Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, I'm a Tesla bull. However, I don't buy the notion cleaner air from COVID-19 quarantines will cause large numbers of people to purchase BEVs the next several years. Just don't see it.

Foxhole repentance rarely sticks once a person gets out of the foxhole. Fortunately, we have other reasons to be excited and the comfort of knowing time is on our side.

I've given this some thought, and come up with some guesses as to groups of sellers, their strategies and motivations, this relates specially to Tesla, and it is a form of "rough speculation", it doesn't necessarily tell us anything really useful..

One key consideration is "loss-adverse" behaviour and "behavioural contagion' as described in this article:-
https://www.smh.com.au/business/mar...to-do-with-you-know-what-20200408-p54i6g.html

• Short Sellers - strategy - cover at a lower price.
  • Short term traders - individual strategies - include "loss-adverse" and "timing the market", but also others.
  • Retail - "loss-adverse" - strategy - waiting out lows.
  • Retail - "timing the market" - strategy - buy back at a lower price.
  • Funds - "loss-minimisation" - customers are "loss-adverse" - strategy - waiting out lows.
  • Funds - "timing the market" - strategy - buy back at a lower price.
In this case the difference between "timing the market" and "loss-adverse" is the "loss-adverse" group want to be 100% sure the market has bottomed before buying back in, "timing the market" are looking to maximise gains, rather than minimise losses.

For funds with "loss-minimisation" strategies, this depends on when they report to customers, and what funds need to pay out short term, keeping more cash ensure they can meet all payments including fund withdrawals. It is important to note in this case funds are not trying to maximise returns, just to provide the appearance of minimising losses.

So IMO anyone "loss-adverse" is still on the sidelines, that doesn't mean new lows are definitely coming, just that this group are unlikely to buy until they are 100% convinced that this can't happen
adverse
adjective [ before noun ]

US

/ædˈvɝːs/ UK

/ˈæd.vɜːs/ /ədˈvɜːs/

negative or harmful effect on something:
The game has been canceled because of adverse weather conditions.
They received a lot of adverse publicity/criticism about the changes.
So far the drug is thought not to have any adverse effects.
averse
adjective [ after verb ]

US

/əˈvɝːs/ UK

/əˈvɜːs/

strongly disliking or opposed to:
Few people are averse to the idea of a free vacation.
I'm not averse to (= I like) the occasional glass of champagne myself.

Many people are confusing these two words. They are quite dissimilar.
For that matter many among us seem to equate 'disinterested' with 'uninterested'.
Were I to need a professional opinion I hope it would be disinterested. I would be appalled were to be uninterested.

Finally, I am risk averse precisely because I do not want the adverse effects of avoidable mistakes.

I apologize if this seems impolite. Precision and accuracy are essential to clear communication so that is a weak apology.

Guys, I'm a Tesla bull. However, I don't buy the notion cleaner air from COVID-19 quarantines will cause large numbers of people to purchase BEVs the next several years. Just don't see it.

Foxhole repentance rarely sticks once a person gets out of the foxhole. Fortunately, we have other reasons to be excited and the comfort of knowing time is on our side.
True- but just like society thought that we would never have a pandemic again because our medicine was so good, global warming is coming and now people can pause and think large global scale catastrophes can actually happen.

Actually, I had a dream about TSLA last night. I was watching the ticker with a friend on an options expiration Friday, and suddenly the stock hit $1,100, then next second $1,200, and then it continued to swiftly run up until it hit $4,000 something before dropping back down. We were both super excited about what we had just witnessed, but when we looked back at the ticker it suddenly hit $8,500!! It wasn't until this point that I had the thought that maybe I should jump behind my PC and sell a few shares in the hopes of buying them back cheaper later :D
Was that 4/20 or mid May? Asking for a friend.

Well said. We only need recall that after the flu of 1918/1919 and the end of WWI the Roaring Twenties followed. It is possible that better government and private sector disaster preparedness might improve, but even that is by no mens assured. This time notably prepared countries might have been Finland, Germany and South Korea. All three have experienced massive trauma within living memory and repeated ones not too long before. Preparedness depends on perceiving a threat.

A few national leaders resist wearing masks or social distancing for themselves. What is the liklihood that such leaders will devote resources to prevention. If a national leader is a denier of anthropomorphic climate change said leader will NOT support preparedness for a new 'little flu' or anything else.

Tesla will do fine, but not just because of national policies. They'll succeed because people want their products.

When the (first wave) lockdown is over, what do you expect the world to look like? Do you expect that life will return more or less to normal?
Social distancing measures may need to remain in place 'indefinitely', government experts believe

The rosy estimates I see on this website seem to be made without any appreciation that the world is unlikely to be anything close to normal until there’s a vaccine.

This said, next week markets will likely rise again, with participants latching their hope onto the pretty inconclusive remdesivir results.

The most sure fire sign that we’re heading for a second bottom is broad consensus among retail that there won’t be a second bottom.
How do you live like this?
If you picked up a person from the year of 2000, they'll look at us and say "this is not normal." Society already changes at a neck breaking speed under peaceful environment. Do not underestimate the power of human wills and innovation in desperate times. We can survive and thrive far longer than you can keep wishing for the sky to fall.
If you think Elon Musk is worrying, that Tesla is worrying, this is not the forum for you. How do you invest in a company without sharing their attitude?
What do your short and put position look like? Put your money where your mouth is.

Last edited:
Cathie Wood is brilliant at talking her own book and promoting her “innovation” fund. Good luck to her, she’s convinced many here to hand over management fees and hopefully she makes them some money.

It wasn’t very many months ago that she was turning logic on its head talking about how this time it was different and yield inversion heralded a near perpetual bull run / period of economic growth due to “innovation”. Fair play Kathie, you are a heck of a sales person.
The market is bullish AF. Gdp tanking, unemployment skyrocketing, the market give zero F. I lost three months worth of returns from a growth company. Even all the shorts who thought they won by getting Tesla closed are still bleeding on the streets. I don't even know where sp would be if the virus wasn't a thing. You act like inversion curve predicted a economic shutdown. Da faq kind of logic was that? You are literally becoming a troll.

The market is bullish AF. Gdp tanking, unemployment skyrocketing, the market give zero F. I lost three months worth of returns from a growth company. Even all the shorts who thought they won by getting Tesla closed are still bleeding on the streets. I don't even know where sp would be if the virus wasn't a thing. You act like inversion curve predicted a economic shutdown. Da faq kind of logic was that? You are literally becoming a troll.
As someone has said, perhaps one of the most annoying side effects of this virus is that now every troll and short gets to feel like a genius.

This event has given researchers an otherwise impossible view into what the world looks like with a fraction the fossil fuels burning 24/7 across the globe ... i had always done thought experiments about this and pondered what would it look like if we could stop burning fossil fuels ... now we are likely to have 2 plus months of such data in various parts of the globe .... and so far the results are outstanding Los Angeles was the least polluted major city one day last week ...

I hope this tragic event is giving people time to think about their lives, their children, their parents and what kind of world they want for them in in the future.

CV-19 is a respiratory illness exasperated by air pollution ... China is embracing Tesla EVs because their lives depend on it ... our lives also depend on it ... we just don't acknowledge it yet

Most of us are not in the foxhole... you may not care or believe in climate change ... but who in their right mind does not want clean air to breathe for their family...

Climate change/global warming is the wrong argument ... clean air is the right argument and we get the benefits of reducing the impacts of climate change thrown in....

I for one am sharing the clean air reports from the EPA/IQAir with anyone who will listen

Here is the last few years in NYC area... check out from mid march 2020 -present clean and green ....
upload_2020-4-11_9-37-28.png

This event has given researchers an otherwise impossible view into what the world looks like with a fraction the fossil fuels burning 24/7 across the globe ... i had always done thought experiments about this and pondered what would it look like if we could stop burning fossil fuels ... now we are likely to have 2 plus months of such data in various parts of the globe .... and so far the results are outstanding Los Angeles was the least polluted major city one day last week ...

I hope this tragic event is giving people time to think about their lives, their children, their parents and what kind of world they want for them in in the future.

CV-19 is a respiratory illness exasperated by air pollution ... China is embracing Tesla EVs because their lives depend on it ... our lives also depend on it ... we just don't acknowledge it yet

Most of us are not in the foxhole... you may not care or believe in climate change ... but who in their right mind does not want clean air to breathe for their family...

Climate change/global warming is the wrong argument ... clean air is the right argument and we get the benefits of reducing the impacts of climate change thrown in....

I for one am sharing the clean air reports from the EPA/IQAir with anyone who will listen

Here is the last few years in NYC area... check out from mid march 2020 -present clean and green ....
View attachment 531402
Wow, you need a reading comprehension lesson. You completely swung and missed what I actually said.

Well said. We only need recall that after the flu of 1918/1919 and the end of WWI the Roaring Twenties followed. It is possible that better government and private sector disaster preparedness might improve, but even that is by no mens assured. This time notably prepared countries might have been Finland, Germany and South Korea. All three have experienced massive trauma within living memory and repeated ones not too long before. Preparedness depends on perceiving a threat.

A few national leaders resist wearing masks or social distancing for themselves. What is the liklihood that such leaders will devote resources to prevention. If a national leader is a denier of anthropomorphic climate change said leader will NOT support preparedness for a new 'little flu' or anything else.

Tesla will do fine, but not just because of national policies. They'll succeed because people want their products.

As usual, the innovators will fix this. Cathie Wood is right.

The consensus is emerging that preparing for CV-type events are: rapid DNA sequencing, rapid development of testing, socially acceptable contact tracing, limited social distancing (and, of course, rapid vaccine development).

The genomics field has already produced the tech that allowed very rapid SARS-CoV-2 DNA sequencing and testing tech is gearing up.
How Innovations in Genomics and Biotech Can Help With COVID-19

Apple and Google have partnered on techniques for automated contact tracing that preserve privacy and security (I think this one will be huge).
Apple and Google partner on COVID-19 contact tracing technology

Improvement is still needed in Skype/Zoom/WebEx-type tech that allow intuitive, secure, at-home teleworking tools. The economic and political tools that protect other workers from temporary unemployment due to social distancing need to be made structural.

The missimg piece is rapid vaccine development.

The combination of these should allow a SARS-CoV-2 type event to be addressed with much less impact - medically and economically.

In order to remain on-topic: investment opportunities anyone?

• Informative
Reactions: MC3OZ and Thumper
Was that 4/20 or mid May? Asking for a friend.

SP started @ $800 at the start of the dream before it suddenly shot up to $1,100.

So the answer is: whenever we get back to $800, we'll see $8,500 a few minutes later.

Although maybe I should hope that my dreams turn out to be incorrect, because in another dream last night I ended up running naked around a city trying to find a cheap hotel room to stay in for a night, but the cheapest hotel I could find wanted to charge me $3,000 per night... :confused:

Then again... what's $3,000 and a bit of embarrassment if TSLA goes to $8,500 in the next few months :D

If a national leader is a denier of anthropomorphic climate change said leader will NOT support preparedness for a new 'little flu' or anything else.

I think you mean anthropogenic.

I apologize if this seems impolite. Precision and accuracy are essential to clear communication so that is a weak apology.

Sorry, I know was an accidental mistake on your part, but I couldn't resist :D

How do you live like this?
If you picked up a person from the year of 2000, they'll look at us and say "this is not normal." Society already changes at a neck breaking speed under peaceful environment. Do not underestimate the power of human wills and innovation in desperate times. We can survive and thrive far longer than you can keep wishing for the sky to fall.
If you think Elon Musk is worrying, that Tesla is worrying, this is not the forum for you. How do you invest in a company without sharing their attitude?
What do your short and put position look like? Put your money where your mouth is.
I am living quite happily thank you very much, despite it all.

I do not hold any short or put positions right now. As I disclosed before, I already made my money for the year from index puts, at a time when most here were cheering Elon for his tweets and company emails that Coronavirus was nothing to worry about.

It’s quite hard to call the timing of a further market down leg right now, the volatility means premiums are expensive and the current market bias to hope rather than grinding reality means this bear market rally may have further to run (though I cashed out of it on Thursday, we’ll see how wise that was in a week).

It is however possible to look at a very long time scale and still believe that Tesla is well placed to do very well out of the next decade or two. Which is why in my retirement account I haven’t touched my Tesla shares.

But this is supposed to be an investing forum, are we only supposed to write something when we think markets will go up?

By the way I have little doubt that some very smart people will crack the vaccine and it’ll be rolled out some time next year. But that does not make any less profound the economic consequences from both the event and the global policy response.

So how about we talk constructively. Why are you so bullish about the economy in the next year or two? Hopefully you’ll change my mind.

I am most concerned about the fragile cash position of SMEs, the job losses globally which are without parallel in recorded human history (and are happening in places without a welfare state), the continued barrier to international travel which affects economies in a non-uniform way, the eventual inflation risk from QE max, the long term moral hazard from bailing out junk bond holders, the geopolitical consequences in China/Russia/Middle East/Eurozone, the stability of the global financial system given NPLs are likely to move beyond even worst case stress tests, the awful potential for a humanitarian and immigration crisis in the developing world etc...

In all of that mess, there’s fortunes to be made if you can figure out what the world looks like the day after tomorrow (tomorrow being the period in between wave 1 lockdowns ending and a vaccine being rolled out).

We’re hear to share ideas not to cheerlead aren’t we? Specifically for Tesla, I’m still very happy with its prospects for the day after tomorrow, so long as it can make it through to then. I’m fairly happy they will, not because I expect them to be FCF positive in the next 12 months but because I don’t think the US govt will allow any US auto to fail. Personally if I could find someone to underwrite, I’d still be raising more equity at these prices, so Tesla could be more aggressive with M&A through the crisis, without worrying about leaving its own cupboard bare.

Cathie Wood is brilliant at talking her own book and promoting her “innovation” fund. Good luck to her, she’s convinced many here to hand over management fees and hopefully she makes them some money.

It wasn’t very many months ago that she was turning logic on its head talking about how this time it was different and yield inversion heralded a near perpetual bull run / period of economic growth due to “innovation”. Fair play Kathie, you are a heck of a sales person.

Ummm, it took a pandemic to prove her wrong. Think she had a lot of company. I had been thinking recession for at least two years prior to this, but it sure looked liked like I was wrong. I had plenty of company as well. Do not see how you can hold a pandemic against her thinking from four months ago.

Actually kind of ridiculous to do so. Make sure you keep track of all the other natural disasters that come along, so we can comment on how ridiculous Wood looks at that point.

As usual, the innovators will fix this. Cathie Wood is right.

The consensus is emerging that preparing for CV-type events are: rapid DNA sequencing, rapid development of testing, socially acceptable contact tracing, limited social distancing (and, of course, rapid vaccine development).

The genomics field has already produced the tech that allowed very rapid SARS-CoV-2 DNA sequencing and testing tech is gearing up.
How Innovations in Genomics and Biotech Can Help With COVID-19

Apple and Google have partnered on techniques for automated contact tracing that preserve privacy and security (I think this one will be huge).
Apple and Google partner on COVID-19 contact tracing technology

Improvement is still needed in Skype/Zoom/WebEx-type tech that allow intuitive, secure, at-home teleworking tools. The economic and political tools that protect other workers from temporary unemployment due to social distancing need to be made structural.

The missimg piece is rapid vaccine development.

The combination of these should allow a SARS-CoV-2 type event to be addressed with much less impact - medically and economically.

In order to remain on-topic: investment opportunities anyone?
Ummm, it took a pandemic to prove her wrong. Think she had a lot of company. I had been thinking recession for at least two years prior to this, but it sure looked liked like I was wrong. I had plenty of company as well. Do not see how you can hold a pandemic against her thinking from four months ago.

Actually kind of ridiculous to do so. Make sure you keep track of all the other natural disasters that come along, so we can comment on how ridiculous Wood looks at that point.
Well there is no counterfactual. If it wasn’t this it might’ve been something else. Or not. My point is only that the USP of her and her fund is as something resembling an optimistic contrarian. Kathie still beating the drum for a V-Shape recovery should be seen in this light.

Troy could be right, 7 ships is not impossible. But I expect a few less ships to europe,

I'm calculating that Tesla has 29,767 units in inventory and 7,352 of that is in Europe. So, 20,700-7,352= 13,348 would be needed from Fremont for 20,700 deliveries in Europe.

EVSre8ZWsAAkfQX

OlTPzdP.png

In this second table, 31,591 needed from Fremont does not mean I expect Fremont to produce 31,591 units. I expect a lot more production but 31,591 of that will be delivered and whatever is left will be new inventory.

My 95K del estimate is based on demand. If demand was higher, they would easily deliver more.

Here is how I quantified demand:
The biggest negative effect of coronavirus in Q1 was between 16-31 Mar 2020. Based on my calculation, US sales were supposed to be 18,733 between 16-31 March 2020 but they were 13,565 units. That's 72.4% of what it should be. I applied 72.4% to the entire Q2 for US including June.

EVSR4VQXkAQTOtf

That meant a huge drop in Q2. I think normally US sales would be 42,750 but I estimate 31,000 in Q2. That's -27% which seems a reasonably large drop. It's just that the increase in China is large too. There are two opposite forces at play, the increase in China and the decrease everywhere else.

I think EU would be normally 27,500 but I est 20,700 in Q2.

EVTLi1dWkAERZla

Last edited:
I wonder what effect the bio-defense filter available on the Model S&X might have if made available in some different form on M3 & MY. Past discussions of this have deemed it not practical due to size and configuration differences. Now I wonder if some engineering thoughts might be put to a smaller HEPA change to the current filtration system of M3 & MY. Seems like now it might be an attractive option beyond China.