Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so how many days until TSLA passes Toyota on this list? Whatever the time frame I underestimated how soon it would happen. I thought it would take longer.

View attachment 542919

The Mkt Cap of TSLA was above that value ($164.53B) from Feb 19-21, 2020. Then, on Mar 19, 2020 Tesla made this Operational Update regarding Fremont, resulting in a certain number of days away.

TSLA.chart.2020-02-19.png

Using that number of days (51) and projecting forward a similar period for recovery from May 11, let's say Tue, July 7, 2020. ;)

Of course, on Feb19-21 we were yet to learn this info from Tesla: (affects Mkt Cap)
  • Model Y already shipping and profitable in Q1
  • MiC Model 3 margins already match Fremont
  • GF3/Shanghai ramping to 4K/wk by end of Q2
  • FSD feature (Stop on Signal) delivery in Q2
So, TSLA should reach the fair value levels you cite above somewhat sooner than July 7. Imma say its gonna be the Forth of July. :D

Cheers!

Last edited:
I think the better approach is modest upfront cost and charge $$ on a per mile robotaxi basis. This way it is available at a reasonable cost to someone that wants it for personal use only. Use subscription or per mile fees for the investors/robotaxi operators to capture the value they are getting from FSD.

You're thinking about what's best for you and a subset of consumers who prefer private car ownership over Mobility as a Service. What's best for Tesla, and what Tesla is actually going to do, is likely going to differ. If a Tesla robotaxi turns out to generate an annual return of 5%, or even 13%, plenty buyers will be lining up, and Tesla has no incentive to sell it for any less.

Tesla presentation on VPP and Autobidder - how it all works..
Just finished watching this. Wow!

Guess I understood like 90% of it, which is less than I did with Pete Bannon Autonomy Day.

My key takeaways is that Tesla are really good at software. I worked a little bit with firmware development and network protocols before and Tesla are doing it like pros, unlike my experience in the industry. Both speakers are brilliant, Tesla sure can attract the best players and no doubt Tesla will be the winning team in this game. Software seems production ready while still being pretty close to an optimal solution and easy to upgrade. It should work great with solar and power walls and is ready to add V2G with the million mile battery.

Again Tesla gives the correct answers, but even with the answers the competition will struggle to even reimplement what Tesla did in the software for many years and the competition is way less vertically integrated in the hardware stack. It’s not even close...

I think many of us have failed to grasp just how far ahead in the VPP race Tesla is. Expect the battery day to make this more clear for the industry.

If they have enough commercial demand at far higher margins then they better not be giving away the same cars for lower prices.

In 2021 Tesla is likely to produce around 1M cars. If Tesla chose to use these as Robotaxis where would it get the $50Bn+ in cash to fund this? In 2022 the production capacity will be higher and hence the cash requirement would be higher.

So the only realistic way forward seems to be a combination of creating a robotaxi fleet and selling cars for personal use. In fact Tesla already plan to use their model 3 lease cars to build the Tesla owned robotaxi fleet. This should cut the capital cost (and hence cash requirement) by around 50%. However whilst this is ramping it makes sense to leverage existing privately owned Teslas to supplement the Tesla owned robotaxi fleet, sharing the profits with the owners in some manner.

So the only realistic way forward seems to be a combination of creating a robotaxi fleet and selling cars for personal use.

Selling cars does not mean they can not be used as robotaxis. Individuals, fleet operators, and/or other random investors can buy Tesla vehicles to generate an income for them as a robotaxi.

Just finished watching this. Wow!

Guess I understood like 90% of it, which is less than I did with Pete Bannon Autonomy Day.

My key takeaways is that Tesla are really good at software. I worked a little bit with firmware development and network protocols before and Tesla are doing it like pros, unlike my experience in the industry. Both speakers are brilliant, Tesla sure can attract the best players and no doubt Tesla will be the winning team in this game. Software seems production ready while still being pretty close to an optimal solution and easy to upgrade. It should work great with solar and power walls and is ready to add V2G with the million mile battery.

Again Tesla gives the correct answers, but even with the answers the competition will struggle to even reimplement what Tesla did in the software for many years and the competition is way less vertically integrated in the hardware stack. It’s not even close...

I think many of us have failed to grasp just how far ahead in the VPP race Tesla is. Expect the battery day to make this more clear for the industry.

Yes, I am bullish, a V2G car is the only part missing.

The part when the local system makes it own decision based on price information for m Autobidder is brilliant, everyone makes money but the customer comes first.

I also think this kind of aggregate solution is more powerful than people think, an electricity retailer just needs to install Autobidder and a VPP to get an edge on the completion, but all customers of that utility need to use Tesla products to be in the VPP.

Tesla has also patented the whole IOT solution...

In Australia we have incumbent Gentailers who are large retailers who own generators and have out-sized market power, this solution allows a new retailer to compete, both on electricity prices, and attracting customers...

My key takeaways is that Tesla are really good at software.

Well....yes and no. Clearly autopilot is awesome, but teslas attitude to the MCU is kinda awful. They still haven't turned off log spamming meaning MCU1s are ticking time bomb due to that chip... and their last but one software update nuked by accident the ability for MCU1 cars to recognize USB drives.
Every time they do a software update all of my favorites from the USB drive are deleted, and now, randomly when I get to my car in the morning the drivers side screen is switched off and has to power-up, despite always-on being enabled.

I love tesla, but they need to realize that buggy MCU dev reflects *really* badly. Especially as some people wont trust autopilot in a car where the main screen has issues.

EU car sales suffer record drop of more than 75 per cent in April

Just around 270,000 new cars were registered last month, compared to 1.14 million in April 2019, the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) said in a monthly bulletin published on Tuesday.

"The first full month with Covid-19 restrictions in place resulted in the strongest monthly drop in car demand since records began," ACEA noted.

In March, year-on-year sales were down by 55.1 per cent.

Source: EU car sales suffer record drop of more than 75 per cent in April

So the only realistic way forward seems to be a combination of creating a robotaxi fleet and selling cars for personal use. In fact Tesla already plan to use their model 3 lease cars to build the Tesla owned robotaxi fleet. This should cut the capital cost (and hence cash requirement) by around 50%. However whilst this is ramping it makes sense to leverage existing privately owned Teslas to supplement the Tesla owned robotaxi fleet, sharing the profits with the owners in some manner.

The capital cost shouldn't be a problem if profits are going through the roof. Wall Street is begging to fund the fleet once FSD is real.

Elon stated in the past that they are likely to follow the app store (Apple, Google) revenue split model. Let's assume robotaxi revenue is split between the vehicle owner (70%) and Tesla (30%). In this case I've difficulties to understand why Tesla would sell a single vehicle for 50k or even 100k if the vehicle isn't participating robotaxi fleet. It's hard to imagine a situation where one sale provides 90% margin (actively participating robofleet) and the other sale 25% margin (private vehicle). It's probably fair to expect the demand for FSD robotaxis is greater than supply for years to come.

Only saying the current business model doesn't work anymore if FSD becomes reality. Interesting times ahead :)

Reactions: EinSV
I do not remember any discussion of potential battery suppliers for GF Berlin. Has anyone else seen anything on this? I am not aware of existing suppliers in Europe that would be capable of meeting the volume that would be required. Perhaps the plan is that Tesla will manufacture all cells itself at GF Berlin. Maybe this will be covered in Battery Day. I am hoping that this is the case and the Model Ys produced in Berlin will have the rumoured tabless million mile cells. :)

I suspect that GF Berlin will produce it's own batteries just judging by the size of the building (its actually planned to be much larger than GF Shanghai)

• Informative
Reactions: RabidYak and GOVA