Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesladashcam.com?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had this unit for about one month. It works as advertised and no one can see or tell there is a dash cam running.

I have been able to download video onto my iPhone but I prefer every so often removing the card and downloading directly to my computer. If one prefers aesthetics, this is the way to go. Those preferring functionality, other options are available.

• Informative
Reactions: Mattzilla and BertL
Mine just came yesterday - will install tomorrow.

Bought it here. Prime shipping and easy returns with Amazon...same camera.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FTYU70Y/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Appreciate the Amazon link. Looking forward to getting your thoughts on the thing.

Using the standard install procedure, it appears that the camera only records when the car is on. Is that correct? However, surely there is a way to tap "always on" power given the location of the install.

• Disagree
Reactions: bmah
I've got one of these from Amazon as well. The install is a little finicky in terms of the plastic housing snapping into place just right, but it wasn't too bad. Power was very easy to tap. They have a Youtube video, which made far more sense than the Engrish instructions.

The default wifi password is in the instruction manual, which may be easy to miss given the number of other goodies (phone holders, etc) that they stuffed in the box.

Also speaking of that, you can telnet into the dash cam on its wifi network -- it's running Linux on some sort of armv6 processor with hostapd providing wifi, so if you're a Linux junkie the possibilities are endless (e.g. getting it to connect to wifi as a client, auto-upload video, you name it). But if you're not a Linux junkie, the takeaway is change the default wifi password because the last thing you want in your car is an easily rootable device with wifi, a camera, a microphone and GPS!

I've got one of these from Amazon as well. The install is a little finicky in terms of the plastic housing snapping into place just right, but it wasn't too bad. Power was very easy to tap. They have a Youtube video, which made far more sense than the Engrish instructions.

The default wifi password is in the instruction manual, which may be easy to miss given the number of other goodies (phone holders, etc) that they stuffed in the box.

Also speaking of that, you can telnet into the dash cam on its wifi network -- it's running Linux on some sort of armv6 processor with hostapd providing wifi, so if you're a Linux junkie the possibilities are endless (e.g. getting it to connect to wifi as a client, auto-upload video, you name it). But if you're not a Linux junkie, the takeaway is change the default wifi password because the last thing you want in your car is an easily rootable device with wifi, a camera, a microphone and GPS!

Is the power always on or only on when the car is turned on?

This should be always on. It is the same connector as the blackvue taps into.

I messaged the shop on Exclusive Parts and they concur it is not "always on" power. However, they say you can get to always on power (but don't offer any explanation of how to do this). Here is their reply to me:

"The only way to do that is to not use the intended power source but another one that is powered all the time
there is a permanent power just above the lightning so if you ware to drag extra wire down to the camera that would work out"