Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Advertising is more than just getting X number of units sold.

It is also ASP and product mix. Among others. :rolleyes:

Toyota is a perfect fit for you. :rolleyes:

fwiw,

Toyota

To respond with a sense of speed to the diversifying needs of these markets and to multiple challenges, both Subaru and Toyota believe that it is necessary to pursue a business model that goes beyond convention, crossing over industrial boundaries together with various types of other entities that share their aspirations. As a first step in this direction, while accelerating productization by bringing together technologies that represent each company’s strengths and cooperating where possible, the two companies will jointly develop a BEV-dedicated platform. The platform will be developed in a way that will make it broadly applicable to multiple vehicle types, including C-segment-class and D-segment-class sedans and SUVs, as well as to efficient development of derivative vehicle models.”

Tesla

“Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

LOL. Niedermeyer actually ran a website called "Tesla death watch" for years. He is as far as you can get from solid/honest in terms of writers.

BTW, what do you mean "LL is hardcore leftist" and what has that got to do with Tesla ? .

Sorry about the delayed response.
Thx for the response.

I think Niedermeyer is honest,
not necessarily correct.

Clearly Not the go to guy for future predictions.
Heh

Hardcore leftist.
ideological bias
Capitalism, rich white males are the problem, the enemy
No facts, nothing that happens
will change the way it is perceived

If the outcome changes
it will be will explained away
but the basic assumptions remain

It renders the reporting unreliable.
In my view,
some of the hardest hits have come from
the ideological establishment left

The Reveal hits,from NPR, Stanford and Cambridge
TSLAs battles with the state of CA.
MSM is overwhelmingly leftist.
CNBC
The "battle lines' have blurred.
Elon has a lot of fans that would surprise the folks here.
And him too, i think

American hero, making great cars.
Fighting against all odds.
Great story.

Exactly how is there none of the downside?

If the stock were to move laterally for 6 months and then scream up later in 2020, You would be far behind using margin to buy shares.

How so?

When you buy very deep-in-the-money (DITM) call options, you pay very little premium over the current stock price. The way to use options instead of margined stock is rolling it over every year or two into DITM calls dated a year or 2 further out. Yes a tiny premium you pay for these calls, but then you aren’t paying any margin interest costs. Of course you also have the advantage of not being at the whims of your broker changing the margin requirements on you as they see fit. And another obvious advantage with calls is that you can only ever lose the money you initially paid for the calls, with no risk of any additional losses beyond that.

Another big benefit from using DITM calls, is that in the event of a big downwards move in the stock price, the call value will not fall as far as the margined stock value. As the stock price falls closer to the call strike price, the call starts to gain a larger & larger premium value as it nears at-the-money price.

As an example if you have a $100 Jan 2020 call, and tomorrow for some inexplicable reason TSLA drops $100 in value. The call price will not drop by the same $100 amount, instead it will drop by something closer to ~$70. Meanwhile if you instead had shares bought on margin, they would of course fall by $100 in value.

In the reverse situation, if the stock price instead increased by $100 tomorrow - the $100 call will appreciate in value by essentially the same amount, maybe a dollar or so less perhaps.

So there you have: less of the downside, and the same upside as margined stock.

—- NOT INVESTMENT ADVICE / do your own due diligence etc —-

Last edited:
Nope, Ferraris are considered handcrafted art. It appreciates and sold as such. The Swiss are still selling limited edition Pateks for 400-2 million each.

Remember Ferraris are not even the fastest cars. It is perhaps the best crafted hand built sport cars next to Zondas. The new NSX or GTRs I believe are faster than a Ferrari in most ways but doesn't carry the collectors pedigree at all.
But Roadsters with spacex package, presumably some sort of air rocket(s) would definitely put it over the edge in appeal to any legacy exotic. Since now, there will definitely be an audio component to the roadster as well as obvious performance advantage.

Nope, Ferraris are considered handcrafted art.

Which brings me back to my
Why No Custom shop? rant.

As motivation, great employees get to go to the custom shop
There is a lot of car guy talent in Cali
people would flock there to be a part of it.

Build Roadsters, one a week, one every two weeks, one a month
Whatever. just Build Them.

Early ones could be Raw F40 style
later ones could have things like, door handles.
Or crazy order, special order custom
Then i swear, auction them on ebay
How much would people pay?

Outrun Anything.

I would love it just to see the Italians in a
panic the way the Germans are now.

Vids of the guy in the ferrari refusing to look over at you at the stop light...
/R

Reactions: Drax7
Check out the price action right now!
That $196.59 you saw at 5:30 EDT was = to Wed's closing price. It's prolly some MMs closing some trades made yesterday that didn't execute properly.

A/Hrs price returned to normal within minutes, and 'per-minute' VWAP reported by NASDAQ didn't move more than 50 cents through-out. Max vol 1,750 shares/min. :p

Cheers!

• Helpful
Reactions: Dig deeper
Re: Twitter tactics: Careful.

Given the significant overlap between $TSLAQ and alt-right, there's a long-standing pattern with Twitter moderation that I've seen in action.

Essentially, trolls (or their bots) will threaten someone. Report them, and Twitter will "investigate" and often do nothing (because so much of their moderation is actually automated, reports are often not actually read). Say so much as a swear word back at the trolls, and you'll get mass reported by the bots, and auto-banned based on the report volume plus a keyword being present.

It's something that the alt-right (originally as GamerGate) has been doing to leftists, women, and queer people on Twitter for years now, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the tactics applied to TSLA investors, too.

this is true -- it's happened to me. the alt-right has weaponized Twitter moderation and you will get mass-reported, moderated, and punished for the slightest offense once their bot network identifies you as a liberal.

Nope, Ferraris are considered handcrafted art. It appreciates and sold as such. The Swiss are still selling limited edition Pateks for 400-2 million each.

Remember Ferraris are not even the fastest cars. It is perhaps the best crafted hand built sport cars next to Zondas. The new NSX or GTRs I believe are faster than a Ferrari in most ways but doesn't carry the collectors pedigree at all.

Ferraris are great for cars and coffee on Saturday morning, where they can be parked and admired. You really don’t want to drive them and put miles on.

Last edited by a moderator:
But Roadsters with spacex package, presumably some sort of air rocket(s) would definitely put it over the edge in appeal to any legacy exotic. Since now, there will definitely be an audio component to the roadster as well as obvious performance advantage.
Hah! That's NOTHING! Wait until the SpaceX-edition SEMI beats this jet truck:

I hope they get Marty McFly to pilot the truck, with Doc Brown as his Crew Chief! :D

Cheers!

Re: Twitter tactics: Careful.

Given the significant overlap between $TSLAQ and alt-right, there's a long-standing pattern with Twitter moderation that I've seen in action.

Essentially, trolls (or their bots) will threaten someone. Report them, and Twitter will "investigate" and often do nothing (because so much of their moderation is actually automated, reports are often not actually read). Say so much as a swear word back at the trolls, and you'll get mass reported by the bots, and auto-banned based on the report volume plus a keyword being present.

It's something that the alt-right (originally as GamerGate) has been doing to leftists, women, and queer people on Twitter for years now, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the tactics applied to TSLA investors, too.
That is why we need to fight as a community - not as individuals.

Sorry about the delayed response.
Thx for the response.

I think Niedermeyer is honest,
not necessarily correct.

Clearly Not the go to guy for future predictions.
Heh

Hardcore leftist.
ideological bias
Capitalism, rich white males are the problem, the enemy
No facts, nothing that happens
will change the way it is perceived

If the outcome changes
it will be will explained away
but the basic assumptions remain

It renders the reporting unreliable.
In my view,
some of the hardest hits have come from
the ideological establishment left

The Reveal hits,from NPR, Stanford and Cambridge
TSLAs battles with the state of CA.
MSM is overwhelmingly leftist.
CNBC
The "battle lines' have blurred.
Elon has a lot of fans that would surprise the folks here.
And him too, i think

American hero, making great cars.
Fighting against all odds.
Great story.
I think you are bringing your political bias to the discussion. Afterall most of TSLAQ is alt-right.

BTW, what you call "leftist" are actually neoliberal. You have a very arcane idea about "leftists". I suggest we take up this discussion in the political thread, not here.

And that's best selling, not most wanted, and without a dealer network or advertising.

I know we all know this... but you have to keep saying it. #9 best selling period, with no promotion. #2 best selling in California, with no promotion.

OK, also look at the growth, and look who is falling. You can see who's lunch is being eaten. Honda, Hyundai, Toyota (Camry aside, 90% of those are Uber drivers borrowing against their pensions).
This is a little misleading because it's cars only.

fwiw,

Toyota

To respond with a sense of speed to the diversifying needs of these markets and to multiple challenges, both Subaru and Toyota believe that it is necessary to pursue a business model that goes beyond convention, crossing over industrial boundaries together with various types of other entities that share their aspirations. As a first step in this direction, while accelerating productization by bringing together technologies that represent each company’s strengths and cooperating where possible, the two companies will jointly develop a BEV-dedicated platform. The platform will be developed in a way that will make it broadly applicable to multiple vehicle types, including C-segment-class and D-segment-class sedans and SUVs, as well as to efficient development of derivative vehicle models.”

Tesla

“Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.”
Toyota's press release says:
  • The two companies will apply Subaru's all-wheel-drive technologies and Toyota's vehicle electrification technologies.
I wonder how applicable Subaru's AWD technology is to EV's.

Anyone see risk in China doing a reverse Huawei while defending NIO? Tesla wouldn't be the anti-Trump voters that China targets in trade wars, but it's still war which does get crazy. I'm betting this will blow over in a pseudo China trade agreement by year's end with all things claimed but nothing accomplished.

Just saying, anyone see exposure to this risk, or is everyone of the opinion that China auto tariffs hurt Tesla less than ICE?
Unlike US government, Chinese government is very good at targeting industries that hurt POTUS politically. Actually, all foreign governments seem to be good at very targeted retaliatory actions.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and UncaNed