Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of buying a tesla, does it have the tech im looking for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey i have a job that im driving all day which is very fatiguing so thinking of buying tesla model 3 which heard has now self driving capabilities. My question is how far is the tech. I want a car that im basically not driving. So like tell it the destination and lay back while it takes me there without having to focus on the drive, like in a taxi. Is the tech there yet?

Solution
could you or someone please elaborate why not? ive seen videos on utube of ppl just sitting not touching the wheel or pedals. Do you not just enter destination and the car does the rest?

Yes, you enter a destination and FSD Beta will drive you there. But FSD Beta requires driver supervision and it can make mistakes, sometimes bad ones. So you need to pay attention and be prepared to take over. You cannot just relax and let it drive you, like a taxi. FSD Beta is considered L2 meaning it is a driver assist. It can do steering and braking to follow a route but it cannot necessarily respond to every scenario so you need to pay attention. Since it is a driver assist, you are still responsible for what the car does.

EDIT: FSD Beta...
hey i have a job that im driving all day which is very fatiguing so thinking of buying tesla model 3 which heard has now self driving capabilities. My question is how far is the tech. I want a car that im basically not driving. So like tell it the destination and lay back while it takes me there without having to focus on the drive, like in a taxi. Is the tech there yet?

No. The tech is not there yet. FSD Beta which is in early access testing can "self-drive" but it requires constant supervision and you need to be prepared to take over when it makes a mistake. You cannot stop paying attention and let it drive you like a taxi.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
could you or someone please elaborate why not? ive seen videos on utube of ppl just sitting not touching the wheel or pedals. Do you not just enter destination and the car does the rest?

Yes, you enter a destination and FSD Beta will drive you there. But FSD Beta requires driver supervision and it can make mistakes, sometimes bad ones. So you need to pay attention and be prepared to take over. You cannot just relax and let it drive you, like a taxi. FSD Beta is considered L2 meaning it is a driver assist. It can do steering and braking to follow a route but it cannot necessarily respond to every scenario so you need to pay attention. Since it is a driver assist, you are still responsible for what the car does.

EDIT: FSD Beta is not available yet in Israel where you live. So, if you purchase the "FSD" option, you would not get what you see in the FSD Beta videos.

Last edited:
Reactions: TresLA
Upvote 1
Solution

The functionality you describe from the videos you saw is still under development and is only released to a very limited number of people for testing. I think it will be a while before it is widely released, particularly internationally.

Reactions: DaveG_NJ
Upvote 0

EDIT: FSD Beta is not available yet in Israel where you live. So, if you purchase the "FSD" option, you would not get what you see in the FSD Beta videos.
i see, guess it is not ready for me than, esp that not in israel yet which i didnt know. looking forward to the future when it will be. thanks for the info!

Upvote 0
FSD Beta is not available yet in Israel where you live. So, if you purchase the "FSD" option, you would not get what you see in the FSD Beta videos.

Just to be clear for anyone reading and potentially misinterpreting the above:

FSD Beta is not available* anywhere in the world at the moment.
(* "available" as in you could pay for it and then based on your purchase get an access to it)

There is a promised timeline shared by Elon that "Navigate on City Streets" feature will become available for testing to ones who pre-paid for it in US within a week. It should be noted that this far Tesla has not kept any of the previous Elon's promises on FSD timelines. Thus I would be advice to wait until it has been confirmed that you can actually purchase FSD and have "Navigate on City Streets" feature delivered based on your purchase within a known time period without any lotteries, NDA requirements, safety score requirement, ... or other silliness.

Furthermore, it should be noted that while "Navigate on City Streets" feature a significant step towards the "Fully Self-Driving" car, it is not that yet. It is a L2 driver aid that requires continuous supervision of a driver who remains responsible for driving. There is no credible timeline by Tesla on when actual FSD (as in L4 or L5) might be available.

Upvote 0
Furthermore, it should be noted that while "Navigate on City Streets" feature a significant step towards the "Fully Self-Driving" car, it is not that yet. It is a L2 driver aid that requires continuous supervision of a driver who remains responsible for driving. There is no credible timeline by Tesla on when actual FSD (as in L4 or L5) might be available.

I think I was clear on that part though:

But FSD Beta requires driver supervision and it can make mistakes, sometimes bad ones. So you need to pay attention and be prepared to take over. You cannot just relax and let it drive you, like a taxi. FSD Beta is considered L2 meaning it is a driver assist. It can do steering and braking to follow a route but it cannot necessarily respond to every scenario so you need to pay attention. Since it is a driver assist, you are still responsible for what the car does.
No. The tech is not there yet. FSD Beta which is in early access testing can "self-drive" but it requires constant supervision and you need to be prepared to take over when it makes a mistake. You cannot stop paying attention and let it drive you like a taxi.

Reactions: t3sl4drvr
Upvote 0
I have a home inland in Tampa and a beach house in St. Pete. It takes me 45 minuets every Friday to go to St. Pete. I take two main highways and a stop and go main drive to the beach. I have EAP (not FSD) and the car basically drives itself. Yes, you have to pay attention but it's like you're taking off in a plane and then the fun part begins by turning on Navigate on AP and just keeping an eye on her. I've had two incidents in a few months where other drivers were not paying attention and coming into my lane and my Tesla threw up red warning signs, bells and whistles. The 45 minute drive feels like I've been in the car for 15 minutes that's how little I do anything on EAP. On another note, I went to a car dealer to look at a 2020 Model 3. The car cost 54K and it had 4,000 less miles than my 2018. The car did not have FSD active which meant that it would have cost me $200 per month to activate it or pay an additional lump of cash to get and use it. I realized coming to this forum that the sales people outside of Tesla know nothing about these cars. They told me it had FSD and they would be correct but, it only had the computer and the ability for FSD so they didn't tell me everything about their car which my car basically shaded on all levels. Find a used one with Enhanced Autopilot and you'll have all the benefits and only lack the stopping at lights and stop signs. If you're highway driving, EAP will auto pass, keep the distance you set, set the speed, off ramp and on ramp and it autosteers like a dream.

Attachments

• TService.png
    TService.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: rxlawdude
Upvote 0