Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol, Tesla activated heated rear seats for Model 3 SR+ owners via an OTA update 33 mths ago:

Cheers!
i know .. still haven't bought them .. and they are taunting me every time i go into the appropriate section in the app .. :D

i know .. still haven't bought them .. and they are taunting me every time i go into the appropriate section in the app .. :D
In the past winter perhaps only twice people sat on the back seats in my M3 SR+. Not worth the CAN$400

I got into the habit of pre-heating my car so never thought about the steering wheel is unheated.

60576C1D-7676-46EA-BCDA-BFB377B7DD2D.jpeg

After-hours weekend share:
After reading countless articles poking fun a California for banishing ICE in 2035 while struggling to have adequate power to handle this year's heatwave (a fair criticism IMO), I dug into the renewable/solar farms feeding the CA grid.
I had multiple co-workers poking fun about how I'd charge my car using dumb, debunked talking points.

99% of the time you charge your car over night, when it's way cheaper, dummy! Or you charge from 8am - 12pm when there's plenty of solar on the grid before the AC load really kicks on! It's super easy to schedule your charging around peak hours if you want!

Never mind that the reason that this heat wave is so bad is because of all those fossil fuel emissions contributing to global warming and everyone needing AC now to stay comfortable when it wasn't needed before.

I didn't bother taking it up with them - it's not worth arguing and meanwhile, I laugh every time I look at the balance in my brokerage account.

I remember during my last drive to Lake Tahoe seeing a VERY large solar farm near Mojave and I've seen others close to the Nevada border and was curious how much energy those large farms provide to the overall CA needs....Well, I was disappointed to calculate that the large Mojave farm I identified as the "Desert Sunlight Solar Farm" while providing a massive 1,324 GWh/year, was only 0.5% of what I eye-balled CA requires (per CALISO- incidentally a very data rich, real-time site) of around ~260TWh/year. So what I'd consider a massive solar-farm (6 sq. mi/3,900 acres) doesn't even produce 1% of CA's needed power! Anyhoo...then I read about the new BESS (battery energy storage system) that was just installed at the Desert Sunlight location which was 920 MWh and discovered that it is the 2nd largest in the world. Then I found that CA has a whopping 12 of the world's top 27 largest BESS which amount to 62% of the energy of the world's top 27 largest BESS.
Desert Sunlight would actually generate a lot more power or use less space if it was built today (it was built from 2011-2015) with modern polysilicon panels like the ones that Tesla sources. The First Solar CdTe panels were only 11-13% efficient at the time - modern panels are commonly 19-22% efficient or 70-100% more power per sq/meter compare to the panels installed there!

In summary, for a state that is struggling to keep the lights on during a massive heat wave, that currently has 62% of the world's largest BESS deployed already operational in their grid....well Tesla seems to have an ENORMOUS amount of BESS to supply this world...Let's ride!
IMO California did very well keeping the lights on - there's been a lot of work to get 3.5 GW+ (most of it is 4h duration, so around 14 GWh) of BESS online in the last few years and the grid will see a huge transformation over the next few years when that doubles again.

The vast majority of solar in the CAISO queue includes batteries and there are more standalone battery projects in the queue than standalone PV projects.

At the beginning of the year there was 4.7 GW of PV+battery projects and 1 GW of battery projects in the queue for 2022 and for 2023, 9.7 GW of PV+battery project and 2.3 GW of battery projects.

The long term goals are 37 GW of batteries over the next 20 years - California alone will keep Tesla's BESS backlog filled for decades... Keep on laughing, fellas, because it's going to be me laughing in the long run.

Hmmmm.....Lets see how this works out :)

View attachment 850711

Sure, they'll help lower delivery costs by $2K....they can more than recoup that with dealer markup....

Also, sounds like FORD doesn't see automotive margins increasing any time soon...
"I see dealer margins still being very competitive, but they are going to shift," Farley said in July. Ford intends to put more emphasis on selling products and services after the initial vehicle sale, he said."

I'm going to love hearing all the legal "experts" think that this doesn't matter and that Elon is still on the hook because "due diligence" lol

.......I don't see how Twitter gets out of this one. That's day and night to me.
I don't know, that one seems really questionable to me. They are allowed to make the payment "in the normal course of business" as long as they get a "non-revocable release of claim in favor of the Company". Maybe they normally pay off departing employees and have them sign a release. 🤷‍♀️

Or did they not get a release of claim from Mr. Zatko?

• Informative
Reactions: Mike Ambler
IF you enter a limit sell order for $300, I predict it will execute today before the close; That does not mean the TSLA will close above or at $300. When the price is this close, the MM's have some incentive to shake loose Put holders by threatening them to be worthless, while giving hope to call holders to not take the remaining time premium. So if you want to collect $300, you probably can. But why would you want to?

Ooh, so CLOSE! :D

Missed it by that much.jpg

Chairs!

I don't know, that one seems really questionable to me. They are allowed to make the payment "in the normal course of business" as long as they get a "non-revocable release of claim in favor of the Company". Maybe they normally pay off departing employees and have them sign a release. 🤷‍♀️

Or did they not get a release of claim from Mr. Zatko?
Having a settlement payment for your chief of security who was claiming you were withholding millions dollars of pay owed to them............it not normal course of business. Nor is it a "ordinary severance payment"

Ordinary severance payments almost always strictly means severance due to layoffs.

Last edited:
I'm going to love hearing all the legal "experts" think that this doesn't matter and that Elon is still on the hook because "due diligence" lol

.......I don't see how Twitter gets out of this one. That's day and night to me.
I am going to say something I don't believe I could actually say in public.

"I'd like to hear it from a lawyer."

Yet another FUD article from WSJ - no one wants an EV. I got this from a friend of mine posted in a friends chat group.

Can someone please point me to the Tesla sales numbers in US/CA and Europe and China? I want to squash this myth

Exhibit R: Letter from the Reporting Person to the Issuer, dated September 9, 2022.

On June 28, 2022, Twitter entered into a separation agreement with Peiter Zatko under which Twitter made severance payments to Zatko and his counsel totaling $7.75 million. Twitter did not seek Defendants’ consent under Section 6.1(e) before making this payment nor was this payment disclosed to Defendants. In fact, Defendants only learned of this payment when Twitter filed the separation agreement with the court on September 3, 2022. This severance payment violated Section 6.1(e) and cannot be cured. Defendants are thus not required to close under Section 7.2(a) and have an additional basis to terminate the Merger Agreement

Ironically, I bought heated seats (for $400 CAD) on June 30, 2020 (wanted to add to Q2 margins) even though I did not own a Tesla at the time (I was still waiting for my Model Y). So I sent $400 by wire transfer to my friend with a Sep 2019 Model 3 SR+ and told him to fire up his App... ;)

Chairs!

Last edited:
Wow I hope Elon gets out of this and just Apes back into TSLA full boar.
Again, don't get your hopes up too high! Elon has pending an approx $40B income tax due on the 2018 CEO comp. plan shares that have now vested, but he has not yet executed. Elon likely has only ~$7B in cash, so he'll still need to sell shares when he executes those options, just not as many... @mongo estimates Elon is better off financially to wait until the end of the allowable period before executing (Q2 2028?)

Than TSLA breaks its chain, and goes on an epic run north
That's gonna happen on Tesla fundamentals, no matter watt... ;)

Chairs!

After-hours weekend share:
After reading countless articles poking fun a California for banishing ICE in 2035 while struggling to have adequate power to handle this year's heatwave (a fair criticism IMO), I dug into the renewable/solar farms feeding the CA grid. I remember during my last drive to Lake Tahoe seeing a VERY large solar farm near Mojave and I've seen others close to the Nevada border and was curious how much energy those large farms provide to the overall CA needs....Well, I was disappointed to calculate that the large Mojave farm I identified as the "Desert Sunlight Solar Farm" while providing a massive 1,324 GWh/year, was only 0.5% of what I eye-balled CA requires (per CALISO- incidentally a very data rich, real-time site) of around ~260TWh/year. So what I'd consider a massive solar-farm (6 sq. mi/3,900 acres) doesn't even produce 1% of CA's needed power! Anyhoo...then I read about the new BESS (battery energy storage system) that was just installed at the Desert Sunlight location which was 920 MWh and discovered that it is the 2nd largest in the world. Then I found that CA has a whopping 12 of the world's top 27 largest BESS which amount to 62% of the energy of the world's top 27 largest BESS.
LOCATIONCountMWh% of top 27
CA12694162%
FL19008%
TX36606%
HI11561%
CHINA3796.87%
AU26436%
JAPAN25455%
UK12662%
SK22903%
TOTAL top 272711,197.80Energy (MWh)

In summary, for a state that is struggling to keep the lights on during a massive heat wave, that currently has 62% of the world's largest BESS deployed already operational in their grid....well Tesla seems to have an ENORMOUS amount of BESS to supply this world...Let's ride!

Interesting.

From your numbers: 6 sq. mi for 0.5% of CA electricity need
CA has 11.93% US population (US populations by state)

6 sq. mi/11.93%/0.5% = 10,059 sq. mi, so Mr. Musk's 100 by 100 mile patch is 0.59% from this back-of-the-envelope calculation.

Note that 6 sq. mi generating 1,324GWh/year are real numbers.

1662770448295.jpeg

Each of my original shares (DCA < $20) is now worth > $16,200 :D
A $20 share from presplits is $1.33 post splits then the current price of $300 divided by 1.33 is about 225x increase. His math comes to a 810x increase.

I'm not sure where he is getting the rest. I think he got the math wrong but lets let someone double check the math and see if we get two answers that agree.

Reactions: saniflash
A $20 share from presplits is $1.33 post splits then the current price of $300 divided by 1.33 is about 225x increase. His math comes to a 810x increase.

I'm not sure where he is getting the rest. I think he got the math wrong but lets let someone double check the math and see if we get two answers that agree.
Even if some one bought a share for a penny, it’s max value is 300x5x3=4500 cheers;)