Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not exactly. There is still a different registration process, and some states still can't have service centres. What they did was make the appearance less different between the can and cannot states, because now, almost everywhere you order online. Except for the stores that remain where you can order in the store.

Can Tesla provide mobile service in the states that don't allow service centers?

I've never been bothered that my 2015 Model S got me a fraction of what I'd get at the same price today. However, I am a little annoyed that the Xmas gift Model 3 I purchased for my dad is now worth substantially less. As an investor, I like this move. Where I am puzzled is what happens to Tesla owners that paid 5k for EAP which now costs 3k. Do we at least have the option to upgrade to FSD for 3k instead of 5k? I believe someone posted that the new 3k package has a different feature set than the 5k version was meant to. It'll be interested to see how this plays out.

If you paid the $5k, you get to keep NoA, Summon and Autopark. Those are now FSD features for new buyers.

Where I am puzzled is what happens to Tesla owners that paid 5k for EAP which now costs 3k.

Elon just confirmed on Twitter that you are going to have a more capable EAP that is better than the $3k AP: NoA, summon, autopark all available while regular $3k AP won't have it.

This should also help resale value.

Price decreases are a shot across the bow of Audi, Porsche and others coming on stream with new product offerings.

Tesla has just made it much more difficult for them to take share/earn profit on their new releases.

And if Tesla is successful in selling cars exclusively online... it makes the dealership model that more expensive. Hard to compete as a legacy automaker.

The today news are much bigger than people are able to comprehend as of now.

It will take a couple of days and likely weeks for the market to realize as well. All of a sudden there is a huge amount of variants with different price points people can choose from. With that an exponential demand level is opened and that is almost unlimited as Elon said in the ER call. We are now in the +500k p.a. unit range and this just for the markets Tesla delivers to today. With other markets I see +800 in sight.

The demand question is over.

On top and from most overlooked but very important the cost reduction with closing stores and going online is quite significant.

But the really brillant move is indeed to make the 3 refundable within 7 days and 1k miles. Everybody driving it once will rather give his grandma back but not the 3. Its just that much joy you gonna miss and after a week most people emotionally won't be capable to return it even if they should.

Today is an important day for Tesla as a company as well as all us investors. That day will not be forgotten and its no overstatement to call it history in the endeavor to transform transportation to sustainability.

Tesla just moved from a premium and luxury manufacturer into a mass producer and mark my words Teslas EVs will get even lower in price from here.
Hi, guys.

(For the moment, feel free to stare at my signature again. Later.)

As annoying as it's going to be for the next couple of months with the media claiming that there's no demand every time Tesla lowers their price..……….now that we finally have arrived to the 35k model there shouldn't be anymore price drops for a very long time. So tired of that narrative.

It is pretty disappointing to hear Musk say Tesla definitely won't be profitable in Q1 and only likely profitable in Q2. Only 4-5 months ago on the Q3 earnings, Musk was so confident that every quarter going forward was going to be profitable. It's pretty hard for me to understand how Q2 will not 100% be a profitable quarter.

Also, Musk might be waiting until Q1 earnings to talk about 35k Model 3 margin but sure would have been nice to hear him say they're at least break even right now
I interpret this as Elon seeing an earlier path to support the mission (wide avail. of all trims) instead of the short-term stock price. Margins will all gradually creep back up starting in Q2...

There is a significant psychological effect at play here - I firmly believe that people are more likely to reach for a slightly upgraded product over a base product if they can afford the base product, even if they wouldn't have seen the upgraded product as affordable if it were the base product.

I'm glad expectations are continuing to be managed with regard to profitability. I'll hold out hope for a surprise upside, though.
Several people are worried about this for Q1.... But I think you are correct this was "... continuing...managed...expectations "

Reactions: wipster and Khamul
Meanwhile on my yahoo finance app:
A64F4EF2-6011-4DA3-84E0-35863E28ACC2.jpeg

So 3k + 5k = 7k

Seems the whole new trims and pricing structure made someone’s head spinning too fast.

Also, does anyone else think its incongruent that the P3D now has the highest top speed of any Tesla? I mean, I agree they shouldnt limit the vehicle just for the sake of doing so. Also, I've never taken my MS over 125 (hypothetically), but still.
I am sticking to my theory that they will upgrade the S and X in April.

Elon has now completed the switch over to lowering expectations, under-promising and over-delivering:
  • SR was tentatively promised for late summer (Q2), available now instead
  • FSD was promised for later this year, available now, with 3 big pieces of functionality, which effectively increases the old EAP equivalent feature set price to $8k.
  • Standard Interior is a lot more luxurious than originally promised - and yet they kept the $35k base price.
I'd expect this to continue in 2019.