Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about having a robotaxi parking lot next to long term car parking. The airport can charge a small fee to allow the car to park (one or two hours at most and then a higher fee would be applied) and one of those parking lot shuttle buses would take you to the lot after your plane arrives. This way you wouldn't have hundreds of robotaxi's circling the airport clogging up traffic.
Maybe this is not needed once the taxi sections are removed. 🤷‍♂️

It just struck me that Elon has said multiple times that advanced AI development should be done at a public company and that shareholders can vote him out, and that option is an important one.

Per other reports, Elon is also looking to build a team that competes with openAI after being deeply unhappy about the pivot to closed source.

Also, some credible people on Twitter say GPT 4 is the limit of what can be trained with the current gen Nvidia hardware, and the new H100 systems to scale up will take 6 to 8 months. Will this be as good as a ground up system like dojo? It's all transformers anyways (ducks and covers)

Putting 2 and 2 and 2 together, unless the answer is 5, I am thinking Tesla might get into LLM development. Optimus could really use this. Though I am not sure it can easily compete with the vast amount of data open AI has access to, via GitHub.

It just struck me that Elon has said multiple times that advanced AI development should be done at a public company and that shareholders can vote him out, and that option is an important one.
How democratic 🙄

I'm sure ExxonMobil shareholders will vote the CEO out whenever they start getting scared of climate change. Or maybe not 😆

On that AGM announcement... Not knowing what it meant, I did a search and found this post from an activist group. They sound upset...

"Due to a discrete announcement on page 57 of its 60 page 10-Q filing in October, shareholders, including Tulipshare, were unable to file their proposals in time."

First, 🤣 to people that follow them re Tesla not caring for the environment. Faces without noses still out there?

Second, is this to trip them up only for eliminating stupid questions, or is something better coming with today's announcement?

How democratic 🙄

I'm sure ExxonMobil shareholders will vote the CEO out whenever they start getting scared of climate change. Or maybe not 😆
Ha, it doesn't matter what you or I think. He's on the record saying that. I am not being judgemental but just stating facts. If Elon thinks Tesla should do something, Tesla will likely do that.

To be fair to Elon's point of view though, some people bought a few Exxon shares, waged a proxy battle, and installed three people on the BoD, to really work on reducing their carbon footprint.

On that AGM announcement... Not knowing what it meant, I did a search and found this post from an activist group. They sound upset...

"Due to a discrete announcement on page 57 of its 60 page 10-Q filing in October, shareholders, including Tulipshare, were unable to file their proposals in time."

First, 🤣 to people that follow them re Tesla not caring for the environment. Faces without noses still out there?

Second, is this to trip them up only for eliminating stupid questions, or is something better coming with today's announcement?

From that website:

“Concerns are mounting about the health of the company, with news of Tesla’s share price taking further hits (along with Elon Musk’s personal fortune) despite plans for a $3.6million expansion to Nevada, and delays to Musk’s shareholder lawsuit, owing to ongoing negative press raising questions around jury bias”

Well, seems they missed Investors Day also.

Bummer.

Per other reports, Elon is also looking to build a team that competes with openAI after being deeply unhappy about the pivot to closed source.
How democratic 🙄
OT: In principle, this seems like a good idea; in practice, one particularly significant concern with such a philosophy is that the warfare (visible and hidden) applications of said "advanced AI development" increases, and a closed source becomes critical for national security reasons (at which point ITAR export controls also come into play, and open source cannot be export-controlled). As with most things, there is a balancing point to be found. Even Tesla leverages a mix of open source and closed source.

Reactions: generalenthu
Lol. Anybody thinks that we are close needs to go for a drive in an FSD car with the latest greatest software. 😂. Maybe a decade at best. It’s a great system and we enjoy using it every day. We probably do 95 percent of our driving with it. But it’s no where close to any kind of autonomous system. Kudos to the FSD team though. It is incrementally (tiny increments) better every time. It still fails pretty much every intersection it did a year ago and still can’t pick the correct lane if its life depended on it. But it’s worth the bucks just for the entertainment value. 😊👍.

Jmho.
I am hoping that it would improve autopilot and minimize phantom brakings. My wife is still afraid of driving it.
I have FSD, but have never used it!

Lol. Anybody thinks that we are close needs to go for a drive in an FSD car with the latest greatest software. 😂. Maybe a decade at best. It’s a great system and we enjoy using it every day. We probably do 95 percent of our driving with it. But it’s no where close to any kind of autonomous system. Kudos to the FSD team though. It is incrementally (tiny increments) better every time. It still fails pretty much every intersection it did a year ago and still can’t pick the correct lane if its life depended on it. But it’s worth the bucks just for the entertainment value. 😊👍.

Jmho.
have to disagree with this assessment of latest FSD release 100% .. just loaded new release last night and did my 45 minute to commute in NY/NJ traffic .. while I did have to disengage at times... since I did not feel comfortable as a driver with the the maneuvers FSD was doing(that is attributed to me not FSD)...

that does not mean FSD would have not executed them safely and eventually correctly.(I will never know because i disengaged).. my driving behaviors have been acquired over many years over the many of the same routes so there is extreme nuance in timing traffic lights, positioning at intersections, adjusting for others bad behavior, trying not to piss off fellow drivers ...avoiding potholes....etc.

i decided today i am going to try my typical drives at night and on new routes to see if there is a difference (less traffic) ... when a human drives in unfamiliar territory we are not as aggressive and don't understand the nuance to the new roads .. as they are not in our mind map .... if you are a passenger in a self driving system you really don't care about a lot of the reason we as beta drivers disengage the system....as passenger you want safety... and you dont care if the robotxi pisses off other drivers(sort of like riding as passenger in a bus)

IMHO

Edit : I drove one of my coworkers to lunch with FSD Beta engaged and he did not even notice it.... that is huge ... now for the wife test ...

Last edited:
For those who don't know - there is a guy who has been using FSDb for actual Uber rides for over a year. He has hundred or so videos with customer reactions etc. He seems to be a full time Uber driver ...

Like this one ...

Poor CYBRLFT is still not upgraded. His San Diego Gauntlet challenge has been crying out for the single stack !

So, in your assessment in how many years will your car be able to be used as a Robotaxi ?
i have no idea ... but i will be using FSD door to door now ... probably need to have a crossover point of human drivers vs robotaxis ... where all bad drivers are now just passengers in robotaxis ...the real problem is human drivers... not FSD ... i repeat i disengage because i don't want to wreck my car due to a perceived FSD mistake... i just dont want to take the chance to see if FSD will eventually correct the error i perceive

i have no idea ... but i will be using FSD door to door now ... probably need to have a crossover point of human drivers vs robotaxis ... where all bad drivers are now just passengers in robotaxis ...the real problem is human drivers... not FSD ... i repeat i disengage because i don't want to wreck my car due to a perceived FSD mistake... i just dont want to take the chance to see if FSD will eventually correct the error i perceive
You are not making much sense.

I use FSDb all the time too. Have been since it came out - infact used EAP extensively before that.

That doesn't mean "robotaxi" is close by. You disagreed with a comment it might take 10 years - but as you confess - you have no idea when (or if) it can be achieved.

My wife was driving our 2018 today and disengaged when she felt uncomfortable during a couple left turns with others turning beside her. But she said there wasn't anything wrong, then reported it to Tesla with this description. I think it's obvious this commenting will allow Tesla to separate legit disengagements from the uncomfortable or convenient ones such as pot holes. This should greatly reduce # of video to review, like a super filter, and speed up learning with more efficient use of compute time (in theory). If correct, it should improve at a faster rate now.