Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speaking of not doing status symbols, I just happened to notice this development in my gambols about the ‘net which I don’t recall seeing mentioned here:

"Michael Jost, head of group strategy product and CSO of the Volkswagen brand, says the current plan is to install up to six batteries per yacht and to enable 500 kW power for yachts around 50 feet plus. That will enable the vessel to cruise all night non-stop and also power the onboard amenities."

"The jointly declared goal of the three companies is to put the first solar-electric catamaran with MEB propulsion on the water in 2022. After four years, the plan is to produce at least 50 of the MEB-based Silent Yacht 50 per year, and more if required."

It is curious that VW is looking for more volume for their capacity for their EV platform.

Yeah this is crazy. They don't have enough batteries to scale up their car business, so they are going to divert a significant amount of capacity to yachts???

It's a little more nuanced than that. I think Ihor's sample set includes mostly retail brokers and other subscribers, but specifically excludes abusive naked short sellers (they won't pay for Ihor's data). Those are the large hedge funds with Options Maker Maker priviledges.

So Ihor's data is skewed, but USEFUL! It shows clearly the divergence in the short interest between these two classes of market participants. Subtract Ihor's data from the NASDAQ short interest data and you are left with the Options Market Makers.

Something the SEC should be looking into, if they didn't have their cushy future retirement jobs at steak. Screw the oath, and the public (what they don't know, they can't blame on us).

I blame them. ;)

Cheers!
But the discrepancy for that period Dec-15-2020 - Dec-31-2020 is huge. Are you saying, all those shorts in that difference were by MMs?

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I've only seen one issue with Model Y that makes it a worse choice than Model 3 (excluding the obvious price difference).

Ear pain/Pressure help Apparently something in the rear half of the design creates a noise that is somewhere between annoying and painful depending on the adjustments of the parts around the hatch and the sensitivity of the driver/passenger that experiences it.
I'm on the spectrum. My daughter is on the spectrum. I have pretty bad sensory reactions to certain regular sounds and unusually bad reactions to uncommon sounds. Neither my daughter nor I have issues in our Y. WTF is this BS about.

I thank you for your sample size of one. :rolleyes:
I've had at least 10 people in my model y (that I can recall at this time), aged 15 to 67. No one has mentioned a sound. I'm almost to 10,000 miles and I find the new motor louder than my old model s but I don't hear some other noise.

This may be FUD you're reading.

More importantly the moment we’ve all been waiting for…

p.s. Why does Miley sound like a 62yo smoker?

p.p.s. Please be funnier than this implies. lol

SNL hasn't been funny for decades, so that's not a really high bar to clear but everything on MSM is heavily sanitized and scrubbed these days. I'm not expecting much of anything. Dogecoin already started dropping when this was released, ahaha.

Ah, so internal memos at Tesla are lying to the employees who are building the cars..lol. Hopefully they wouldn't notice their assembly line is shut down.
How likely is an internal memo? Should we trust Electrek when there's no source for this information other than Electrek?
I agree with the later part, "they wouldn't notice their assembly line is shut down". I don't think production is stopped on any line, otherwise would've been part of the daily FUD we are seeing recently.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Short interest by @ihor3 seems to be of very low quality

Look at the huge discrepancy in the number of shares shorted for March through April shown in https://twitter.com/ihors3/status/1384564135518683138?s=20… and https://twitter.com/ihors3/status/1387426431974641666?s=20…

And, look at this Dec-15-2020 - Dec-31-2020, SI went up by 50% going by Nasdaq and other sources too. But ihor has been sharing very inaccurate data.
If his data was reasonably accurate in that Jan-04 tweet, one would've learnt that the S&P inclusion peak was yet to be reached with so many shorts needing to cover.
I wonder if he's sharing bogus data fooling everyone.

@Artful Dodger You share the view that @ihor's data is inaccurate, right?

I can't believe people are still wondering about this. You get what you pay for, most people don't work for free. Ihor's customers are short-sellers.

That might be an over-simplification but it doesn't take a financial genius to understand why you might not want place trust here.

Remember, profit is made by the disparity between popular perception and reality.

Just flagging another $500 price increase across the board for Model 3/Y.

Fourth price increase this year.
Honestly this kind of action is what I have expected to see for a truly supply constrained company - prices need to go up to control the backlog of orders.

All these extra price increases will drop straight to the bottom line and could and a few % to the automotive margins. If we see automotive gross margins approaching 30% in the next quarter I doubt the stock price will stay where it is.

But the discrepancy for that period Dec-15-2020 - Dec-31-2020 is huge. Are you saying, all those shorts in that difference were by MMs?
Yes. And further, I'm also saying that forced covering of naked shorts sold by options market makers caused TSLA to run up to $880 in early Jan 2021.

It's a glimpse into the underlying value of TSLA shares, if not for rampant counterfeiting of shares by legalized naked shorting (via the "Madoff Exemption" to Regulation SHO which otherwise prohibits naked short selling).

Rotten to the core, as the $GME episode proved back in Jan when over 140% of the company's shares were sold short. Only barring the buying of shares by retail (while allowing hedge funds to buy) broke up the short squeeze. At least one large hedge fund lost $2B and would have gone bankrupt except that they were rescued by an even larger hedge fund (an options market maker btw).

Sound like the SEC should investigate? Maybe sue somebody? Nawh, it's fine, move along... :p

Last edited:
View attachment 660125
Pulled the trigger again to replace my Model 3 with a Model Y, can’t let my wife drive the White Model Y and suffer from endless jealousy. YOLO.

the tesla rep told me they expect to receive them not until October, he said they don’t know what is going on, they have never seen so many orders, ever. The last month was crazier than ever for the number of reservations.

The SP is surely not following the same trend as reservations.
Anecdotal, but I see a lot of screenshots like this popping up the last days, I think a lot of FOMO going on

In fact I might have to tread the same path to ensure I can get a new MX before 2023...

OT:
Doug DeMuro reviewed the original Tesla roadster again.
It’s amazing to see how this car feels like was hacked together and after 10 years the same company could do a Model 3.
Doug wondered why it’s not worth more than its originally sold for already, and pretty sure it eventually will.

I remember back in 2018 we were talking about whether TSLA or the original roadster would appreciate faster.
Turns out TSLA did much better, and I suspect it would hold true for next ten years.
Probably that’s why these were not all scooped up by you guys who have amazing couches.

Me want, if only it has FSD...

Honestly this kind of action is what I have expected to see for a truly supply constrained company - prices need to go up to control the backlog of orders.

All these extra price increases will drop straight to the bottom line and could and a few % to the automotive margins. If we see automotive gross margins approaching 30% in the next quarter I doubt the stock price will stay where it is.
Just a bit of information:

I conferred with our purchasing department last week. We are a mid size diaphragm pump manufacturer. There is a real shortage of commodity and specialized qualities of plastic granulate for injection molding due to covid production problems and indurstry upturn. Our suppliers have difficulties to get the plastic granulate and have to increase the price and lengthen the delivery times noticeably.

This in in a global supply market. It's not only the chip shortage. Prices in all raw goods are increasing.

Therefore the price adjustments of $500 may not improve the bottom line.