Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last thing I will opine on this is just to say that I was telling a friend Sunday that Tesla needs to start racing their cars in some capacity. The one thing anyone that races will tell you is that racers are EXTREMELY competitive. They will use all the ingenuity they find to get an advantage. No one will find more advances in battery technology than engineers working on electric race cars. Ironically, today, Lucid announces 517 miles of range - giving credit to the battery technology they developed where?......at the race track providing batteries for Formula E.
That also assumes they can build them at scale, and for a profit.

Not only that. Why does anyone think that a $150000 car will have any impact on Tesla or TSLA. This is laughable.
Media seems focused on saying it's a 60k vehicle.

That also assumes they can build them at scale, and for a profit.

Media seems focused on saying it's a 60k vehicle.

That I'm not worried about. The Taycan was a great example of the media building up the hype on it using specs out of context with the base prices they were also listing. But when the Taycan finally got close to coming out where Porsche HAD to be very transparent about price/specs and people saw how ridiculous the price was, especially in relation to the specs you got, that hype train ran into a brick wall. Same thing is gonna happen to Lucid here

The Lucid Air will be about 150k so only a very small group of consumers will be able to enjoy the range(if it actually get's that range). So it doesn't negate anything. It'll be many, many years before they get that car down to a price point at that range where it'll actually make any difference, if ever

Doesn't matter anyways because Tesla will be the first one to 500 miles range, both with the Model S and the new Roadster. I see the Roadster easily being in production before this thing as actually ships.

Gets some buzz but then SpaceX roadster will be the car of the year in 2021. If not for any reason just for the shear insanity. This is why the unlimited demand for Tesla because no other car company cross pollinate with the most rocket company in the world. They already use materials from space x that is unknown to spectrometers. Literally buying alien technology. The engineered mind Chinese can't get enough of it.

Gets some buzz but then SpaceX roadster will be the car of the year in 2021. If not for any reason just for the shear insanity. This is why the unlimited demand for Tesla because no other car company cross pollinate with the most rocket company in the world.

Lucid might not even get that much time. They're showing off this thing like a week or two before Battery Day.....where a lot of us assume the new Model S is going to be announced/shown. If I were Lucid I'd either move that up or push it to after Sept 22nd to see how screwed I am.

It is time for a quick update from the US's renewable energy capital, Texas.

"The ERCOT grid operator that serves most of Texas has completed full interconnection studies for 58 solar projects totaling 11.9 GW of capacity so far this year. The completed studies will allow project developers to proceed toward commercial operation.

In the first seven months of this year, ERCOT has already completed nearly twice as many solar interconnection studies, for nearly twice as much solar capacity, as it did in all of 2019.

These data reflect an analysis of ERCOT’s Generator Interconnection Status reports for December 2019 and July 2020.

ERCOT’s solar workload remains high because so far this year, solar developers have requested full studies for 49 projects totaling 13.3 GW. At last count, ERCOT had about 2.7 GW of utility-scale solar capacity."
Texas approves 12 GW of solar projects in seven months

In the first 7 months of 2020, ERCOT has completed interconnection agreements for 11.9 GW of solar, roughly 4x the amount of solar currently operating in the state. New projects from 2020 alone total 13.3GW.

To put that in context, the entire USA added 13.3GW of solar in 2019. (The EU added 16GW.)
Solar power by country - Wikipedia

This is a big deal, I really can't emphasize that enough. Even people who have been watching renewables for a long time don't seem to fully appreciate what we are seeing now, a large scale market driven tipping point.

Bringing this back to Tesla... solar isn't the only tipping point we are reaching, from the same article above:

"ERCOT’s battery queue has grown to about 9 GW. Developers of 32 battery projects totaling 4.9 GW have requested full studies this year, while ERCOT has completed only nine such studies this year for projects totaling 0.7 GW. In 2019 ERCOT approved only two battery projects for 0.25 GW, while it received 43 requests for full studies, representing 4.1 GW."

That needs to be a headline in its own right. 32 battery projects totaling 4.9 GW in the first 7 months 2020 alone.

I wish they had more detail on the specific specs of the batteries, total capacity as well as output, etc. Assuming the authors of the article didn't just use the wrong units (4.9 GW rather than 4.9GWh) then the total backlog of projects ("9 GW") could represent roughly 36 GWh of battery capacity. (assuming the roughly 4x ratio I have seen in most grid scale battery projects.)

Last edited:
Lucid might not even get that much time. They're showing off this thing like a week or two before Battery Day.....where a lot of us assume the new Model S is going to be announced/shown. If I were Lucid I'd either move that up or push it to after Sept 22nd to see how screwed I am.
Well production copies will be all over the net in 2021 assuming it comes out. That's the buzz like polarstar is getting right now.

2nd place EV in China sales:

upload_2020-8-11_10-7-16.png

The Lucid Air will be about 150k so only a very small group of consumers will be able to enjoy the range(if it actually get's that range). So it doesn't negate anything. It'll be many, many years before they get that car down to a price point at that range where it'll actually make any difference, if ever

Doesn't matter anyways because Tesla will be the first one to 500 miles range, both with the Model S and the new Roadster. I see the Roadster easily being in production before this thing as actually ships.

The tri-motor Cybertruck is also claiming 500+ mile range.

Well production copies will be all over the net in 2021 assuming it comes out. That's the buzz like polarstar is getting right now.

I was talking more of if Tesla announces a updated Model S with 500 mile range that's only 100k that's in production as of Sept 22nd........all the air will be sucked out of Lucid's sails. Lucid's taking a huge risk showing off anything before Sept 22nd.

If they wait until after Sept 22nd, they could at least lie and say they'll get......wait for it........600 miles of range! Gotta keep the charade up as long as possible to get that funding money

I was talking more of if Tesla announces a updated Model S with 500 mile range that's only 100k that's in production as of Sept 22nd........all the air will be sucked out of Lucid's sails. Lucid's taking a huge risk showing off anything before Sept 22nd.

If they wait until after Sept 22nd, they could at least lie and say they'll get......wait for it........600 miles of range! Gotta keep the charade up as long as possible to get that funding money
600 miles range with a 200kwh battery pack.