Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe that will be Elon's next endeavor (founding a new church). He could call it "The Universe Church" and it would be dedicated to all the things science has not yet discovered. It would have to be a dome shape so the ceiling could display a planetarium during the services. Elon could point out interesting areas of the galaxy to explore while extolling the virtues of becoming a multi-planetary congregation. All offerings deposited in the offering plate would be applied to the Mars "mission". This would make the mission tax-deductible.:)

I am a possibilian.

I am a possibilian.

Keep an open mind, but no so open that your brains fall out.
James Oberg, NASA engineer and science writer

An open mind should not be confused with credulity.
From a personal communication to me by Craig F. Bohren, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus of Atmospheric Physics, Penn State Department of Meteorology

Nearly always people believe willingly that which they want to believe.
Julius Caesar

Keep an open mind, but no so open that your brains fall out.
James Oberg, NASA engineer and science writer

An open mind should not be confused with credulity.
From a personal communication to me by Craig F. Bohren, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus of Atmospheric Physics, Penn State Department of Meteorology

Nearly always people believe willingly that which they want to believe.
Julius Caesar

I do my honest best not to offend those of faith. I believe they have a fundamental right to practice their faith, and to proselytize. In a real sense I envy those of faith, I can only imagine that there is a real security in their belief.

I too, believe that I possess those same fundamental rights. When someone argues that they have an invisible friend in the sky, I am compelled to cry bullshit.

Maybe that will be Elon's next endeavor (founding a new church). He could call it "The Universe Church" and it would be dedicated to all the things science has not yet discovered. It would have to be a dome shape so the ceiling could display a planetarium during the services. Elon could point out interesting areas of the galaxy to explore while extolling the virtues of becoming a multi-planetary congregation. All offerings deposited in the offering plate would be applied to the Mars "mission". This would make the mission tax-deductible.:)
With 100 supercharger stalls powered by solar panels in the parking lot :)

I have seen that article and I have had a hard reconciling their numbers.
If 80% of the US$2B is to arrive in 2020, then that would be $1.6B in 2020. I believe it was reported by FCA that they had $230m in emissions costs in Europe in Q1. That number is too low if we are to believe the $1.6B for the full year.
Maybe we learn more from the Q2 10Q.

Q1 is seasonally the weakest selling quarter of the year.

Italy, Fiat strongest European market, imposed a lockdown on March 9.

March would normally be the strongest selling month in Q1.

Fiat's need for offsets should have been really low for Q1 2020.

Does anyone else track Tesla’s used inventory? The inventory has greatly reduced, prices are slowly rising, only models with less desirable color options are left. Might be seasonal, but I’d say I’ve seen a steady trend since Q1 earnings. Model X with 6 seat config are all but gone, 22 inch wheel selection is sparse now. Model S selection is shrinking. When a popular configuration comes up it’s gone within a day. Not sure if Tesla is making much money on these, but the trend is a used Tesla is very popular and prices are rising not dropping. In March you could get a Model X P90d for $53k or a 75d for $48k. Now you can’t touch those prices.

Also FSD has been added to many 2017+ models. Could be a reason for price increases.

Just started listening to TeslaCharts interview of Trevor Milton, Executive Chairman and founder of Nikola Motors. You can find links to the podcast here: https://twitter.com/icapulet/status/1284881956509974529

Here's what I've got so far:
  • Milton admits Fuel Cells are "many times" less efficient than BEVs.
  • He's focused on costs, not efficiency.
  • Problem has been that hydrogen produced via electrolysis (the only way to create it with renewable energy) is expensive, like $16/kg. He claims Nikola has that cost down to $3/kg and that $4/kg is cost parity with diesel.
  • First claim is that by working with Nel ASA they have standardized hydrogen creation such that the cost of the station is now $15 Million. They are not transporting the hydrogen - they intend to make it at the refueling stations.
  • Second claim is that since the main contributor to the cost per kilogram is the cost of electricity, Milton has done deals with the main producers, like TVA, to buy energy off of the big federal transmission lines, bypassing utilities. AND, since they structure the deal so they only take electricity when the generator has excess energy and don't take any when the generator sees a surge in demand, Nikola is essentially acting as a generation buffer, which has great value to the generator. Thus, the electricity they get is very cheap, sometimes free. Overall he says their cost will be $0.02 to $0.04 per kWh.
  • He claims they can do this since they're not in the urban areas dealing with utilities. No demand charges, for instance.
  • He claims "the majority is all clean," but a few minutes earlier he was bashing BEV charging as having a dirty source.
  • He also claims that if Tesla were to try to do this electricity arbitrage with battery storage instead of hydrogen storage it'd cost them too much. He points to needing the equivalent of each truck's battery in the charging station, and then replacing the truck battery every 3 years and the stationary battery every 5-6 years since capacity would be reduced by 30% after 2K-3K cycles for the truck and 4k-6k cycles for stationary. He says he's using Tesla's own battery life numbers for this. He talked about 10 trucks fast charging in a hour needing 20mW of power, which would result in big demand charges. Again, this can only be in rural environments, which is great for trucking anyway.
  • Tesla's superchargers today charge about $0.26/kWh. They have to do that because of demand and other charges, even though the cost of electricity is less than half that. He did note that Tesla claimed $0.07/kWh to Semitruck owners.
The one advantage for hydrogen that IS real is the weight savings. Batteries are heavy and take away from the carrying capacity of the Semi trucks.

BTW, the first routes appear to be for Anheuser-Busch for hundreds of trucks on the same routes. He wouldn't say exactly what routes, but he did say close to HQ (Phoenix) and later did mention Los Angeles to Phoenix. He mentioned 18 months away from having stations on 2 routes.

And again, Nikola is not just selling trucks. They're selling usage of the trucks at a per mile cost. So, Milton says they will make money not just on the trucks, but on the hydrogen they're selling to Anheuser-Busch, who is nonetheless happy since the cost to them is less than what they pay for diesel trucks and fuel.

Nikola needs a ton of money to build this hydrogen generation/refueling infrastructure in addition to building the trucks. Beyond that, though, someone needs to work the numbers here. My instinct says the "multiple times" efficiency penalty of hydrogen is not overcome by the cost savings of electricity used to produce hydrogen, especially at the cost of those hydrogen generation stations, which is far less than any electrolysis generation station today costs.

The podcast is getting into the financials, the SPAC, him being forced to step down as CEO, etc.

Does anyone else track Tesla’s used inventory? The inventory has greatly reduced, prices are slowly rising, only models with less desirable color options are left. Might be seasonal, but I’d say I’ve seen a steady trend since Q1 earnings. Model X with 6 seat config are all but gone, 22 inch wheel selection is sparse now. Model S selection is shrinking. When a popular configuration comes up it’s gone within a day. Not sure if Tesla is making much money on these, but the trend is a used Tesla is very popular and prices are rising not dropping. In March you could get a Model X P90d for $53k or a 75d for $48k. Now you can’t touch those prices.

Also FSD has been added to many 2017+ models. Could be a reason for price increases.

A number of us are hoping that the reduction in Models S&X inventory is in anticipation of a full refresh, with updated interior and new Plaid drivetrain with Kato Rd/Roadrunner produced batteries.

The Germans should be embarrassed. It’s like watching paint dry compared to the Chinese.

Not according to Tobias Lindh who released this timeline on Twitter:

timeline.jpeg

Source: https://twitter.com/tobilindh/status/1284896481586143234

I'm not too much int lease, I don't have a business to deduct it from my taxes,
but I was looking at the cost of the Self-Driving:

$499 /mo - Lease without FSD
$606 /mo - Lease without FSD

$107 - Monthly FSD Lease (additional cost)

Total cost of FSD for 36 months: $3,852

How many months of Lease is FSD: ($8,000 / $107) = 75 months or 6 years and 3 months.

Note: There are some speculations that Tesla will provide FSD as a monthly service.

If Tesla starts a $100 /mo (?) FSD service, and if you keep your car less than 6 years,
the monthly service would be cheaper than a full down payment.

If I buy or loan a Tesla for 3 years or 36 months,
the monthly FSD cost would be: ($8,000 / 36) = $222 / mo

Question: How much do you think the FSD service will cost,
or how much would you be eager to pay each month
(if you can cancel when you don't need it)?

I just guess that FSD might be a $250 / mo service.

Last edited:
If Tesla starts a $100 /mo (?) FSD service, and if you keep your car less than 6 years,
the monthly service would be cheaper than a full down payment.

Tesla has already stated that the monthly FSD service will cost more than buying it outright. I estimate that the monthly subscription will be closer to $200/month (with a minimum 12 month commitment, ~$350/month without.)

If you are leasing having FSD as part of the lease will always be the cheapest option.