Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Europe Beats China in Electric Vehicle Sales, Study Shows

Germany, France, the U.K, Italy and Spain collectively registered 79,300 fully electric vehicles between January and March, narrowly edging past the 77,256 in China, the study found. Unit sales more than doubled in Europe in that period, compared with the first quarter of 2019. In China, sales fell by more than half in the quarter because of the lockdown.

Source: Bloomberg

You can’t partner because you have nothing of value to contribute.

This one is a head scratcher. Companies choose to not use Tesla's patents because they don't want to give up theirs as well? Like what are they afraid of, Tesla going to find out how you make all the panels gapless? Or perhaps Tesla will look at that "technology" and find you are not better than they are?

Reactions: Sudre
I think, to add to that, what's important is to discern where innovation adds value, and where it doesn't. Designing and building everything yourself is needlessly expensive.
  • Tesla doesn't manufacture its own windshields.
  • Tesla doesn't manufacture its own console display panels.
  • Tesla doesn't manufacture its own speakers.
  • Tesla doesn't manufacture its own brakes.
  • Tesla doesn't manufacture its own tires.

Except: Tesla glass and that nobody else builds a car with a windshield like Model X for example. So while Tesla doesn’t make ‘glass’ they certainly innovated in that area and simply found someone who could make it for them.

Except: Tesla does work closely with tire and wheel manufacturers to produce tires and wheels specific to Tesla vehicles.

Except: Tesla makes its own seating because no supplier could achieve what Tesla wanted, fast enough.

Except: Tesla designed its own door mechanism for Model X because the company that said they could, couldn’t.

Except: Tesla does its own castings and has now significantly innovated in vehicle castings with a patent (pending?) for its own casting machine.

Except: Tesla made its own stainless steel - well, it might have been SpaceX - that will become CYBRTRCK.

I don’t disagree with your premise about commodity items, but I contend that everything is on the Tesla innovation table if certain criteria aren’t met by available suppliers.

It was more fun when stock was under 250 because I actually did something like buying. Now it's just a spectator game for me.
In my boredom I started playing with EV company out of Oregon ticker: FUV. Every time Zach and Jesse from Tesla podcast "Now You Know" talk about FUV, it jumps. About a year ago Zach and Jesse podcasted about FUV, it jumped 400% the next day. This last Friday Zach and Jesse interviewed the CEO, during the podcast it jumped 10% and now another 30% today!

Last edited:
This one is a head scratcher. Companies choose to not use Tesla's patents because they don't want to give up theirs as well? Like what are they afraid of, Tesla going to find out how you make all the panels gapless? Or perhaps Tesla will look at that "technology" and find you are not better than they are?

What's your source that no one is using Tesla's patents?

6d308c137fedb9cdc71856d04f302c73.png

I'm as more likely to believe that this is the media saying Tesla is backtracking when they just misreported that some workers were coming back this week to prep for full opening next week as opening this week than any actual backtracking on Teslas part

Except: Tesla glass and that nobody else builds a car with a windshield like Model X for example. So while Tesla doesn’t make ‘glass’ they certainly innovated in that area and simply found someone who could make it for them.

Except: Tesla does work closely with tire and wheel manufacturers to produce tires and wheels specific to Tesla vehicles.

Except: Tesla makes its own seating because no supplier could achieve what Tesla wanted, fast enough.

Except: Tesla designed its own door mechanism for Model X because the company that said they could, couldn’t.

Except: Tesla does its own castings and has now significantly innovated in vehicle castings with a patent (pending?) for its own casting machine.

Except: Tesla made its own stainless steel - well, it might have been SpaceX - that will become CYBRTRCK.

I don’t disagree with your premise about commodity items, but I contend that everything is on the Tesla innovation table if certain criteria aren’t met by available suppliers.

Um, are you just being argumentative, @Krugerrand ? You say "except" but don't contradict anything I wrote, starting with my limited "such as" list. All of the ones you mention they got 3rd-parties to manufacture better, cheaper, or faster than they could themselves. Which proves the point I was trying to make.

Thanks for one-upping me, though...

Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
OT FUV-related
In my boredom I started playing with EV company out of Oregon ticker: FUV. Every time Zach and Jesse from Tesla podcast "Now You Know" talk about FUV, it jumps. About a year ago Zach and Jesse podcasted about FUV, it jumped 400% the next day. This last Friday Zach and Jesse interviewed the CEO, during the podcast it jumped 10% and now another 30% today!

Indeed, and I did a similar thing. In fact, I bought last week at $1.57, sold today at $2.25, a 43% gain. Sheesh. I bought on a whim based on their recent drop, with production finally underway and the Deliverator/Rapid Responder units getting closer. Put a small play amount into it thinking maybe there was a chance for a bit of a bounce in the next few months. Did not expect 43% in a week. I'm obviously far less committed to FUV's future than TSLA's, so I'll gladly take that win and run.

Back into some more TSLA..

I think FUV is a cool little company. I owned a bit before the world went to heck.

Reactions: gene
For the psychological value of a higher SP, or something else? Since fractional shares became more common, the only real difference I can see with a split is the availability of cheaper options.

if the increase in capital required to manipulate or short helps us as LT holders, than i’ll take it. i’ll happily pay up for options if we are a bit more insulated.

but i’m not sure that’s the case...it hasn’t been in the run from 450-980-450-790 yet, just in the last 4 months

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller