Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas in Canberra

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Beritknight and billm,

Congratulations on your orders and in making your first posts!

Maybe we will bump in to each other at the Goulburn supercharger on the way up or down one day!

If you check out the thread "List of confirmed Australian orders" there are a number of forum members listing ACT as their state.

You can also post the details of your car spec to that thread and Timpoo can add to the spreadsheet when he has a chance (hope I am not sobbing you in here Timpoo)

The spreadsheet is, I suspect, getting a little out of date and also obviously only includes members of this forum who have posted their details, but it gives you an idea of the locations and types of spec that people have ordered.

Did a weekend trip to Canberra and lake Eucumbine trout farm. Used the Goulburn supercharger, and ate at the soldiers club. A really nice venue, by the way. It is likely to benefit most from travelers. You can also keep an eye on your car from there. Charged to 100% at the Realm and then set out for lake Eucumbine. A hill climb for virtually the entire 150 km. The last 12 km on reasonably good dirt. ( sorry, Devvie). Good sport-free fishing and allowed two per rod from the sure thing pond. They prepare the fish and provide chips and salad and one can then BBQ on site. With a nice Riesling, heaven. Fish that fresh is wonderful.
On the return, the nav did its thing. Told me I would be minus 4% at the end, and caused a bit of a panic. All I had was the UMC and I had arranged to get some electrons at the Cooma visitor center. Difficult, you have to drive into the adjacent park to get near to the exterior power points. Anyway, I then realized that the nav was routing me to Goulburn superchargers!!?? To go back to Canberra? Once I closed the charging advice, all settled down and I got back to the hotel with 18%. I did charge for an hour in Cooma. So, likely would have been 16%.
Devvie is now covered in dust which has penetrated everywhere, so Monday is going to be fun with a major wash scheduled.
The nav really needs serious work!! Especially the range assurance aspect.

310 km. And yes, I should have been able to do it easily and stress free, as I had pre planned with ev trip planner, but I found I used way more in consumption than estimated on both trips, both Sydney to Goulburn and the lake Eucumbene trip. I had not factored in 4 adults and heaps of luggage.

I'm not sure where the best place is to ask this, so I'll try here:

Someone on another forum has said:

The fastest I've driven between Canberra and Melbourne is 6 hours and 15 mins with me just swapping with the missus. This is literally impossible with a Tesla. I have a few friend who are from Melbourne and they frequently drive to Melbourne when they finish work between 4-5pm on a Friday so they can be back by midnight. I can see this being a serious issue for them.

Would 45 minutes of supercharging be enough? In two stops, I guess?

need to be back in Melbourne by midnight? What happens at midnight? Their car turns back in to a pumpkin?

6 hours 15 is fast enough but 7 is not, I think their just making excuses.

Yeah, saw someone in the comments section of a website making a general EV comment about not being able to go 300km in one trip. Obviously wasn't aware of the Model S. When he was made aware suddenly he needed to go 600km at once. Without stopping. Around dirt tracks on farms. And he had to tow heavy loads.

Yeah, saw someone in the comments section of a website making a general EV comment about not being able to go 300km in one trip. Obviously wasn't aware of the Model S. When he was made aware suddenly he needed to go 600km at once. Without stopping. Around dirt tracks on farms. And he had to tow heavy loads.

Yep, I know the type, then when an EV is capable of 600kms range, they will then say "but what happens if I'm on the farm and get bitten by a snake and need to drive 1200kms to Burnt stump district hospital without stopping?" I expect they haven't heard of the RFDS also!

Haters gonna hate.
You should see the **** over on Whirlpool forums. They criticise one thing, then if that criticism is countered, they just go on to something else- no reason, no provocation, simple reactive hatred. Ugly, useless, destructive, unfair.
People suck, sometimes.

Haters gonna hate.
You should see the **** over on Whirlpool forums. They criticise one thing, then if that criticism is countered, they just go on to something else- no reason, no provocation, simple reactive hatred. Ugly, useless, destructive, unfair.
People suck, sometimes.

ICUdoc, The naysayers have nothing left, just repeating the same debunked myths, you will find its the same small percentage of people who invade the forums, opinion pieces, blogs and facebook pages.
On a more upbeat note from what I have witnessed at two different car displays are that the general public appear very positive about Electric cars, renewable energy and battery storage, a lot of people of various ages I talked to had no idea about Tesla cars but gee whiz they virtually all knew about the Tesla power wall and all the other stuff, when they got to look over a Model S it was great to see the excitement on people's faces.
ICUdoc, keep hammering away at the naysayers on the forums, have pleasure in the fact these insular individuals will have to live with modern transport and renewable energy sooner than they think.