Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amazon has been working on their own shipping fleet and is currently using third party delivery drivers. The Rivian full frame chassis could support a delivery box-truck style body.
Not sure it makes much sense from this perspective. They would be better off just buying EV delivery vans from any vendor. The last thing you want to do is to bank on a new auto maker for your critical infrastructure.

Reactions: j6Lpi429@3j
Not sure it makes much sense from this perspective. They would be better off just buying EV delivery vans from any vendor. The last thing you want to do is to bank on a new auto maker for your critical infrastructure.

What vendor has an EV van in the cargo size and quantity Amazon would be looking for? As long as the tech is viable, Amazon could buy the entire company and take it internal (like the Kiva warehouse robots).
They already have delivery systems in place, so it is not critical. However, going electric would be a cost saving for a fleet. By buying into the company, Amazon gets to set design characteristics in their favor, direct support from engineering, and purchase units at a lower cost.

This is interesting.

The business case for an electric pickup or SUV could be stronger than one for a sedan, given how much money companies have had to sink into electric batteries and motors and how difficult it has been for companies to make money on electric cars.

Which companies sank money into "batteries" ? Motors are hardly that expensive …

Ofcourse, making new cars is expensive. Batteries are expensive and bulky - so it makes sense to start with more expensive SUVs, except the CW has been to try to make cars with good aero to keep the batteries smaller. Cars like i3, Kia Soul EV and Bolt - get worst of both world by being small but with bad aero.

Reactions: transpondster
Something I don't understand about Rivian. Their entry-level truck with a 105kWh battery pack and 4 motors starts at $69,000. That price does not seem to be realistic. They plan to sell their higher-end truck with a 180kWh battery pack first. I wonder how many people will buy a truck that is going to be at least $100k.

In all fairness a lot of folks think the same about a $35k Model 3 (including right now Tesla that indicates that further cost reductions are needed before they can sell that car - they will get there, but when it was announced, it was not feasible...)

What vendor has an EV van in the cargo size and quantity Amazon would be looking for? As long as the tech is viable, Amazon could buy the entire company and take it internal (like the Kiva warehouse robots).
They already have delivery systems in place, so it is not critical. However, going electric would be a cost saving for a fleet. By buying into the company, Amazon gets to set design characteristics in their favor, direct support from engineering, and purchase units at a lower cost.

Streetscooter. Home | StreetScooter GmbH E-Nutzfahrzeuge Elektroauto Elektro Transporter Lastwagen
(EDIT: the company was created, when German Postal Services Deutsche Post didn't find a suitable EV in the market place, now they have their own line-up, start to sell to 3rd parties and are the biggest EV maker in Europe in their class of vehicles with some +20k / annum vehicle volume).

Vincent‏ @vincent13031925
The first batch @Tesla Model 3 (with MX & MS) in Tianjin port of China
1f1e8-1f1f3.png
Congratulation to Model 3 owners in China
1f389.png
1f389.png
Delivery should start really soon for you guys! 恭喜恭喜! $TSLA #Tesla #Model3 #China #TeslaChina #特斯拉

DzdT3evU8AA4C93.jpg

7:53 AM - 15 Feb 2019
Vincent on Twitter

This is interesting.

Which companies sank money into "batteries" ? Motors are hardly that expensive …

Ofcourse, making new cars is expensive. Batteries are expensive and bulky - so it makes sense to start with more expensive SUVs, except the CW has been to try to make cars with good aero to keep the batteries smaller. Cars like i3, Kia Soul EV and Bolt - get worst of both world by being small but with bad aero.

Motors themselves are not that expensive, but the whole EV powertrain excluding battery pack and cells adds up to c.$4.5k in a Model 3. I expect the capex for this is not immaterial. Its also worth noting a more efficient powertrain can significantly reduce the battery size needed for a given range, so investment in better motors can lead to huge savings on battery costs.

16x greater electrode production density, sure. But that doesn't apply to all parts of the production process.

The way I understood it was that dry electrodes save 16x space because the drying step (i.e. conditioned storage space for god knows how many batteries they produce during the drying tume) is not needed anymore. That may be a significant part of the footprint of the gigafactory.