Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would anyone pay any attention to an analyst with a target of $249? He clearly has no idea. The video wouldn't play properly, but I did catch that he's targeting 50k sales in China this year. Is he f***** stupid, or what? No, he's not stupid, he's paid to smear the stock in as convincing a way as possible.
sounds like he might need to try harder :eek:

He also said that most of the recent rise was retails buyers (which I struggle to believe) and that they'd abandon the stock quickly as soon as it starts to drop

Heh. Enter anecdote: I bought more when it fell. And it went up. I guess that proves it was retail purchasers behind the rise :rolleyes:

If you file as "married filed jointly" and your joint income is over $488,851, Federal long term capital gain tax is 20%, plus 3.8% net investment tax under Obamacare and 9.30% for California income tax (or more if your joint income is higher than $590,746).

If you are paying 20% federal and California, you have to be in a much lower tax bracket, it does not matter who your accountant is.
It does make a difference. You also can alter your status in a number of respects. In my decade living in CA I never approached the nominal rates. You really do need a sound tax strategy to live tex-efficiently in California. For that matter, in most places in the world. I have found the costs of a good tax attorney to have been very much a wise move.

I'm actually of the opinion that this afternoons trading action is the smell of new short positions being initiated, not investors taking profits. It feels like it's been ages since we've seen the later afternoon walk down method but pretty much throughout 2018 and 2019, this was like "the" trademark of manipulation of tesla's stock(it was just as common as the MMD). The buying and pattern is practically the same. If it is the walk down method from bears/shorts, they had use a lot of money. If I had to guess, their main objective was to make the stock close lower than the open price, which was 571.89,......which they are in danger of losing with this last min rally :)

Edit: Lol of course that last min batch of 200k sell volume to take it from 571.45 and drive it back down to ensure it does in fact close lower than the open

Last edited:
Hmm, new Tesla model 3's start production in China and during the same month a new deadly flu virus emerges from China... coincidence?

Damn I have to stop watching Person of Interest reruns...
I am a little worried that China Q1 sale may be affected by the virus. Ppl will tend to stay at home, rather than going out shopping. I know Tesla has a very aggressive sales team in China. They call/wechat people all the time. But this is still going be headwind for sales.

I am a little worried that China Q1 sale may be affected by the virus. Ppl will tend to stay at home, rather than going out shopping. I know Tesla has a very aggressive sales team in China. They call/wechat people all the time. But this is still going be headwind for sales.
Do they deliver to the home in China yet? That might help some...

I'm actually of the opinion that this afternoons trading action is the smell of new short positions being initiated, not investors taking profits. It feels like it's been ages since we've seen the later afternoon walk down method but pretty much throughout 2018 and 2019, this was like "the" trademark of manipulation of tesla's stock(it was just as common as the MMD). The buying and pattern is practically the same. If it the walk down method from bears/shorts, they had use a lot of money. If I had to guess, their main objective was to make the stock close lower than the open price, which was 571.89,......which they are in danger of losing with this last min rally :)
well, it did end up closing below open. Its a sad, sad day to close up 4.09% from yesterday's close o_O

The overall tax burden is high especially in places like California where, depending on your income, you can pay up to About 54% on short term gains. Even long-term gains can be total of up to 37% including Obama tax. I’d rather have that money sitting in Tesla with chance to grow then going to Uncle Sam.

I honestly don’t understand why people sell unless they are in a low tax bracket or think there will be a big drop the future.

Even if I knew the stock would drop $100, it would not make sense for me to sell.
Hold long enough, when become millionaire/billionaires, move out of California to Texas/Wahsintong/Florida to sell the stock without paying state income tax. Or move to Puerto Rico to evade federal tax, lie down on the beach and sip some tesquilla

Yeah, but not only is Tesla already sold out until Q2, which is two months away, but you can place your order online. I hardly think not going out beside for work/necessities will stop people from placing their order.

The death toll from the Wuhan coronavirus has risen to 17, as dozens more cases were reported across China and as far afield as the western United States, sparking fears of a possible pandemic.

On Wednesday, the Chinese city of Wuhan -- where the virus was first identified -- said it would "temporarily" close its airport and railway stations for departing passengers. All public transport services will also be suspended, as authorities attempt to contain the virus.

SEE
Wuhan coronavirus death toll rises to 17 with 547 infected in China, sparking fears of wider spread - CNN

Hold long enough, when become millionaire/billionaires, move out of California to Texas/Wahsintong/Florida to sell the stock without paying state income tax. Or move to Puerto Rico to evade federal tax, lie down on the beach and sip some tesquilla
Where's this Wahsintong? Sounds interesting! Is that where Waller Feller is?

It does make a difference. You also can alter your status in a number of respects. In my decade living in CA I never approached the nominal rates. You really do need a sound tax strategy to live tex-efficiently in California. For that matter, in most places in the world. I have found the costs of a good tax attorney to have been very much a wise move.

If the stock hits $2,000 this year I may be hitting you up for a recommendation on such an attorney...

The virus thing will quickly pass.

This is how SARS in Hong Kong peaked:

hklog.gif

So about ~3 months until it was clear infections are shrinking, and ~4-5 months until it was over.

Much depends on whether they manage to quarantine the virus - the Chinese New Year when everyone travels home comes at the worst moment.

Let's hope for the best.