Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X HEPA Filter retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How / where can you order a HEPA filter? Is it just a case of ringing up the nearest SC's and seeing if they will sell one to you? I have an X on order and ideally would like to try to get one ordered while I am waiting for the vehicle to be built / delivered.

I did try emailing my OA but didn't get a reply.

Yes, you can just ask the service center to order you the part. Also, if you happened to select the premium upgrade package for your X, you will already have one.

Yes, you can just ask the service center to order you the part. Also, if you happened to select the premium upgrade package for your X, you will already have one.
That's the issue - I don't have PUP. Reading some of the threads on this forum it seems that SC's are now refusing to order the HEPA filter for non PUP cars.

Anyone order and use this one? I'm thinking about getting it and calling it a day, but want to know if it works well.

Yes, that is the filter that I installed and noted earlier in the thread. The fit is perfect. As for effectiveness, I can only comment on what I perceive and so far I haven't noticed any odors getting into the cabin. I've paid attention when older cars or diesel trucks are in front of me. With the filter installed, I don't smell fuel. That confirms the carbon working, but I have no way of knowing if the particle filtration is also working as spec'd.

I tried getting my SC to order the HEPA filter for me - despite my best efforts they held firm and said they can’t sell one to me as I didn’t order the PUP.

Does anyone know of a SC that is still willing to sell it?

I tried getting my SC to order the HEPA filter for me - despite my best efforts they held firm and said they can’t sell one to me as I didn’t order the PUP.

Does anyone know of a SC that is still willing to sell it?

Try Parts department or just call again 2 or 3 times. Don’t ask for BWD, just HEPA filter, that may help. The BWD is just turning your fan onto 10 and turning recirculating off so nothing fancy there. Good luck!

Try Parts department or just call again 2 or 3 times. Don’t ask for BWD, just HEPA filter, that may help. The BWD is just turning your fan onto 10 and turning recirculating off so nothing fancy there. Good luck!
Yes, didn’t mention BWD - just asked to order the HEPA filter. They said they can’t sell the part to me.

I have learned a lot from this thread so I'd like to post my story and hope it can help others. Background: I had a non-PUP X up for delivery.

Before taking delivery, I asked my OA to order the part for me (gave him the part number), and initially he said the service center has one in stock. However when I ask him to place the order, he told me once he dug deeper it seems that Tesla has changed process and this parts can no longer be installed on non-PUP model X.

Knowing that I can't get what I want, I told him it's fine. Then at the delivery day (8/30/2018), I directly spoke to service and parts, asking to buy that part. Immediately they said they have one in stock and they can sell it to me and even asked if I want it to be installed for additional $40-50 (the cashier wasn't sure about the labor cost). I said sure if you can install it right now. A very nice tech is nearby and heard our conversation. He said he can install it right now. He even explained that they will not be able to enable the software button but the filter will fit with no problem.

So 15 mins later, vola, I have the HEPA filter installed! They even waived labor fee since I just took delivery!

So the moral of the story is, don't give up easily. Try reaching out to service and parts in person, and maybe you will get surprised result.

• Informative
Reactions: dogldogl
Hmm I wonder if they will ship to the UK.

It’s interesting my SC said that some parts are “locational” and only available in US. Considering it’s the same cars made in the same place is a bit of a joke you can buy something in the US but not UK :(

Asked service center about this a few days ago. Said he researched it and the official word is that installing the HEPA filter will not be effective unless the software is also added. Recommended against just installing the filter.

Believe at sometime in the future they will make adding the filter and software available as a package.

Asked service center about this a few days ago. Said he researched it and the official word is that installing the HEPA filter will not be effective unless the software is also added. Recommended against just installing the filter.

Believe at sometime in the future they will make adding the filter and software available as a package.

I doubt it. It is standard equipment now, since PUP is now standard.

Last edited:
I ordered on 7/18, I believe the upgraded price including PUP standard came two days later. I could also swear they included premium audio as well since the sound is on par with my S that had premium audio, I drove an S that didn’t have premium audio and there was a huge difference between the two

• Informative
Reactions: Terthen