Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
Housing movements can be very localized, but my area has been relatively flat for a long time and is just now starting to pick up.

Not sure what to tell you about the other items, I'm surely not the only one here who is aware of big labour agreements coming through that will be jacking up people's wages for years to come.

Wages are what actually feed into the core inflation metrics, housing, services, etc. The decline in headline inflation to date is all about energy, core inflation excluding food and energy has barely budged and are what some would argue will only be driven down by higher unemployment and moderating wage growth.

We're still in the early innings of this IMO
Context may help here: you both live in different countries, so labor / labour developments, as well as CPI and interest rates, may vary to a significant degree. No need to get into an argument :)

Yes Canada largely follows its 10-times bigger US neighbour economically, but this is a comparison between oranges and tangerines.

would make this much easier perhaps depending on losses..........
a funky pannini in the charger plate moves up......

Used to cook lunch every day that way when I was stomping jugs as a Doodlebugger. Wrap meat and veggies in foil, lay it on the intake manifold of a V8 before starting work and be living large by noon.

"12,000 watts of power and an efficiency of 93%."

I don't think this is for cars, 12KW isn't exactly fast charging.

"The solution enables the intermediate charging (“in-process charging”) of the lithium-ion batteries of automated guided vehicles (AGVs), industrial trucks and mobile robots."

I think this is for Optimus (human shape robots).

"IEC 62619:2022 specifies requirements and tests for the safe operation of secondary lithium cells and batteries used in industrial applications, including stationary applications"

Makes me think not only is it for the robots, but it's for factory use specifically.

Potentially interesting thought: S, X, and Cybertruck are all standard with air suspension. If the 3 Highland and a future version fo the Model Y get an air suspension added, that's a built-in height adjustment on all the cars, and perhaps a hint of inductive charging intentions.

From what others have posted, it sounds like an inductive charging system can be optimized to work across an air gap of at least 8 inches, which I think would cover the Cybertruck at its lowest setting (from the reveal, air suspension was at 12" ground clearance, and could move 4" up or down). All the other Tesla cars are already closer than that.

I still feel like there's limited advantages for wireless charging for typical car uses...but if it was fully automated (car parks itself in just the right spot, and lowers/raises as needed), it would cut out that 10 seconds it takes to plug in the car at home, and eliminates the need for human interaction in a robotaxi scenario.

*Edited for clarity.

A rugged air bladder and a small compressor to lift the charger could be designed in as another way to self-adjust for max efficiency.

Reactions: Skryll
Wow they are moving that big of a tree? I would love to see a time lapse video of that.

How far are they moving it to?

They've moved a couple already. Joe Tegtmeyer has some shots of the prep. They insert beams under the roots, then jack up the whole tree and roots, and put sausage shaped air bags underneath and roll the tree on the sausages to the new location.

Gives a whole new aspect to the term Sausage Roll. ;)

Just two clarify, all OEM's in India must use local suppliers to remain eligible for the benefits. Several, most famously Suzuki, operate with Indian manufacturers, in their case Maruti. That is quite analogous to companies like SAIC in China.

In short, they are NOT kit cars. Foreign OEM's generally have CKD-like operations for lower volume models, but still do a good deal of India sourcing. From ChevIran in the 1970's, Ford and GM around the world, CKD almost always had large local suppliers. FWIW, aerospace has done that for many years, as have many other industries.

IME, helping with those arrangements in more than a dozen countries, the negotiations regarding local content and local supply are arduous in every case. My first one was ChevIran, which was a locally built Opel Commodore, and had gradually increasing local content. Of course that ended abruptly in 1979.
Many such arrangements become both durable and profitable, with SAIC/GM as one stellar example and CAOA with Hyundai and Chery being another.

We'll soon have clues about Tesla, I predict it will resemble that formerly unique deals with China that have been so successful for everyone concerned. The Modi/Musk harmony is an indication that Mr. Musk learns from his own backdrop and always has very senior executives from the specific country as the heads. Luckily there are quite a few stellar choices for India.

I have thought India was improbable. Obviously I underestimated what we all knew about Chinese operations.

Next: Korea, building on Hyundai/Kia need for dependable high speed charging in their own country.
South Korea has had a long and moderately successful experience with GM (Daewoo) and Nissan (Samsung). Since Samsung cars were badge engineered Nissan anyway, perhaps it will be easier to cope with the issues with Tesla.

Kit Cars, no way! The reality is much more complex than that. I cannot wait!

Pretty sure you can't be a real person.

Pretty sure you can't be a real person.
My mother-in-law may be one of the few who do think I'm real. She still remembers that I stole her daughter for a genteel life in Rio to go with me to Yemen. She was not in Iran with me, that was a few years earlier. If you really want to know I'll send you my 'nephew certified' list of my countries of residence, extracted from the residence visas that were once ubiquitous.👴

No list of occupations is currently extant. Needless to say, I was no better at staying in an occupation that I was at staying in a country. However, I have lived in my current house and current residence for 19 years. The longest one before that was closer to 19 months.

Addendum: Perhaps my spouse thinks I'm real too, at least when she's feeling generous. 😇

If it's very clear than inflation is already down and will stay down, why hasn't the 2 year treasury yield moved lower? It's about like 4.5%?
Because the most likely outcome that is on the table is what happened late 80's that led to the period we're about to replicate, the 90's, and the market is correctly pricing in that ultra low interest rates are a thing of the past. There isn't going to be a 2008-2009 Financial crisis or Dot.com bubble (that happened already in 2021) that forced the Fed to lower rates to 0.

It's increasingly looking like we're following the late 80's inflation cycle that ended in 89, the US economy went into a brief minor recession from 90-91. From March 89 to March 92, the Fed fund rate went from 9.9% to 3.5%. However, the Fed fund rate only got as low as 3% and jumped back up to average 4-5% for the rest of the 90's.

All during the time, inflation was lower than the Fed Fund rate and US treasury yields.

Inflation for the 90's by year

90 - 5.4
91 - 4.2
92 - 3.0
93 - 3.0
94 - 2.6
95 - 2.8
96 - 3.0
97 - 2.3
98 - 1.6
99 - 2.2

So ALL throughout the 90's, the Fed Fund rate and US treasury rates were above the inflation rates and yet....the US economy did just fine. Wall St did just fine. In some of these years, the Fed Fund rate and US treasuries were DOUBLE that of inflation rates. There was a brief and minor recession that lasted only 8 months and GDP went down a total of 1.4% at the beginning of the 90's as the Fed's started lowering rates.

So the notion that US treasuries accurately predict or correlate to inflation is dubious at best.

If it's very clear than inflation is already down and will stay down, why hasn't the 2 year treasury yield moved lower? It's about like 4.5%?
The market is about predicting Fed's stupidity and when they will realize their mistakes. Samething happened when the market crashed and bond yield inverted before the Fed actually did anything. They were predicting how their stupidity would require them to raise rates more than needed for not stopping a runaway train.

So the market predicted that the rates would be higher than it should, and now will stay high longer than it should. Really has nothing to do with real inflation. 10 year barely moved as the market is predicting Fed's mistake by keeping rates longer than it should will tank the economy which forces them to reduce rates eventually, within the next 10 years.

He's practically blushing as he professes his love for Modi. Is this type of thing what politicians in India like?

I'm skeptical that Tesla can operate in India without all manner of objectionable hassles. Same with France and Macron. But regardless, this kind of ambassadorship is a low cost activity (other than Musk's time and attention) and has positive effects with regard to getting the most impact for Tesla's investment dollars.
Advertising, in the 21st century.

"12,000 watts of power and an efficiency of 93%."

I don't think this is for cars, 12KW isn't exactly fast charging.

"The solution enables the intermediate charging (“in-process charging”) of the lithium-ion batteries of automated guided vehicles (AGVs), industrial trucks and mobile robots."

I think this is for Optimus (human shape robots).

Well, 12 KW is fast for L2 charging, the equivalent of 50 Amps at 240 volts. Optimus has a 2KWh battery, no way it needs (or could handle) more than 6 KW, which would be 3C charge rate (that's FAST charging, hard on cells). Easy enough to slow down the charge rate for Optimus, but why not just plug itself in? It's mobile, and dexterous. Save the wireless charger for some ponderous robot. ;)

Well, 12 KW is fast for L2 charging, the equivalent of 50 Amps at 240 volts. Optimus has a 2KWh battery, no way it needs (or could handle) more than 6 KW, which would be 3C charge rate (that's FAST charging, hard on cells). Easy enough to slow down the charge rate for Optimus, but why not just plug itself in? It's mobile, and dexterous. Save the wireless charger for some ponderous robot. ;)

Perhaps Optimus could be charging itself wirelessly while working.

I've actually been wondering if the robots can gain weight if we feed them too much electrons