Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any logs?
What version of Teslamate are you using?
Using 1.28.2.
In the logs i get when using ”docker-compose logs teslamate” nothing in the logs shows any signs of making a backup. It is as if it is not done at all.
Maybe a dumb observation, but I cannot use 'docker compose'. I have to use 'docker-compose'.
My system is running on a Raspberry Pi. Could it be as simple as not including the dash?
You are correct, i use Docker-compose with the dash. I also run it on a pi.

Just to clarify, what folder is your yml file in and from where are you running the backup command? Are you running your backup from the command line or from cron?
Edit: try running the command without the "> /backuplocation/teslamate.bck"
lets see what that outputs.

Using 1.28.2.
In the logs i get when using ”docker-compose logs teslamate” nothing in the logs shows any signs of making a backup. It is as if it is not done at all.

You are correct, i use Docker-compose with the dash. I also run it on a pi.
Just to clarify, what folder is your yml file in and from where are you running the backup command? Are you running your backup from the command line or from cron?
Edit: try running the command without the "> /backuplocation/teslamate.bck"
lets see what that outputs.
Also, is the DB user for that instance ‘teslamate’?

Trying to figure out if the user you’ve set in the command exists.
Assuming they are fixed up per Need help creating a Teslamate backup · teslamate-org/teslamate · Discussion #3551. Commands and errors are the same.

Reactions: doats1 and init6
In searching for a solution to automate my garage door with the Tesla (beyond the crappy cloud-based subscription MyQ that Tesla offers), I came upon 'tesla-geogdo' and 'ratdgo'.

Does anyone have experience with Teslamate and Tesla-GeoGDO?

Using the MQTT broker, which is available within Teslamate, this can apparently be set up to obtain live location information from Teslamate and control your garage door using geofencing. This avoids the cloud-based MyQ subscription service that Tesla supports.

In conjunction with this, there is another github project where Paul Wieland developed (and sells) a simple interface board called 'ratgdo' which attaches to your garage door opener, making it 'smart' and capable of being queried and controlled via MQTT making this a complete solution with no need for any cloud services. Here is the 'ratgdo' project:

There are a couple of forums discussing 'ratgdo', and people seem very happy with it. But - all of the forum discussions I have found revolve around integration with Home Assistant. I have not found any prior experience using this with Teslamate, but it seems like it should work well... Here is an example of a discussion of 'ratgdo' in the context of Home Assistant:

I was hoping that a fellow Teslamate user has been down this road an could offer some 'lessons learned'.

In searching for a solution to automate my garage door with the Tesla (beyond the crappy cloud-based subscription MyQ that Tesla offers), I came upon 'tesla-geogdo' and 'ratdgo'.

Using the MQTT broker, which is available within Teslamate, this can apparently be set up to obtain live location information from Teslamate and control your garage door using geofencing. This avoids the cloud-based MyQ subscription service that Tesla supports.

In conjunction with this, there is another github project where Paul Wieland developed (and sells) a simple interface board called 'ratgdo' which attaches to your garage door opener, making it 'smart' and capable of being queried and controlled via MQTT making this a complete solution with no need for any cloud services. Here is the 'ratgdo' project:

There are a couple of forums discussing 'ratgdo', and people seem very happy with it. But - all of the forum discussions I have found revolve around integration with Home Assistant. I have not found any prior experience using this with Teslamate, but it seems like it should work well... Here is an example of a discussion of 'ratgdo' in the context of Home Assistant:

I was hoping that a fellow Teslamate user has been down this road an could offer some 'lessons learned'.
I think ratgdo's stand out feature is that it can communicate with MYQ doors in it's own language - you can work externally to that by simply using the appropriate terminals on your door opener with an external garage door controller.

I use a zigbee door opener that I got from aliexpress - it was less than $20 AUD and it works like a charm. Yes - I'm using MQTT form teslamate and doing the automation of the door in home assistant - you will find a lot of reference to home assistant because it is really the gold standard in home automation as it integrates with nearly everything.

I have homelink in my car but have all it's automatic features disabled as the home assistant automation is clever enough to work around false positives, such as doing 3 point turns in the driveway, arriving with door already open etc. I also have it set up to notify me about the door being open when it shouldn't be (such as time based, position of sun and when noone is home). If you go down that path though, be warned there is an assumption that you enjoy tinkering with things.

Reactions: init6
I think ratgdo's stand out feature is that it can communicate with MYQ doors in it's own language
I thought I read that MYQ has changed their API and clamped things down, making home automation users and tinkerers angry and thus looking for alternatives...

What is the interface between your Home Assistant and Zigbee? So - I think you are saying that Teslamate publishes vehicle location via MQTT and your Home Assistant subscribes, interprets proximity and commands the Zigbee door opener? Obviously your opener must provide status (door open / closed, opening, closing, etc.) to avoid false or missed actions. Do you have limit switches, or can the Zigbee interface query the status of the door? When you say Zigbee "door opener" I assume you are not referring to the garage door opener itself, but rather an interface (similar to ratgdo) that speaks Zigbee and is hardwired to control the existing opener?

Are you running all of this on a single computer? I assume you could do all of this on a Raspberry Pi if you aren't already? I like the idea of a very lite machine like this when it is running 24/7, and have been happily running Teslamate on a RPi4.

I thought I read that MYQ has changed their API and clamped things down, making home automation users and tinkerers angry and thus looking for alternatives...
Yes - so having a web connected interface to the MyQ server through a free open source platform like HA is out, hence the outrage.

I'm not using MYQ so haven't looking in deeply but I think MYQ offers other features like lights, camera, door position etc. which is handled by it's protocol. Ratdgo interacts with those features (providing that MYQ doesn't changed their communications via firmware.

MYQ can't lock you out from locally pressing the button, and I've not seen a garage door opener yet that doesn't have terminals to hard wire a an external button. Plenty of devices that can do that button press in a 'smart' way.

What is the interface between your Home Assistant and Zigbee?

HA has zigbee features built in, you just need to have a zigbee controller connected to your HA hardware (mine has it built in). There's also wifi ones if you don't want to deal with zigbee.

I think you are saying that Teslamate publishes vehicle location via MQTT and your Home Assistant subscribes, interprets proximity and commands the Zigbee door opener?
That's right. You can build automations that are as complex as you like. MQTT provides vehicle heading, speed etc. so you can include those in the rule to prevent drive by openings etc.

Here's a view of the UI view to build them.

1701994179261.png

Obviously your opener must provide status (door open / closed, opening, closing, etc.) to avoid false or missed actions. Do you have limit switches, or can the Zigbee interface query the status of the door?

Yes it has a magnetic reed switch to tell when the door is open and will pulse the contactor when it receives the command to do so from Home Assistant. Home assistant has an integration called 'cover' where you tell it the conditions for open/close/position etc. and it will then combine all those functions in to a single garage door device for use throughout home assistant, google home etc. Here's what it looks like on my dashboard (phone app, web browser etc,.) Mine basically considers that if it's not closed, then it's open, which is easily good enough. You can write the covers to account for open/close time or add an open position sensor if you really wanted to, but you wouldn't gain much for the effort.

1701994458545.png

When you say Zigbee "door opener" I assume you are not referring to the garage door opener itself, but rather an interface (similar to ratgdo) that speaks Zigbee and is hardwired to control the existing opener?
exactly. Mine is a tuya based one, very cheap. I'd send you the model but to be honest I'd get a different one if I was doing it again as I think there's one that are much more plug and play than the one I chose. I got it working though and I'm no guru.

Are you running all of this on a single computer? I assume you could do all of this on a Raspberry Pi if you aren't already? I like the idea of a very lite machine like this when it is running 24/7, and have been happily running Teslamate on a RPi4.
Yes it's running on a pi. I was running it on a 3B+ while new to the ecosystem, but upgraded to a home assistant yellow, which runs on a Pi CM4. My teslamate runs locally on another CM4 but you could absolutely run them on the same device as docker containers if you wanted to. You can run home assistant containerised, I just chose to use the OS based version because it makes it much easier to follow others instructions to get things done.

I'm by no means saying this is the best solution but it's one that works really well for me. Keep in mind that if you have any network issues, 4G issues, tesla auth issues etc. then the garage door won't open automatically. As I've got homelink, there's nothing more than a once in a blue moon quirk for me, as there's a button on the screen to open it the old fashioned way.

@alexeiw123 - Thanks for all the detailed information.

I had no trouble getting teslamate running on the Pi, and I have been very impressed by it. I am glad to see that members here have stepped up in order to maintain it going forward.

I am an engineer with a fair amount of programming experience, but Docker is completely foreign to me, and I need to learn more about it before tackling anything like this from my side. It is good to hear another perspective as to how this can be done.

There's also wifi ones if you don't want to deal with zigbee.
Absolutely, I strongly recommend the DIY approach. When I had my garage door fitted, the installer wanted £200 extra for wifi and app integration via some dodgy looking app (probably linked to Chinese manufacturer of the door motor/controller). Most door controllers have wiring for an external switch, I found the connection descriptions for mine from documentation found online and I connected a Shelly 1 wifi switch (£15) running on 12V output from the controller. My door controller needs a momentary switch to open and close the door, this is simple to replicate on Shelly by having auto-switch-off timer of 0.5 seconds on activation.

Automations can be done quite easily once you have this installed, and integration via HA is kept in-house to me with only Apple HomeKit integration and no dodgy external cloud connections or apps required.

Just as a follow-up to my own question -

I purchased a 'ratgdo' board, and have successfully gotten it working with teslamate using the 'tesla-geogdo' utility available here:

This approach uses the Mosquitto MQTT broker which is already part of a teslamate docker install. 'tesla-geogcd' is added to the teslamate configuration as a 5th docker container. Navigation data obtained by teslamate is conveyed to tesla-geogdo through Mosquitto which allows you to define geofences to open and close your garage door based on the proximity of your vehicle. The ratgdo board is connected to the garage door opener to actually control the door.

This is all done without any connection to the cloud, and without requiring any subscriptions. Other options include integration with Home Assistant.

So far, it is working very well. The author of 'tesla-geogdo' was instrumental in helping me to debug the configuration. He was always very responsive and willing to assist.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zigway
I noticed yesterday that my Teslamate was broken due to the change in Tesla authentication method back in November. I have since upgraded to the latest Teslamate version and got it back up and running with capturing my current data. However I see that I am missing Drive, Charge, and other data from 11/16/2023 through now when I got Teslamate back up and running. Is it possible that the data exists somewhere in the bowels of Teslamate's database or elsewhere so I can fill in that gap back into Teslamate's proper tables?

Yes - so having a web connected interface to the MyQ server through a free open source platform like HA is out, hence the outrage.

I'm not using MYQ so haven't looking in deeply but I think MYQ offers other features like lights, camera, door position etc. which is handled by it's protocol. Ratdgo interacts with those features (providing that MYQ doesn't changed their communications via firmware.

MYQ can't lock you out from locally pressing the button, and I've not seen a garage door opener yet that doesn't have terminals to hard wire a an external button. Plenty of devices that can do that button press in a 'smart' way.

HA has zigbee features built in, you just need to have a zigbee controller connected to your HA hardware (mine has it built in). There's also wifi ones if you don't want to deal with zigbee.

That's right. You can build automations that are as complex as you like. MQTT provides vehicle heading, speed etc. so you can include those in the rule to prevent drive by openings etc.

Here's a view of the UI view to build them.

View attachment 997428

Yes it has a magnetic reed switch to tell when the door is open and will pulse the contactor when it receives the command to do so from Home Assistant. Home assistant has an integration called 'cover' where you tell it the conditions for open/close/position etc. and it will then combine all those functions in to a single garage door device for use throughout home assistant, google home etc. Here's what it looks like on my dashboard (phone app, web browser etc,.) Mine basically considers that if it's not closed, then it's open, which is easily good enough. You can write the covers to account for open/close time or add an open position sensor if you really wanted to, but you wouldn't gain much for the effort.

View attachment 997429

exactly. Mine is a tuya based one, very cheap. I'd send you the model but to be honest I'd get a different one if I was doing it again as I think there's one that are much more plug and play than the one I chose. I got it working though and I'm no guru.

Yes it's running on a pi. I was running it on a 3B+ while new to the ecosystem, but upgraded to a home assistant yellow, which runs on a Pi CM4. My teslamate runs locally on another CM4 but you could absolutely run them on the same device as docker containers if you wanted to. You can run home assistant containerised, I just chose to use the OS based version because it makes it much easier to follow others instructions to get things done.

I'm by no means saying this is the best solution but it's one that works really well for me. Keep in mind that if you have any network issues, 4G issues, tesla auth issues etc. then the garage door won't open automatically. As I've got homelink, there's nothing more than a once in a blue moon quirk for me, as there's a button on the screen to open it the old fashioned way.
Hi I am wondering why you consider the Drive state for this automation? The assumption would be that if the tracker changes from Away to Home the car would be in D anyway.

I am looking to do the same thing - thanks for the inspiration - but occasionally drive past without stopping so intend to include a condition stating the car speed is below 40kph. We'll see how that goes.

Last edited:
Recently I’ve been seeing this icon with the letter “A” constantly showing up in the upper right corner of my screen. Apparently it has to do with apps accessing my location. Is this due to the updated version of Teslamate? I have enabled the Streaming API in Teslamate Settings. I have no apps other than Teslamate accesing my car.

I’m also concerned it may be impacting my car’s battery because I am seeing the attached “Mobile Apps” usage when I look at the Energy screen on my Tesla.

Attachments

• IMG_2540.jpeg
    IMG_2540.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2541.jpeg
    IMG_2541.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 17
Recently I’ve been seeing this icon with the letter “A” constantly showing up in the upper right corner of my screen. Apparently it has to do with apps accessing my location. Is this due to the updated version of Teslamate? I have enabled the Streaming API in Teslamate Settings. I have no apps other than Teslamate accesing my car.
No, it is due to the new car firmware. It is just a visual notification that you are being tracked. There should be no difference in energy usage than before it was there.