Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This joint announcement with California governor Newsom and Elon didn't have much direct information filling the ~10 min they were on stage talking, but it was clear signaling that Newsom and Musk are still on good terms, or at least they both want to project that image in public.

The governor was speaking very positively of Tesla and Elon, holding the company's leadership up as a monumental example of California's success in fostering manufacturing, innovation and EV technology. Gavin Newsom is also probably the most well-known and influential state governor in the Democratic Party nationwide, so this is pretty significant in my opinion. Elon and Tesla are being praised instead of shunned and ignored, with Newsom saying stuff like "It's a point of pride--always has been for me--that Tesla is a California company. It started here first." and bringing up that he's known Elon for two decades and was one of the first Roadster customers in the early years.

Note that Newsom's most well-known and influential Republican counterpart is governor Greg Abbott of Texas, who has also recently had similar kind words for Tesla and Elon, except more oriented towards hyping up Texas of course. For example:

In the last three years there has been an apparently rocky relationship between government in CA and Tesla, and this is a positive sign in my opinion. Tesla does not always have political leaders on stage with Elon at reveal events, like the Cyber Rodeo for example.

When Tesla relocated the global headquarters to Austin, Elon insisted that Tesla would still continue to expand and hire in CA. Today we got more concrete information on what some of that expansion will look like, so it's not just empty promises. I think this event today should help assuage concerns that Elon has managed to alienate Tesla and the D Party politicians and that this would materially harm the business in terms of governmental resistance. Based on the actions of both Abbott and Newsom it would appear that both sides are being played well enough. By the way, 21% of the US population lives in either CA or TX, so these two governors are politically representing more than 1 out of 5 Americans.

This announcement also indicates that Tesla will not be reliant on recruiting top AI and software talent to leave Silicon Valley for Austin, which there has been some concern about. Tesla is developing teams in Palo Alto and Austin.
Now, if Elon could get cozy with the governors of New York and Florida, we’d have 1 out of 3 (according to ChatGPT).

We've all heard it: "Tesla's product is the factory." I'll bet this most significant announcement in years is 4 new Gigafactories: (in alphabetical order)
  • Indonesia
  • Mexico
  • Montreal
  • S. Korea
Cheers to the Longs! :D
I'm leaning towards this interpretation of big announcement as well.

Things we know about investor day:
- Elon said it's about Master Plan part three, which we all know is about scaling massively to get us to a sustainable energy future.
- "it's all about tonnage"
- tonnage = lots of battery production required = lots of factories required.
- Elon said the day is also for investors in the future of humanity -> sustainable energy future -> Master Plan part three

It all adds up.

The locations to be announced will most likely involve batteries (raw materials and/or cell production and/or battery storage products/packs) than car manufacturing plants. Besides the next gen Tesla that would have to be produced in large numbers I don't see why a car-Gigafactory is required in Indonesia/Mexico/Montreal at the moment.

Wonder what the big reveal will be? Smaller car or minivan seems like it deserves its own event. Optimus going into production? New factory location? HVAC? Next CEO?
To make a good guess at the "big reveal", I think we need to get in Elon's mind. Is the Next Gen vehicle big to Elon? I don't think so. I think Tesla and Elon have so thoroughly planned out the next generation that in Elon's mind it's as good as already happened. He's looking way further out. I'm no Elon so my speculation is probably worthless but my guess is a plan to deploy mass battery storage. Like the charging network for EVs, this is a necessary infrastructure that needs to be in place to convert to near 100% renewable energy.

(So yes, I think we will be having a buying opportunity in a few days ;) )

No, Elon took it personally because he think today's OpenAI betrayed its original founding principles. Elon founded OpenAI as a transparent non-profit to act as counterweight to AI research controlled by big companies, today's OpenAI has violated every principle of its origin. He is also worried about AI as a potential existential threat to humanity, and OpenAI seems to be more interested in keeping AI politically correct instead of focusing on preventing it from killing everybody.
Elon has shown concern on Twitter regarding some of OpenGPTs capabilities (e.g,, writing and debugging it’s own Python code to answer questions, an apparent political bias, and the capability to circumvent externally imposed limitations). I’ll bet the work at Palo Alto is going to be heavy and rapid AI development to address some of these perceived issues.

I wonder if this announcement of a new Silicon Valley engineering HQ is partly a response to all the layoffs in the tech industry in the last few quarters. It’s a buyers market these days for engineers in the Bay Area. Maybe Tesla is looking at this as an opportunity to recruit and stack the team deeper.
Confirming intention to continue to employ so many CA residents and committing to grow further may also be throwing the state of CA a political bone. Gives the politicians something to think about when deciding if they want to go on the attack.

I don't see why a car-Gigafactory is required in Indonesia/Mexico/Montreal at the moment.

Yup, lot's of Indonesian breadcrumbs out there, if you like Panko ;)

When asked about the prospect of Tesla setting up a production facility in the country, Coordinating Minister for Maritime and Investment Affairs Luhut Pandjaitan said he would meet Tesla officials this month, but the agreement with the EV maker prevents him from revealing the content of their discussions.
"We are still in constant negotiation with Tesla... but they have started buying two excellent products from Indonesia."

The president said he was "confident" Indonesia had the edge over other countries Tesla might be considering for investment because it has the largest nickel reserves and a big domestic market.
Jokowi said it was up to Tesla to take up the offer to mine nickel, underlining that Indonesia is open to investment in the EV battery and electric car supply chain.
"If they want to start from EV battery, it's OK," he added.

Max pain (at 195) in play maybe. Good luck getting that to stick.

1677167759373.png

• Funny
Reactions: replicant
First Cybertruck delivery?

I don't think it is cybertruck. in elon's tweet he said:

"EV-1 -> Tzero -> Roadster -> S3XY -> Semi -> Cybertruck …"

So I'm guessing it's not Cybertruck that comes after the "..." Also, he also mentioned on the latest earnings call that meaningful production of cybertruck happens later, so I don't see how delivery of a few early cybertrucks would be that significant to Elon.

Also, I've found Teslascope to be pretty reliable and measured in their public tweets. They are not hyperbolic and careful not to get their sources in trouble for revealing information.

Teslascope's latest tweet is intriguing to me. I've been racking my brains trying to guess what it means, but I don't know. My guess is that it has something to do with the tweet where he said:

"By this, we mean the broadest definition of investor, as in the people & life of Earth. It will be a message of good hope & positivity for the future."

So perhaps announcements of gigafactories, energy storage, a new mass market low cost vehicle, or some change in ownership/leadership of Tesla. The latter I don't think happens because I don't think Elon wants to give up control of anything.

Wonder what the big reveal will be? Smaller car or minivan seems like it deserves its own event. Optimus going into production? New factory location? HVAC? Next CEO?
Read this thread too. Does Teslascope have a good track record?

There has been a lot of buzz around the M1 meeting, are we sure this isn’t just conjecture masking as insider knowledge?

I’ve seen a lot of posts based on pure hopium lately

This experience why Tesla has a large presence in CA
I live in CA and pay taxes and am concerned with some special interests trying to slow Tesla down. But it balances out in the long run. A better future is ahead and the truth always comes out.
I have to add that I like lower stock prices since I am an investor and like the HODL philosophy.
Life is good 😊

There has been a lot of buzz around the M1 meeting, are we sure this isn’t just conjecture masking as insider knowledge?

The circular firing squad of TSLA bulls is making sure they will be disappointed by the end of it. Stock fall March 2nd guaranteed IMO

This Teslascope account seems to be getting a lot of attention out of nowhere based on the previous posts on the account, but I think they're communicating what they were told by employees at the recent event

Of course what is said by employees might be interpreted inaccurately, plans change, they might not know what the executive team is planning but hasn't yet communicated, etc

The circular firing squad of TSLA bulls is making sure they will be disappointed by the end of it. Stock fall March 2nd guaranteed IMO
I’m as bullish as the next guy, but there are dozens of rumors floating around regarding this event and this meeting sort-of feels like it’ll be significant. Lots of things popping up already in winter 2023 and now we have a special investor meeting. It’s just weird. Why would they announce a big factory expansion and new HQ right before this shareholders event for example, why not save it up to make an even bigger event.

All of this is just pointing out that most of what TeslaScope pointed out is either known or seems like obvious fill-in-the-dots sort of stuff. “Tesla is going to have a huge announcement” is like a fortune cookie prediction. Seems pretty clear Tesla has something they think is significant they want to share or they wouldn’t be doing this meeting.

Related: WholeMarsBlog said Investor Day will include the full Cybertruck details. At least Omar’s prediction is specific.

I enjoy reading people’s predictions, just get frustrated when they are dressed as insider knowledge.

Ya, this might be it. The 2 door hatchback. Can't wait. (Edit: It would be way "bigger" news than more factories IMHO.)