Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Time - NOT!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PureAmps

Model S P85 (#2817)
Oct 22, 2012
SF Bay Area
So I've been reading on the forums about "Telsa Time" and wondering if it was real phenomenon. Now that I have my car, I am all geared up to be an EV evangelist. Just waiting for the right opportunity...

So yesterday, a new neighbor of mine, who just moved in this week, drove his car by slowly as I was taking some pictures of my new car in the driveway. He returned a couple of minutes later also driving slowly, seeming to check out the car. He then ran in his house to get something quickly and then drove by slowly again and stopped. He rolled his window down. I looked over at him, beaming with pride at my new beauty. The words were almost on my lips "Why yes, it's a Tesla Model S!", just waiting for the question. But then he opened his mouth and asked, "Excuse me, can you tell me when the trash gets picked up in this neighborhood?". I stared at him completely puzzled by his question, and then meekly answered, "They pick it up early Monday morning, it's best to put it out Sunday night." He replied "Thank you" and drove off. I sighed, shook my head, and returned to admiring my precious...

Anyone else had Tesla Time that wasn't?

Sounds like something my dad would do. He's absolutely NOT interested in cars whatsoever. He could barely recognize the color of a car. So it doesn't surprise me.
...or maybe your neighbor just didn't want to let you start your "Tesla Time" conversation on purpose..?

So I've been reading on the forums about "Telsa Time" and wondering if it was real phenomenon. Now that I have my car, I am all geared up to be an EV evangelist. Just waiting for the right opportunity...

So yesterday, a new neighbor of mine, who just moved in this week, drove his car by slowly as I was taking some pictures of my new car in the driveway. He returned a couple of minutes later also driving slowly, seeming to check out the car. He then ran in his house to get something quickly and then drove by slowly again and stopped. He rolled his window down. I looked over at him, beaming with pride at my new beauty. The words were almost on my lips "Why yes, it's a Tesla Model S!", just waiting for the question. But then he opened his mouth and asked, "Excuse me, can you tell me when the trash gets picked up in this neighborhood?". I stared at him completely puzzled by his question, and then meekly answered, "They pick it up early Monday morning, it's best to put it out Sunday night." He replied "Thank you" and drove off. I sighed, shook my head, and returned to admiring my precious...

Anyone else had Tesla Time that wasn't?

I think that your neighbor was admiring your Model S and was envious. The trash was only a pretext.

Last edited:
It's always fun to park your car where you can see it from in a restaurant and watch people walk by, stop, circle, then take out the phone to take a quick pic.

Totally agree. I had my first experience with this last night. I went to a really nice restaurant on South Beach (Prime 112) and was fortunate enough to eat outside with a perfect view of my car (which the valets put right in front of the restaurant -- they said it was their first S, which I actually found surprising). I loved watching people walk by, look at the car, try to look inside (tinted windows + nighttime made it a fruitless effort), take pictures and generally make admiring faces as they walked by, and then they'd ignore the Rolls Royce and Bentley parked right in front of my car as they continued walking. It was really neat to see all of the interest in the car without the hesitance people sometimes have to bother me when I'm with my car.

I get that feeling a lot non Tesla. For example i'm cruising along the freeway and another car pulls next to me and matches speed. I look over and am surprised they are NOT looking at my car! Oh yeah, I'm in the Prius.

PA - You don't think he was referring to your Model S as trash, do you. The nerve...

Sounds like something my dad would do. He's absolutely NOT interested in cars whatsoever. He could barely recognize the color of a car. So it doesn't surprise me.
...or maybe your neighbor just didn't want to let you start your "Tesla Time" conversation on purpose..?

I think he barely noticed the car.

My posting was meant to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek. A lot of my time and energy for the past few weeks have been focused on delivery of the car, so naturally I expect everyone else to share my passion. ;) I did have a good chuckle at myself when he drove off without even mentioning the car.

a new neighbor of mine drove his car by slowly as I was taking some pictures of my new car in the driveway. He returned a couple of minutes later also driving slowly

Perhaps he kept slowly driving by hoping you'd take pictures of his immaculate Yugo? He probably returned home to tell him wife how frustrated he was that you didn't seem interested in taking photos of "Hugo". (seems like the obvious name for a Yugo) :smile: