keep two in the car and one in my garage. I used to use them regularly at work where I had access to L2 ChargePoint stations.

• Informative
I have three J1772 adapters; I like having backups. Original one with the car and two from eBay (they were fairly cheap; $49 and $50 including shipping). Keep two in the car and one in my garage. I used to use them regularly at work where I had access to L2 ChargePoint stations.

Are the eBay J17172 to Tesla adapters good.
They don’t do anything strange, like heat up, or anything like that ?
Thanks

Are the eBay J17172 to Tesla adapters good.
They don’t do anything strange, like heat up, or anything like that ?
Thanks
No. The two that I eBayed were in very good condition. However, just to be safe, I did clean the pins with Q-tips and isopropyl before first using them. If you're patient I think you can find one for about half the cost of one from the Tesla Shop.

The original J-1772 adapter I got with the car is part number 1067348-00-A. It is the "non-lip" version. The two from eBay are part number 1005617-00-B. There is a raised lip in the middle of the adapter barrel.

TeslaJ1772adapters.jpg

Functionally they are identical. It seems to only matter if you use a locking ring since I was never able to find a locking ring that works on both adapters.

Last edited:
  • Informative
I've always been too paranoid about scratching the paint to ever put things on the top of my car. Now I don't have to worry about it as much with the glass roof but I'm glad I never got into the habit. I have a coworker who has gone through several iPhones this way.