Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New RAV4 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rav4 EV (to be merged)

I posted this in the RAV 4 EV thread but I think this thread gets more traffic so I'll post it here too:

Why does the RAV 4 EV only get 100 miles of range if they're using the same motor and battery as Tesla? I don't get how they're selling a small SUV for the same price as a Model S, and it still has less range.

Can somebody explain to me why the RAV 4 EV only has a 100 miles of range even though they're using Tesla's motor and battery packs? You would think they'd be able to get more range if they're using the same technology as Tesla.
Toyota's "100 mile" range is supposedly a real-world range - comparable to the EPA range number. Range at a constant 55 mph will probably be around 135 miles (compare to Tesla Model S 40 kWh 160 miles). I'd bet that most of this range hit when comparing the two cars is due to the much larger drag coefficient of the RAV4-EV.

Toyota's "100 mile" range is supposedly a real-world range - comparable to the EPA range number. Range at a constant 55 mph will probably be around 135 miles (compare to Tesla Model S 40 kWh 160 miles). I'd bet that most of this range hit when comparing the two cars is due to the much larger drag coefficient of the RAV4-EV.

True, and it is likely that the 160 mile range Model S will get an EPA range of around 112 miles.

Larry

Yikes, what is all that stuff under the hood? Looks more like a regular car...
2012-toyota-rav4-ev_100389863_m.jpg

Yeah, how many different fluids do they need? Coolant and windshield washer... what are the other 2?

And if there was any doubt about EVs and separate 12V batteries....

Is it just me or does 50K MSRP seem a bit high? I know that doesn't take tax credits into consideration (or does it?) but I was hoping for something like 29-35K. THAT would have been great to see. Essentially, it costs about 10K less than an entry level Model S (which would have better range, better performance, and more luxurious features). I think the Model S is aptly priced to compete well but I don't think the Rav4 is...but that's just me.

Yes, unlike the LEAF and Volt who may actually be losing money on each car for now, it would seem that Toyota is taking a very conservative approach with their high MSRP and for now are only looking to satisfy California emission regulation rather than aggressively market this EV. From the John Voelcker Green Cars Report reference earlier:

Surprising many at the event, Toyota revealed its production plans: It expects to build and sell roughly 2,600 RAV4 EVs over the next three years, and it will launch in only four California regions.

That’s only a fraction of the 10,000 or so Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid models that the company will likely sell during 2012. It would appear to indicate that the RAV4 EV is essentially more a “compliance car”—designed to meet California Zero-Emission Vehicle rules—than a product Toyota plans to market and sell aggressively across the country.

This is not unexpected, but it is nevertheless disappointing.

Larry

Yeah, how many different fluids do they need? Coolant and windshield washer... what are the other 2?

And if there was any doubt about EVs and separate 12V batteries....
Brake fluid is one, not sure what the fourth would be. Could be power steering fluid I suppose. I'm also not sure why they are using a full sized 12V battery, unless it's to keep extra reserve capacity to power the BMS in sleep mode or something.

Seems like a poor choice on the price from a marketing perspective. If they had picked $47,499 they could have hit a $39,999 after rebate price. But I guess at less than 1000 units a year they aren't really trying....

I'm hoping that after they get the low hanging fruit with Californian early adopters, that after testing the market they will modify their approach, increase volume, lower the price and get a bit more creative in marketing. I keep thinking about that $billion potential deal Elon aluded to after the initial $100 million order was announced.

Larry

Last edited:
I posted this in the RAV 4 EV thread but I think this thread gets more traffic so I'll post it here too:

Why does the RAV 4 EV only get 100 miles of range if they're using the same motor and battery as Tesla? I don't get how they're selling a small SUV for the same price as a Model S, and it still has less range.
The S is not the same price, the base S is $10K more than the RAV. Battery and motor technology can not make a less efficient vehicle more efficient. The RAV has a larger cdA so it won't go as far with the same pack, and we don't actually know how large the RAV pack is.

I don't know the specs but likely a heavier and less aerodynamic car (the RAV4 EV) than the Model S.