Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, a bolt of lightning carries about 1 Billion joules of energy, or about 278 Kwh. Given the average chargning efficiency of 80%, that bolt could recharge a 200 KWh Roadster pack in about 30 microseconds.

Problem is, then you'd have to call it the 'Roaster'. :p
I know for a FACT that a bolt of lightning is at LEAST 1.21 gigawatts...

With the US tax credit stepping down another $1875 at the end of the month, do we think Tesla will have to discount Model 3 starting July 1st to offset?

This is only a few weeks away. Elon's demand statement today makes me think Tesla shouldn't have to offset the step down much (or at all).

I know for a FACT that a bolt of lightning is at LEAST 1.21 gigawatts...
Lol, so yer sayin' 1 billion joules in 30 microseconds isn't 1.21 GW?? :p

A stroke of lightning peaks at around 1 terawatt (1,000 GW)

Yeah, I think we'd best take Dr Emmett Brown's sage advice:

"[Power electronics] is just too dangerous. Better that I devote myself to study the other great mystery of the universe: women!"

Cheers!

Can Tesla use the Maxwell acquisition as a launching point to set up their own battery cell production lines? They obviously would gain the engineering talent with the acquisition.

Seems like Panasonic is a huge bottleneck for even for Model Y. Panasonic appears to need a longer period of time to ramp than even Tesla.

I guess this is the big mystery for Battery Day.
Panasonic's bottleneck is availability of labor in Sparks, NV. This has lead to whole lines being idled for a shift due to insufficient workers on site. Further, excessive overtime is causing employee fatigue and burn-out.

Telsa's advantage in this respect is its automation expertise. We've already heard that Tesla had a hiring freeze at GF1 after the Grohmann SR pack machine came online, while Panasonic can't hire enough skilled people to support the battery cell lines that already exist.

If Tesla can automate cell production in a meaningful way that reduces labor requirements, it opens the floodgates to reliable production, with further expansion of additional lines all with reduced capex and lower labor requirements.

I say Tesla "has control of its own destiny".

Cheers!

Last edited:
Does anyone seriously think demand in China (and nearby locations) is going to be weak?

BTW., related macro news is that China is winning the Trump Trade War: their early 2019 stimulus is working and they are now healthily outgrowing the U.S.:

2-5.png

3-4.png

4-3.png

The Trump trade war is beneficial to China. This I believe explains why the trade talks broke down.

Trump has a lot more to lose by risking a U.S. recession next (election) year: he is fighting to stay out of jail for another four years. Democrats have recently leaked that impeachment is too soft of a punishment for the crimes of Trump, they want imprisonment. "Lock him up!" might become real.

The Shanghai Gigafactory couldn't have come at a better time.

This is another fallacy. Or rather, it's one way that advertising can work, but it's not the only way. Elon disliking sleazy/deceptive/appeal-solely-to-emotion ads that he sees for other brands does not imply that Tesla must follow that path.

Name a well-known product/company that advertises any other way. As in not in a deceptive way of any kind. Just tells the unabashed truth about their great product and great pricing. Take your time.

Of course Tesla can advertise in a way they feel is honest. It doesn’t for a second mean they’ll be believed.

For instance, raise your hand if you felt Tesla was being even a teeny, tiny bit sleazy with the way they listed the cost of their vehicles with potential cost savings pricing first and the actual purchase price today lower down the page.

BTW, I was fine with that because 1) I understood the reasons for doing it that way, though many people right off the bat jumped to a conclusion of them being purposely deceptive (Gee, I wonder why? Perhaps since nobody on the planet has ever seen a car advertised at the price they’ll be paying - there’s always additional charges and/or restrictions/eligibility nobody ever meets...) and 2) even if I believed they were purposely trying to deceive, I’ve been trained by advertisers since I saw my first Cocoa Puffs commercial to not believe what I hear/see at first glance but rather to listen closely and to read the fine print to find the truth.

Like cars salesmen are universally thought to be slimy, so is advertising because...it is.

Clean diesel? Athletes endorsing products like Coke/Pepsi/Poptarts/etc... A myriad of prepared frozen foods full of chemicals, a perfect afternoon snack for your kids, or for that busy Mom who doesn’t have time to cook? Designer clothing/shoe brands made in third world countries because labor is cheap? Ambulance chasers - Smith, Smith & Jones when you’ve been in an accident? The latest FDA approved drug with a list of 63 horrific side effects in small print at the bottom of your TV screen, while some baritone voice races through the list so fast you manage to only catch may cause heart attacks or projectile vomiting. Followed by that next commercial, ‘If you’ve been a victim of talcum powder poisoning call 1-888-HELPNOW.

Nobody who believes the FUD about Tesla right now is going to be convinced otherwise by some advertising no matter how honest it is. They just aren’t.

Correct information has to come from people the FUD believers know, trust and respect. Certainly having some informational webpages that one can link to with hard data can’t hurt.

Tesla has done those other things you mentioned but as you well know, understaffed, overworked and needing to stay within a tight budget all the while doing everything in their power to save us. Enough with requiring them to do even more. When they can, they will. When they need to, they will.

Indian red tape is … hmm ... flexible. Easiest would be to partner with someone local to make things happen faster - which Tesla may not want to do. But since this will be a high profile investment, a call to Modi will make things go real fast.

JFYI, paying unrealistically high "fees" to a local contractor to "smooth out" any "flexible" red tape is a felony under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act - and it's not a paper tiger: people are regularly going to jail for violating it.

What Tesla is doing in China is the right approach: buy-in from the highest levels of government, who made Gigafactory construction a high priority policy goal. If India's government is not willing then Tesla should wait.

What kind of improvement will they reveal for the powertrain that we don’t know of yet?
Lots of new tech still waiting to be integrated into existing products:
  • Model 3 AWD still uses an AC front motor
  • Model S/X use old-style onboard bty chargers
Also new tech waiting for roll-out:
  • 3-motor AWD architecture likely to be common core for:
    • Cyberpunk Truck
    • Roadster 2.0
    • Model S/X
  • Packs based on Maxcell-module 'bricks' likely:
    • 1000/600 kwh for Semi
    • 400/200 kwh for truck
    • 200 kwh for Roadster
    • 150 kwh for S/X
So, always diggin' da moat at Tesla. Audi do dat? :D

Cheers!

I am trying. Starting with convincing people like you that Tesla can be better;). Being immune to criticism is not the way to go forward, no matter how hard you (think) you try. But feel free to continuously bash anyone who is not fanatical about Tesla. It's OK, we cannot all feel the same, and you are entitled to your own opinion.

I don’t need to be convinced of anything. I already own a Tesla with a second one on order. All in my circle are correctly educated about Tesla and their products. Yes, even about truths like timelines are almost always overly optimistic - no I can’t demonstrate Advanced Summons for you yet. No, I don’t know when. Yes, it’s behind the announced schedule.

Tesla is always trying to be and do better. That’s been quite obvious from day one. Therefore, there’s zero reason for me to openly or publicly criticize the only company and group of people of this size, ability and fortitude I feel are pulling more than their weight attempting to solve this predicament we’ve gotten ourselves into.

I’ve heard your reason for criticism before. I’m not buying that advert. People who want to help someone or some entity via constructive criticism do it privately and directly. That Elon and Tesla are always publicly gracious and take responsibility for their mistakes is a testament to their character not the character of the criticizer.

Why else would the pharmaceutical industry advertise prescription Drugs that no patent would ever “ask for”?

Because money to pay for the class action lawsuits that follows 10 years later after birth defects are linked to it.

Seriously? You sure you want to use the pharmaceutical industry to make your point?

I don’t need to know there’s a new drug for my Turrets, my Doctor needs to know so he and I can have an informed discussion about whether or not we should give it a go.

We could do with a lot less over the counter medications and a lot more education on how to eat, exercise and just generally take better care of ourselves, but that topic isn’t for this forum.

JFYI, paying unrealistically high "fees" to a local contractor to "smooth out" any "flexible" red tape is a felony under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act - and it's not a paper tiger: people are regularly going to jail for violating it.

What Tesla is doing in China is the right approach: buy-in from the highest levels of government, who made Gigafactory construction a high priority policy goal. If India's government is not willing then Tesla should wait.

To be fair, the union transport minister offered to give support if Tesla chooses to manufacture locally. Tesla chose China over India for obvious reasons.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I noticed neroden disagreed with you.

I love all the Johnny-come-lately's that could have done it better. In one corner we have Tesla, led by Elon Musk, CEO extraordinaire of the company that successfully commercialized the modern electric car, rising up from an unknown to sell electric cars like the Model 3 that is currently grossing more $$ than any other car in North America, even popular mainstream cars like the Honda Accord and Toyota Avalon. In his role as CEO/founder of another amazing company, SpaceX, he has demonstrated mastery of self-landing booster rockets that can be re-used multiple times instead of sinking to the bottom of the ocean floor.

In the other corner we have neoroden, Tesla shareholder extraordinaire, who is (self-admittedly) the brightest bulb in the room and can out-perform the current CEO of Tesla. He has no track record of leading such a massive undertaking but his robust level of self-confidence more than makes up for his lack of a track record. He has the business acumen to take a successful company and make it even more successful than anyone could conceive of. It's all due to his superior intellect and judgment. He's not the next Elon Musk, he's superior!

Yes, he sometimes disagrees with me and I sometimes with him. Statistically we agree with each other more than we disagree.

I’m getting pretty good at predicting when one of his disagrees will show up. He’s probably getting equally as good at predicting mine.

We at least have a good understanding of which topics we should avoid discussing at the dinner table to ensure neither one of us leaves wearing more food than we ate.

Too bad, Tesla's strategy the whole time has been to sell expensive cars and work their way down. As of now, they can't make cheaper cars. They can't keep up with the demand for the higher priced ones. It's a business too.

Elon said that ~40% of new owners are trading up from Camrys / Accords / Priuses. These aren't rich people. They're smart people who see the long term cost benefit of EVs.

Correction: 63% are coming from that group. SIXTY-THREE!

I realize this is probably a futile attempt, but for the love of God, please don't interpret too much into Elon's comments.

When he says GF1 is huge and is growing, that's no different from what they have been saying for years. We all know it's only 1/3 complete and they will have to expand for additional battery capacity and vehicle manufacturing. But let's not take it as "it will be 100% complete in 2 months, he just announced!!!"

When he says we will soon reach the 400 mile range threshold what he is saying is that they've just upgraded to 370 and 400 is really in spitting distance now. Yes, if we do get that rumored big refresh we may go above 400 next quarter, and yes, Maxwell will further increase range next year or so, but please don't take it as "tesla.com will be showing a 400 mile option this week!!!"

Etc. Etc.

What I did find interesting though, were his Maxwell comments. The way I read those, is that we have been interpreting the significance of those technologies correctly and it will indeed boost production capacity (lack of huge battety drying machines) among other things.

I also think that reconfirming record deliveries in reach (but not certain!) So close to the end of the Q is a very good sign. However his comments on profitability vs profit should cool expectations on getting back to black. Break even would be nice though.