Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty sure that is in fact for Type 2 CCS (mostly Europe, some other places). But it's existence does make a Type 1 CCS for North America happening eventually at least plausible. Many stated over and over that it couldn't be done due to rules set for by the CCS organization, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm hopeful we see one eventually, though perceptually a CHAdeMO adapter is more important to have now than a CCS adapter for North America I expect that will change over time.
Please note that the charge port design of the Model 3 is different in Europe: the European Model 3 can’t supercharge via the upper part of the CCS port (the type 2 part), and all European superchargers have been updated to dual type2/ccs connectors. It is very well possible that this would require a very different CCS adapter implementation in Europe versus USA. So I wouldn’t assume that the existence of a European CCS adapter implies plausibility for a USA CCS adapter.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Regarding frustrations expressed on forums
Recall that when M3 hit in the USA?
Folks were giddily grabbing the $70k hot rod

Forums were flooded with the frustrated 200 or so thousand
that had spent years anxiously awaiting the 35k impossible dream

For people stretching to 35K, and
hoping for a crazy low $27.5 price with the credit,
it had to feel like getting up Christmas morning
and there is a note under the tree
"will be back later"

"Have a cookie"
Something they almost had, but couldn't reach.
It follows that these would be the most frustrated, emotional posts.
The same thing is likely happening on the CH based forums now.

Germany will not disqualify Tesla because it is an American for the same reason the US didn't disqualify BMW,MB, and VW Group from the $7500 Federal Credit.

The US would immediately enter a complaint with the WTO and win. And install maximum retaliatory tariffs.

The trickier one would be if,as VW proposes, they limited subsidy to cars 4650mm in length. Which would barely qualify ID.3 and exclude Model 3. Might win that one at European Court too. As of now don't see this in the extension.

Then the US can disqualify anything below 4651mm in length. Two can play that game.

So $47000 for China? Well not sure that’s going to boost any numbers

Before a lot of people were delaying ordering of US made Model 3 waiting to see what the deal for Chinese Model 3 was gonna be like. Now they have clarity and can make a decision. Some of these will decide that they would rather buy the US made Model 3 boosting the number of those orders.

Chinese people who likes Tesla because it's unlike other brands(has big price gap between foreign market and Chinese market)
now they learned that tesla is no different than others
I'm just state the feeling of how Chinese people feel , here is the link for the m3 forum if you can read Chinese
【图】Model 3论坛_Model 3车友会_汽车之家
I hope this price would works probably more than most people here, but by what I know so far people are not happy.
I'm supper long on tsla. l have few thousands tsla shares, and keeping adding shares recently. I'm hope and believe tesla will be succeed, but we have to admit that the constant price change and the higher m3 price in china is not good for tesla.

Those who are upset were hoping to be in a Tesla Model 3 for a cheaper price, but unfortunately, Tesla needs to make a profit. Building up that GF3 isn’t cheap. The Chinese are very intelligent people when it comes to business, they’ll understand the dilemma, Tesla should work hard to educate people about Tesla pricing. I’m the end, the Model 3 is still better than its rivals, I’m sure people will purchase the 3. Plus VAT isn’t cheap.

We *do not* want to alarm anyone, but Model 3 is now available to order in Australia, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Ireland and Macau at Electric Cars, Solar Panels & Clean Energy Storage | Tesla.

You know what to do: Design Your Model 3 | Tesla

Tesla on Twitter
Elon must be really desperate with no demand to open up sales to all those locations but it won't be any use because electric sales are so low anyways and competition is coming.
More demand levers and pumping schemes!

/s

China registration site is still running slow.. kinda odd given the simplicity of the page.

Elon must be really desperate with no demand to open up sales to all those locations but it won't be any use because electric sales are so low anyways and competition is coming.
More demand levers and pumping schemes!

/s

It’s obvious Tesla is doing this just to increase sales. So pathetic. They claim they are supply limited but then why do they keep taking orders for cars if they have no supply? Makes no sense. I think they keep blowing up cars with fires and running them into trucks on autopilot just so people have to use insurance to buy new ones. Obvious fraud ponzi insurance scheme. Elizabeth Holmes has nothing on this fraud boy. The car is ugly too and no good on any real track.... plus I ordered mine like 3 weeks ago and it’s still not here so they can’t even do that right.

I noticed that Troy increased his Q2 total deliveries estimate to 76k from 74k, but he is still much lower than 90k. I know he has missed on some of his estimates, but he has been pretty close in general. I sure hope he is way off this time. The market won't be impressed with deliveries under 80k, particularly with current guidance of 90-100k. Tesla really needs to regain some credibility with respect to guidance. Anything under 90k will obviously be framed as a miss by analysts/media, but IMO if it's a small miss it can be a win. Missing guidance by over 10% would reinforce the disconnect between guidance and execution.

Troy Teslike (@TroyTeslike) | Twitter

He says he’ll update it in June as more deliveries are accounted for.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Can you or anyone fill me in on what she tweeted? Thanks.

It was like a ditsy party girl going on about smoking weed on the job at Fremont and long shifts and no toilet paper and begging for follows. Almost certainly a troll except there was a pretty convincing photo of an employee badge which I bet was discovered in a dumpster or stolen etc.

Come the end of July at the Q3 earnings report Tesla should be able to accurately give guidance not only to Q3 revenue and cash flow, but also the amount of revenue and cash flow which will be generated in a quarter with full 3k GF3 production (most likely Q2, give or take a quarter).

If Tesla gives that kind of specific guidance, and is able to also say that (1) 7k sustainable M3 production has been achieved and (2) demand is strong, then the near term success of Tesla will be clear to all except the irretrievably brainwashed. And it really shouldn’t matter to the near term SP whether GF3 first reaches full production in Q1, Q2 or Q3. Or whether Q2 deliveries are more or less than 90k.

The market looks forward. Guidance is the key. I’m feeling reasonably optimistic that Tesla will be in the best position ever in July to give very substantive and positive guidance.

Top%2BModels.PNG

Top%2BBrands.PNG

EV Sales: Global Top 20 - April 2019

They claim they are supply limited but then why do they keep taking orders for cars if they have no supply? Makes no sense.

It's not a mystery, Tesla is cell supply limited, but:
  • New car demand of any car manufacturer is geographically diverse and noisy at the end of the quarter, and there can be always be over or under-supply of units in a geographical region, especially if the end of quarter is within ~30 days, which is shorter than what it takes to build and ship cars to customers in China. If Tesla is shipping cars to the wrong place they can end up in inventory beyond the end of quarter, fueling 'unable to sell' FUD.
  • There's absolutely no reason to lose sales to a hypothetical, non-existent $29,999 Chinese Model 3 being rumored on Chinese social media by trolls for months. By bringing pricing, feature-set, timing and availability clarity, by announcing that it's going to cost $47,000 in 6-10 months and opening up the configurator they are making it easier for Chinese customers to plan (or execute) their next Tesla purchase. "I'll pay $5-$10k more for a car made in the U.S.A. and available right now" is a valid consumer decision, but it requires the knowledge of the price of the Shanghai made Model 3 to make that decision ... This is a common-sense business practice to close current sales and to lock in future sales.
  • The new China prices are largely Trump-tariff invariant, so Chinese customers who cannot immediately purchase a car from inventory and who are worried about extra tariffs increasing ASP by 20-40% overnight can order a Shanghai-made Model 3.
  • But even for customers where neither of these factors plays a major role it's good for Tesla to up-sell customers to higher spec cars, because they generate more revenue and more margin.
So yes, managing demand makes a lot of sense even if you are supply limited, and these reasons were outlined here on TMC in detail before Tesla made the announcement yesterday.

Last edited: