Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector fits over 2-gang US electrical box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TL;DR: Tesla Wall Connector screw holes line up with the holes on a 2-gang electrical box.

I recently purchased a new construction townhouse in Seattle. The house had been pre-wired for an electric car charger. The 60 amp circuit was terminated in a 2-gang electrical box. I was considering how to clearly get the cables from this box into the Tesla Wall Connector.

When placing the template over the box, I noticed that the screw holes for the back panel perfectly line up with the screw holes on the box. I was able to cover the electrical box and mount the charger with the addition of just two wall anchors above the box. I used two of the screws from the electrical box cover for the bottom, and the wall anchor screws for the wall anchors. I used a hole saw (I had a 5/8ths from another project) to drill a hole in the center of the back panel, in a spot that lined up well with the center of the electrical box.

The electrician didn’t leave enough cable inside the box to follow the wire channel that Tesla recommends, but I was able to securely connect them to the back panel and the whole setup feels sturdy.

2 gang electrical box with two drywall anchors above it.
Tesla wall box mounting screws lined up with 2 gang electrical box.
Tesla walls charger back plate mounted on wall, fully covering 2 gang electrical box.
Tesla Wall charger mounted on wall.

@alexbbt Glad you posted this. I am converting from a NEMA 14-50 outlet (today!), and stopped thankfully to read your post. I step drilled using the lower left hole guide per the instructions. For me to cover the 2 gang opening, I would have to have super precision drywall anchoring with no margin of error where I might need to use drywall compound to hid the opening. I totally forgot about drilling a new hole instead.

I almost wish the base was wider so I can screw into the stud the 2 gang box is connected to. My box in plastic, so for the lower screws will likely use drywall anchors. Thank you for the post!