Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I rolled them anyway so I can just stop worrying about it, IMO got positive adaptations:

1x 16/10 c1380 -> 20/11 c1500
4x 16/10 c1820 -> 16/10 c1800

Lycan, you causing me to worry as well. Hmm, does any boys and girls here know how does the liquidity going to get affected with European options?? Its annoying but european options aint a perfect market. You cannot sell options. Only buy from monopolized banks with all the controls. Its a long story why I had to play with european options to begin with.

They could just round the strikes, and give back the balance as credit/debit to your account. I don't think they can handle all the fractions that will occur.
There won't be any fractions, just not particularly round numbers. The worst case would be whole dollar strikes. (Fun fact: there are 12 open calls for Jan 2021 (these would have been LEAPS) with $5 strike price! These will become 5x calls with $1 strike.) There are no currently open options with strikes that are not a multiple of $5.

And I don't think there's any good way to handle the tax implications of giving back some calculated value of options that might or might not be worth something at some other time in the future.

it is?

i'm really sick and tired of every random stock movement being blamed on evil geniuses with infinite funds and an axe to grind. i think reality is much dumber and less well organized than that.

I think the reality is in between. There are smart people at companies with large sums of money running formulas that help them generate profits. It's not that they want to take TSLA down, it's just that they want to make money. Sometimes that will mean taking TSLA up.

I do agree that it's wrong to ascribe every big downward movement as big money not wanting Tesla to succeed, while every big upward movement is ascribed to people "getting" Tesla's value. The truth as I see it is simply what trades will make them money? They get to see the Puts and Calls, and the Market Market makers get to see the limit orders, so they know they can take the stock price up or town to trigger stop loss orders or to make their option trades profitable. It has nothing to do with how they view the company, to them TSLA is simple "a name" and it's one big continuous auction where the gavel is falling over and over again in rapid succession.

Investors have the option on choosing to treat investment transactions as
Last IN/First out or First in/first out. Sadly one cannot change back and forth within a single tax year, but choosing one or the other can dramatically reduce or increase tax bills by changing from sort term to long term, It only matters if you have regular purchases, or uneven ones, which can make short term gains higher or lower. I tend to use LIFO because I have TSLA holdings from early years and larger purchases during the last year some of which still yielded Short term gains.

If you have many shares you might want to consult with your tax attorney or CPA. Mine is worth at least five times what I pay him, but I'll never tell him that.

FWIW some brokers let you sell by specific tax lot each time you do so, so you can just say "I'm selling these specific shares" when you put the order in regardless of if they're first, last, or somewhere in the middle.

Investors have the option on choosing to treat investment transactions as
Last IN/First out or First in/first out. Sadly one cannot change back and forth within a single tax year, but choosing one or the other can dramatically reduce or increase tax bills by changing from sort term to long term, It only matters if you have regular purchases, or uneven ones, which can make short term gains higher or lower. I tend to use LIFO because I have TSLA holdings from early years and larger purchases during the last year some of which still yielded Short term gains.

If you have many shares you might want to consult with your tax attorney or CPA. Mine is worth at least five times what I pay him, but I'll never tell him that.
For my ETrade account, for every trade, you have the opportunity to use the "tax lot selector" to specify exactly which shares you are selling. They apply your default selection if you don't do this, and the default default is LIFO.

FWIW some brokers let you sell by specific tax lot each time you do so, so you can just say "I'm selling these specific shares" when you put the order in regardless of if they're first, last, or somewhere in the middle.

For my ETrade account, for every trade, you have the opportunity to use the "tax lot selector" to specify exactly which shares you are selling. They apply your default selection if you don't do this, and the default default is LIFO.

Thanks to you both for this important clarification. I have never needed that feature, so had forgotten about it. I keep thinking about Corporate GAAP rules which tend towards consistency in treatment choices, other things remaining equal, that is, which they sometimes are not.

Don't try to make it in to a big deal, it is just a normal part of the split process.

It takes time for Tesla to issue new shares to the brokerages, the brokerages to receive them and update all of the accounts they own, etc. It is standard practice, and AAPL goes through the same thing of no trading during the split process.

That's all true, but it highlights the mechanics involved - that a split is not a simple decimal point adjustment as some were trying to say relative to the impact the accounting of the shares might have on naked short positions - it's a process and the i's must be correctly dotted and the t's must be crossed. Accounting reports (of the outstanding shares and the newly delivered shares) must be completed and signed off on.

Reactions: Lessmog
I have eaten my Gf's ears about tesla like a ravaged dog as well. Imagine a pit bull tearing off the ears off a crying cute girl. Thats pretty much the situation
Everybody in my life is so sick of hearing about TSLA. That’s why I spend so much time here! Love to see the beast eating like this! Congratulations longs

Lycan, you causing me to worry as well. Hmm, does any boys and girls here know how does the liquidity going to get affected with European options?? Its annoying but european options aint a perfect market. You cannot sell options. Only buy from monopolized banks with all the controls. Its a long story why I had to play with european options to begin with.

Depends on your broker, I buy and sell options from here in Belgium, same as the US, with my Belgian bank.