Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Off topic: Whatever island @Krugerrand bids for I say dog lovers get together to outbid her.:)

On topic: There is some concern that batteries may not get built at GF4. No need to worry. Tesla just pushing hard on getting the main factory built and to do this they are pushing battery production (which is holding up some approvals it seems) go as they maneuver around the mine fields created trying to get it approved asap. It will get done but let us not slow down general factory build.
a few weeks back I noticed that European countries were giving money to quite a few companies to build just the batteries. Perhaps one of those countries has already signed a deal to make Tesla Batteries?

that guy seems obnoxious as they come.

is his confidence because he actually has a solid plan, or is it because he’s a hype machine that will disappear with his 10s of millions into the virtual wilderness when the whole thing comes crashing down

That dude is clearly next Marc Spiegl as the latter one has become irrelevant.

you could not have a more believable post considering your moniker

Investors would be wise to remember my moniker when reading FUD; it's not as important when reading my primarily optimistic posts. ;)

Not much opportunity to stress for TSLA investors these days though, unless you're stressing about how to spend your annual earnings earned within a single day investing.

Reactions: Harrito
Aptly, I love my corded power drill. It works so much better than any battery one I’ve ever had or used, and it never needs charging.

Just like fractional Vs whole shares: you can’t sell fractional to those who don’t buy fractional, you may or may not get any voting rights, and any gain you get is divided. Further, the mentality of having fractions of a whole and not a whole.

Leaving that aside, I think retail investors are not aware of fractional shares. When a newb thinks of stock trading, they probably think a piece of paper per share is traded like Pokémon cards. They wouldn’t think of someone cutting a card up into smaller bits would be a real thing.

You're talking "piece of paper." Most Gen-Z'ers have never even seen a stock certificate. I'm convinced that I'm seeing a generational divide here. My late 20's son knows about fractional shares even though he doesn't do any trading (he works for low wages for the Sierra Club). There's a reason I showed a chart from Robintrack and not Schwab.

And if your corded drill works better, then you haven't used the latest round of lithium-ion brushless motor drills from Makita or Milwaukee, etc. I chose that analogy on purpose - I still hear people with ICE cars saying how great they are, yet battery-powered cars are just better.

I'd say "OK, boomer," but I'm one myself.

Couldn't we all just pool our TSLA earnings and split an island 12 ways? It would behave like a time share, we would each get 1 month to have the island to ourselves and our friends/family. It's not like there's real seasons in the Caribbean or wherever, so no one would need to fight anyone for the "prime" month...

off topic issue: Can't share with cats: They use anything that looks/feel like sand as a litter box. At least dog people normally are use to 'scooping the poop'.....cats that crap outside their in home litter box...owner's don't worry about:rolleyes:

By this axis scale Tesla is expecting the stock to go into the multiple thousands soon. :)

Screenshot_20200701_190731_com.android.chrome.jpg

Reactions: willow_hiller
Couldn't we all just pool our TSLA earnings and split an island 12 ways? It would behave like a time share, we would each get 1 month to have the island to ourselves and our friends/family. It's not like there's real seasons in the Caribbean or wherever, so no one would need to fight anyone for the "prime" month...

Yes. Everyone else should do that and I’ll buy my own.

My vote would be to split the stock. 10 for 1. I will stay away from the fractional argument. I remember the days where you always had to buy/sell in round lots of 100 shares.

Main reason would be less allocated capital needed to sell a contract of puts or covered calls. Although I guess you could argue this is a good reason not to split the stock:).

For those who are following from the bleachers:

TSLA closed at 1119.63
2Jul20 1095 TSLA Put - Bid 9.25, Ask 9.90, Mid 9.525, Intrinsic Value 0, Premium 9.525
2Jul20 1130 TSLA Put - Bid 25.00, Ask: 27.40, Mid 26.20, Intrinsic Value 11.54, Premium 14.66
2Jul20 1200 TSLA Put - Bid 80.25, Ask: 88.65, Mid 84.45, Intrinsic Value 81.54, Premium 2.91

In the morning, the premium on the first and second will collapse to about $1, increasing some if the stock price gets close to the strike price, and going to zero as the day goes on. Of course, I can't make any more from these trades than I got when I opened the positions. But I can lose a lot if the stock crashes. I don't see that happening, unless there's a really bad P&D report in the morning. And that won't happen because if the report is really bad they'll almost certainly wait until Friday to release it.

So, if there's a report in the morning it will probably be good and the first two positions will expire worthless for the win. The third position I will close when the stock seems to me to be near a top. Or I'll let it expire worthless if TSLA gets well about $1200, which seems rather unlikely. If there's no report in the morning, I don't think the stock price will go down much if at all. So I'll do the same, except I'll roll the third position to next week and get another "P&D report" premium. I might also open a new short put position for next week too.

Seems like easy money. I look forward to finding out what will go wrong with my plan. It's always something.

This is just trading around the edges for fun. Regardless, I am firmly of the belief that it is better to have time working for you than against you. But on big upswings like this it's surely calls that make the most money. My ratio of gains today for stock:calls:short puts was 10:33:22.
Some brilliant diabolical thinking. Very creative and the logic is solid.

OT
$4,000 per person to travel in the U.S.: A new bill would help Americans vacation
Senator Martha McSally (R-AZ) recently proposed a new bill that, if passed, would give Americans a $4,000 tax credit for taking a vacation within the United States.

Under the American Tax Rebate and Incentive Program Act, or the American TRIP Act, each adult could claim up to $4,000 in travel-related expenses. Married couples could receive up to $8,000, and families would be eligible for another $500 credit per child.

The credit would apply to vacations taken between December 31, 2019, and January 1, 2022, so if you took a vacation earlier in 2020, you could write it off in your taxes. To be eligible, the trip has to be more than 50 miles from your home

cheers!!

That's just what we need to kick this CV-19 once and for all. Americans travelling all over this great country and meeting wonderful people in neighboring states! It's brilliant, I tell you. /s

My vote would be to split the stock. 10 for 1. I will stay away from the fractional argument. I remember the days where you always had to buy/sell in round lots of 100 shares.

Main reason would be less allocated capital needed to sell a contract of puts or covered calls. Although I guess you could argue this is a good reason not to split the stock:).

I also think 10 for 1..

Perhaps the split topic should have it's own thread.

Most areas are break even, P/E Ratio, Capital Raises, etc, because at the end of they day they boil down to a real dollar amount for revenue/profit or capital raised.

But the marginal advantages are:-
  • A small price move on a lower priced stock, translates to a larger percentage move.
  • There is more liquidity not in terms of percentage of the float, but in number of shares traded. (and probably in options)
  • A bit easier for new retailer buyers to buy whole shares. (and options)
  • Employee share bonus scheme might be easier to manage with a lower share price
Telsa is expanding and will soon have lots of employees, I think employees will prefer to own whole shares rather than fractions.

Fractional shares remind me of the old days when we had the "Odd Lot Broker", it is a complexity create by having a lot size of greater than or less than 1 share. Lot size of one share is simple, easy to understand, and doesn't need a middle man.

I don’t think either group should do it. Debates are not the way to settle technical differences - the truth gets lost in style and personalities. Often the BS artists are better at that than the technical experts.

ARK puts out technical assessments occasionally. They should do one illustrating why they include EVs in their ETFs and not FCEVs. Reference data sources. Show the math. QED.

edit: What @UncaNed said.
Agreed, smart people continue to think debates are won on facts and data.