Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thermal test in new SW update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

geordi

Mr Fusion V.1
Jun 14, 2022
Connecticut
My 2016 X just got update yesterday, 2023.12.5 and There are some new features in the service mode.

One of these is a thermal test and it might explain some of what I have recently been experiencing, high power usage (460+) on the highway even when not towing. I will try to add the screenshots of what it tested, anybody have any idea where the temperature sensors are that it references?

Everything in the test passed except for the temperature sensors. It went through a whole cycle for about five minutes and I could hear it changing locations of the airflow and changing the temperature and putting out a fair amount of heat into the cabin as well as ice cold air conditioning so at least for the cabin, everything is working fine but I would like to also know that the climate control for the battery is also working well. I can’t figure out if maybe it is just stuck with the battery heater on all the time or something because this is the same kind of power usage I was getting when towing about an 800 pound trailer at the same speeds and that shouldn’t be.

8C74F4B2-69C8-41FA-B9FC-6FA774C15F20.jpeg8605533E-C382-4F9F-BA24-05A35970E639.jpeg

Any resolution on this? It may be the evaporator temp sensor or the driver or passenger HVAC sensors. It looks like they need to add some more details to this HVAC test routine but at least they have some sort of test the end user can run with an indication that something is not right.

I found that my power usage (at least some of it) was from the air suspension compressor. I had a leak, a burned out compressor (from the leak) and a buggy sensor in the valve block. It may also have been leaking from the reservoir line. Current power usage on the highway at 75mph is 400 wh/mi in my model X

I ran a thermal test on my 2015 MS 85D, Temperature sensor fail as well, does anyone know if this is one specific sensor? Is there a group of sensors that can trigger this failure statement, or is there a way to further evaluate and isolate which sensor is causing the error? The test set to generate adequate heat and cool through the HVAC system.