Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gas in not subsidized at least in Europe. In fact, it's taxed quite heavily. It's that externalities are not priced in correctly or at all. So it should be much more expensive in reality.
It's interesting that gasoline is subsidized when produced and then taxed when sold. I guess the circle would be complete if the taxes paid for the subsidies.

What an idiot for not having a tool handy to block it from fully closing on his finger!!!
Oh, and let's try it closer to the hinge, maybe it will work better??? He is lacking an understanding of physics and leverage as in moments!

Good news for Optimus and FSD - competition with humans should not be hard to beat.
He trusted Tesla and their OTA update for closing a frunk safely. Bad human!

Not sure I understand this, can you elaborate a little?
Seems like they are saying that when people buy into the FUD and aren't interested in the facts, that their opinion can be disregarded.

In your case specifically, any weight you give this anecdotal episode of people you know may be unwarranted when the facts contradict their purchase choice being based on logic and reason. (or, there were other circumstances that steered the choice, such as impact on their budget, rather any anything about Tesla or their products)

Sometimes folks will speak as though it was something about the product they didn't like to avoid admitting the purchase didn't fit their current budget. Likewise, there are many other illogical reasons to base a choice on.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Unpilot
Not sure I understand this, can you elaborate a little?
When you said "the non Tesla people in my life mock it ceaselessly and my father and brother cancelled their orders", my point was that I don't make my decisions based on what folks who don't care to operate on facts think or say...

Last edited:
Tesla's update is great, under normal usage conditions.
Repeatedly requesting the frunk to close indicates it is safe to do so and the vehicle uses greater force each consecutive attempt. Blocking it repeatedly and then changing the blocking object is not normal behavior.
Just like holding the window close button with your finger in the gap is a bad idea.

You're posting old news that has already been addressed by Tesla. In response to that video, a Tesla lead engineer replied that it starts with an attempted soft-close, but each repeated press of the close button with an unsuccessful close incrementally increases the force:

So the only case where this would happen is in this kind of testing scenario, where someone repeatedly primes the force of the frunk by having it unsuccessfully close.

Seems like they are saying that when people buy into the FUD and aren't interested in the facts, that their opinion can be disregarded.

In your case specifically, any weight you give this anecdotal episode of people you know may be unwarranted when the facts contradict their purchase choice being based on logic and reason. (or, there were other circumstances that steered the choice, such as impact on their budget, rather any anything about Tesla or their products)

Sometimes folks will speak as though it was something about the product they didn't like to avoid admitting the purchase didn't fit their current budget.
Sometimes? :rolleyes:
Same as - let's hate the rich guy no matter what.

What an idiot for not having a tool handy to block it from fully closing on his finger!!!
Oh, and let's try it closer to the hinge, maybe it will work better??? He is lacking an understanding of physics and leverage as in moments!

Good news for Optimus and FSD - competition with humans should not be hard to beat.

*Ninja'd by a couple of posters above. Nicely done mongo and willow_hiller.*

*But, I'm going to leave my comment here, becuase I'm rather proud of my final sentence.*

Not sure why replicant brought this up again without noting the reality. We learned on Thursday that this is working as designed, and in a potentially useful, logical way -- see the tweet from Tesla engineer Wes Morrill below.

The only reason the frunk lid came down so hard was becaues it "knew" it hadn't closed properly on several previous attempts, and was commanded yet again by the human to close. So, it was "trying" harder. In other words, it's not going to come down that hard on a person by accident. The person has to block the frunk and tell it to close multiple times in a row to cause the increased force...so the frunk is just "doing its best" to complete the job the person is repeatedly commanding it to do.

I thought we wanted the machines to obey us?

1715010204475.png

Last edited:
When you said "the non Tesla people in my life mock it ceaselessly and my father and brother cancelled their orders", my point was that I don't make my decisions based on what folks who don't care to operate on facts...
OK, that’s legit. Just understand I’m not making any decisions based on their thinking, nor should anyone here. I’m just reporting my own surroundings, a sample size of 1.

This was faked.

I also thought the numerous lawsuits were evidence enough.

It was determined that demo had a route pre-selected and that at that point was tuned to succeed for some specifics along that route.

Given what Elon said in the X post you cited was "Longer version of self-driving demo with Paint It Black soundtrack". Where is the lie there?

And do you think that any hi-tech demo of systems that aren't finished (nor claimed to be) that are carefully crafted is tantamount to lying?

Me sees guy with finger at hinge line....internal algorithm says don't watch click bait.
I'm waiting for someone to stick their head in the CT windows, and right at the ear-line! Should be worth about 2M clicks.
Enter Jackass 5.0 🤣

Also, I suspect these Frunk comments will be moved to OT. However...

Is this new evidence of AI and should we not keep studying how it is learning to adapt to idiots? o_O

Next rev... the Pillar Camera detects a human with something protruding towards an open Frunk and the speaker makes the sound of a Jackass. Hee-Haw!

You're posting old news that has already been addressed by Tesla. In response to that video, a Tesla lead engineer replied that it starts with an attempted soft-close, but each repeated press of the close button with an unsuccessful close incrementally increases the force:

So the only case where this would happen is in this kind of testing scenario, where someone repeatedly primes the force of the frunk by having it unsuccessfully close.
Did you read my initial post? That was:
But that wasn't enough I guess.

Also, my "bad human" reply is not to the video but to to the comment that "He is lacking an understanding of physics and leverage as in moments!".

Maybe the "/sarcasm" was missing there too. Because the video is clickbait. But it does say everything you should know about the OTA fix and the algo that makes the test irrelevant (watch at 2:28). But did you watch it?

Now why am I sharing this here now? Because the SP is boringly flat and more importantly because I didn't hear about that OTA update and the algo fix to detect increasingly small objects. I did read about the cut carrots an split bananas in this thread, though. So I hope you learned something new today too.

Me sees guy with finger at hinge line....internal algorithm says don't watch click bait.
Unpilot knows!

I think it's correct but...it's a part of the 14 000 layoff they can't layoff in one email in one day 14 000 people they make it progressively
Tesla said from the start that layoff 14000 or more and it's 10% ore more in worldwide
But media track every layoff that making confusion that's new it's not new !

• Informative
Reactions: sunwarriors