Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Y Back windows open occasionally on their own?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had this happen randomly a couple of times in our 2022 Model S - we'd plug into a Supercharger, go into the store, and then receive a "window is open" notification in the app. Different windows, partially or completely open, no obvious pattern - it was very puzzling.

We raised a Service issue for it with specific times and locations and when they looked at the car's logs, every single incident was preceded by a press on a window control button. We were dubious, but decided to concentrate on *not* pressing on those buttons as we got out.

It hasn't happened since...

Upvote 0
They can also close on their own. I've tried to keep the windows open a crack in the hot weather, closed the door, and they go up. Not what I want them to do to keep the car cooler. I've also seen the back passenger window and the front passenger window go down on their own (no button pressing), as I close the driver's door. That has happened a few times now.

Upvote 0
Model Y's and 3's do not have an option in their phone apps for window functions.
IMG_7544.jpeg

Upvote 0
Not in my app (4.19.5) it doesn't. The option was removed some months ago when there was a "recall" for the 3 and Y's windows not meeting NHTSA's automatic stop feature when a certain amount of resistance was encountered when closing, for safety reasons. The "recall" was not needed in the S or X, hence the app for those models still inherits the window feature. Some regions outside the USA may still include the function.

Really hoping the window function returns some day. These are all the options the latest app includes:

i-xZgr3jm-X2.jpg

Thread on this:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not in my app (4.19.5) it doesn't. The option was removed some months ago when there was a "recall" for the 3 and Y's windows not meeting NHTSA's automatic stop feature when a certain amount of resistance was encountered when closing, for safety reasons. The "recall" was not needed in the S or X, hence the app for those models still inherits the window feature. Some regions outside the USA may still include the function.

Really hoping the window function returns some day. These are all the options the latest app includes:

i-xZgr3jm-X2.jpg

Thread on this:
I’ve seen a handful of reports of people regaining the vent and windows close on lock functionality. it seems they’ve fixed it and are deploying the update. Although the reports I’ve seen said it just appeared one day and didn’t coincide with a software update.

Upvote 0

i-xZgr3jm-X2.jpg

Thread on this:
I've had it since Day One and it never went away.

Upvote 0
I had/have the same problem. I set up a service appointment but because I didn't have the times that the window events occurred they asked if it could wait until I get some examples. Of course, since then it hasn't happened (about five days now). Not a big deal at all, it just opened the back window slightly once when it was sleeting out, thankfully no water got in, but it got me to make a service appointment.

Upvote 0