Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla video footage - Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I was involved in an accident on August 27th at around 7:30- 7:45pm PST. I stopped at a red light off of a freeway exit and waited for the left only green light to turn. As it turned green I started making a left turn which was a left turn only and some car came out of no where and side swiped me and damaged my passenger doors. I have been looking everywhere to find out how I can pull or get the video from Tesla. I unfortunately did not have a USB plugged in but is there anywhere that the video got saved to which I can obtain it. I went into two Tesla service shops and neither was able to assist.

I’m 100% sure I am not at fault for the accident but want the video footage. Please please help. How can I obtain the video. Does Tesla have it and is it out there somewhere and how can I get it.

AFAIK if you didn't have a USB drive plugged in - there's no video to retrieve - as that is where the video is stored before it is uploaded to Tesla if you allow for that in your settings. Without the USB - video data is not instantaneously uploaded OTA to Tesla or anywhere else. That said, I hope I'm wrong for your account. The lesson learned here is - always have a formatted USB installed for video capture at all times.

AFAIK if you didn't have a USB drive plugged in - there's no video to retrieve -
When my USB drive stopped working I was uncomfortable driving until I got a new thumb drive.
The lesson learned here is - always have a formatted USB installed for video capture at all times.
There is some bad info on this forum about formatting a USB drive FAT32 on your PC. Problem, Windows 11 doesn't format FAT32 unless the drive is 32GB or smaller, the drive that comes with a new car is 128GB.

Simple fix, format it in your car.

1696458728137.png

Last edited:
When my USB drive stopped working I was uncomfortable driving until I got a new thumb drive.

There is some bad info on this forum about formatting a USB drive FAT32 on your PC. Problem, Windows 11 doesn't format FAT32 unless the drive is 32GB or smaller, the drive that comes with a new car is 128GB.

Simple fix, format it in your car.

View attachment 979689

Thats the way windows has been for quite some time (windows 10 has the same issue with formatting fat32). The instructions to format fat32 are likely carried over from legacy threads here (with "legacy" for tesla model 3s being like 2018/2019) when fat32 was the only format that was supported.

Thats no longer the case, so there is no longer any fat32 requirement.

Hello All,

I was involved in an accident on August 27th at around 7:30- 7:45pm PST. I stopped at a red light off of a freeway exit and waited for the left only green light to turn. As it turned green I started making a left turn which was a left turn only and some car came out of no where and side swiped me and damaged my passenger doors. I have been looking everywhere to find out how I can pull or get the video from Tesla. I unfortunately did not have a USB plugged in but is there anywhere that the video got saved to which I can obtain it. I went into two Tesla service shops and neither was able to assist.

I’m 100% sure I am not at fault for the accident but want the video footage. Please please help. How can I obtain the video. Does Tesla have it and is it out there somewhere and how can I get it.
Tesla needs to include a cloud in their software update.