Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Saga Continues: Starting to Regret My Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is an update on the previous thread:
"I'm curious if anyone else out there has had a lot of issues in a short time or if I drew the short straw?
I purchased my 3 AWD exactly 1 month ago to the day. I arrived at the delivery center barely containing my excitement. I signed the paperwork, they handed me the keys and said bye bye...I had to ask them to go over the bare minimum since I'd never sat in a 3 before. I notice several white circles around paint defects. I point this out to the delivery person and their solution is to wipe them off. I didn't have a chance to take a picture before they did that. To say the least, my delivery experience was not great. I'm still super excite to finally have a Tesla.

Day 1 - I discovered that the microphone on my new car wasn't working. I tried calling the service center but they didn't answer and their voicemail box was full.
Day 2 - I give the car a very close inspection to document all the paint issues to determine if I'm going to keep the vehicle or return it within the 7 days. I discover several more paint issues, a bump-out on the rear bumper and the window seals are wrinkled. I set up a service appt. via the mobile app to address some of these because I cannot get a hold of the service center.
Day 3 - The microphone starts working.
Day 4 - I have a front motor disabled, reduced power message appear. I tried calling the service center again with the same result. This message went away after a few hours of not driving. I assume it was just a bug.
Day 5 - I end up calling the national sales number because I can't get a hold of my local sales person. I have to decide in the next 24-36 hours if I'm keeping the car and that depends on if they agree to fix the paint issues.
Day 6 - I get assurance that they will fix the paint issues so I decide to keep the vehicle.
Day 7 - Discover that the Sentry Cam feature isn't working on my vehicle. Writing files that cannot be opened.
Day 10 - Service tech comes, fixes window seals, does software update and tells me Sentry Cam is working. I test it out later that day and it's not working. I've been searching this forum and have purchased 3 different flash drives in an effort to get it functioning.
Day 15ish- autopilot randomly keeps disengaging anytime there is a shadow on the road. Did not previously do this.
Day 20 - I follow up with the sales person that assured me that they would fix my paint. They say that it is still about 30 days out before an appointment opens up.
Day 28- Driving 75 mph on the highway in autopilot, the car drops out of auto pilot and give me a rear motor is disabled, power reduced. I'm in the fast lane and cannot go over 50 mph now. I limp home going 45-50 on the highway. Call service center and for the first time ever someone answers. I tell him the issue and he says that if it doesn't go away by the morning I can bring it in on Friday (3 days away). I test it every few hours and am getting the same result. I decide that I will just have to tough it out on my 40 mi commute for the next 3 days.
Day 29- Try to leave for work at 6:45 and I have a new message when I try to put the car into reverse... Car Disabled, pull vehicle over. I call the mobile service and they dispatch a tow truck. 3 hours later it arrives and my car get taken too the service center. I'm told that they won't have a loaner for a few days but they will provide Uber credit until then. I get a call 2 hours later saying that they have loaner for me. I go to pick up the loaner and find out that it could be several weeks before they can replace the rear motor.
Day 30- I realize that I have driven 2087 miles and had a lot of issues. Start questioning if I've made a huge mistake. - End Rant

tl;dr - I've had the car for less than a month, lots of small issues until yesterday when my motor went out."

My 6 week old model 3 has now been in the shop for 2 of the 6 weeks I've owned it. It has it's second new rear drive unit installed and I'm being told that the rear sub frame is now needing to be replaced. The service adviser that I was working with has left that center and I cannot get anyone there to return a call to get an estimate on when I might be able to pick my vehicle up. I really wish that Tesla had better customer service, the lack of communication and compassion is really starting to get to me. I feel like a nuisance when I try to get the most basic information about what is happening with my car. I looked into the Colorado lemon law and my vehicle has to be out of commission for 30 business days in order to qualify. I guess in another month I can start the legal process getting a refund.

Does sound like a terrible experience for you.
My only advise is to focus on those big ticket major items and forget about those smaller issues from this point given the big items have caused you multiple problems in such a short time; not trying to sound like a jerk but you mentioning things like Sentry mode, microphone and the other lesser details makes it sound like you are complaining.
Having motor failures and the other issues are a whole entirely different level of problem yet many readers of this post may not even read far enough down your list to realize it.

that sucks OP. Honestly yes, you are just unlucky. I hope it works out. Auto makers try hard to avoid lemon law applications so hopefully you can work something out with them.
Does sound like a terrible experience for you.
My only advise is to focus on those big ticket major items and forget about those smaller issues from this point given the big items have caused you multiple problems in such a short time; not trying to sound like a jerk but you mentioning things like Sentry mode, microphone and the other lesser details makes it sound like you are complaining.
Having motor failures and the other issues are a whole entirely different level of problem yet many readers of this post may not even read far enough down your list to realize it.
I get it though. Minor things bother you way more when there are big issues going on.