Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslafi May have reduced my electric bill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
H

hcdavis3

My bill this month was down by 50 bucks. I totaled 100 bucks the previous month for the EV portion of my bill. 50 bucks this time. My driving routine has not changed. I didn’t use Teslafi the first full month so I really don’t know for sure if Teslafi helped. I’ve been able to get my car to sleep every time the past billing cycle. There’s no range loss while my 3 is asleep. I’d love to hear from the more knowledgeable people here about your thoughts on this. We have ridiculously high electric rates here in MA. I’m paying 25 cents per kWh all in.
Thanks in advance.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
Do you have time of use power?

I find it very, very unlikely that the car being asleep / awake reduced your bill by $50. What's more likely is that now that the weather is warmer, you're using less cabin heat.

-J
Thanks comp. I think you’re absolutely right. I didn’t factor the weather into my equation. Sadly no TOU power here in MA.

My bill this month was down by 50 bucks. I totaled 100 bucks the previous month for the EV portion of my bill. 50 bucks this time. My driving routine has not changed. I didn’t use Teslafi the first full month so I really don’t know for sure if Teslafi helped. I’ve been able to get my car to sleep every time the past billing cycle. There’s no range loss while my 3 is asleep. I’d love to hear from the more knowledgeable people here about your thoughts on this. We have ridiculously high electric rates here in MA. I’m paying 25 cents per kWh all in.
Thanks in advance.
You may want to check with your electricity provider and find out if they have any EV charging incentives. In NYC we have equally high pricing per kWh, but they offer three programs to bring those costs down. One involves adding a separate meter, the other switching to a TOU meter and the third required no expense on my part, which was to plug in a C2 device into the car, and set it to charge between 12AM and 8AM. I now get .10kWh back in incentives a month which I can cash in with an amazon gift card (or another e-gift card). I’ve collected close to $200 back already via the smart charge rewards program with ConEd.

You may want to check with your electricity provider and find out if they have any EV charging incentives. In NYC we have equally high pricing per kWh, but they offer three programs to bring those costs down. One involves adding a separate meter, the other switching to a TOU meter and the third required no expense on my part, which was to plug in a C2 device into the car, and set it to charge between 12AM and 8AM. I now get .10kWh back in incentives a month which I can cash in with an amazon gift card (or another e-gift card). I’ve collected close to $200 back already via the smart charge rewards program with ConEd.
Sadly Golan no Time of use here. Thanks.

TeslaFi stops polling the car to let it sleep. It can't tell the car to sleep. But it can let you know if the car is sleeping, and you can experiment with settings in the car (and fob distance) to maximize the time asleep. Once you've done that, TeslaFi can't help the car sleep any more than it would without TeslaFi.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
TeslaFi stops polling the car to let it sleep. It can't tell the car to sleep. But it can let you know if the car is sleeping, and you can experiment with settings in the car (and fob distance) to maximize the time asleep. Once you've done that, TeslaFi can't help the car sleep any more than it would without TeslaFi.
Good to know. Thanks animorph.

$50 reduction is over 1,500 miles at 13c/kwh (around the national avg).

Zero chance your car was phantom burning 380 kwh worth of energy.
Thanks very much TM. I never thought that I was burning 380 kWh. I’m curious to see what my bill is after this one. I’m not very good at doing the necessary calculations and tend to oversimplify my bill. I think warmer temps have a lot to do with the reduction in my bill. I’ve gone from lead foot to hyper miler starting a month after I got my car and that may be a factor as well. My whs per mile are around 210 or at times a little lower. On my longest trips that I make 3 times a week I get 175 wh per mile. No highway driving. I’m paying 25 cents per kWh here in MA.

Good Morning h - off topic here, but do you have solar or have you ever considered solar to help reduce electricity costs ?
Morning j. Funny. I used to sell solar for Vivint. After a brief stint with them I retired. I had one of my techs come to my house to do a survey. We even did the Sol Eye Solmetric part and not enough sun. On our southern facing roof the sun is blocked by a beautiful River Birch which my CFO (wife) refused to have removed. It would have been cool if it did work out because I would have gotten a fat commission even if I sold the system to myself.

Ahh - I can see how a fully leafed out River Birch can block the sun. I've never signed up for Teslafi. Is it worth it in your opinion ?
Absolutely j. It’s 50 bucks a year with a free trial. It provides me with a ton of useful data. I used to have Stats but I couldn’t figure out how to stop it from polling my Model 3, so my car never slept. It sleeps now every time with the correct sleep settings and as a result I have zero phantom drain. Teslafi shows me the fleet and which cars have which firmware. 2 model 3s so far with 2019.16, but I’m sure those are Tesla’s cars. I get valuable information on my charges, my drives etc. Give a try. You’ll have to get a token in order for it to work, which means you’ll have to input your Tesla account’s login and password. Some people think that’s bad, I don’t. You may find it’s really worth it.

Attachments

• 64D13592-6A4D-41A6-918B-97EA8954D185.png
    64D13592-6A4D-41A6-918B-97EA8954D185.png
    522.9 KB · Views: 67