Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sued under Wisconsin Lemon Law

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has posted an official blog entry with their side of the Lemon story:

When Life Gives You Lemons... | Blog | Tesla Motors

I've gotta post this again:
jlYxh.gif

From the blog entry. Ouch.

Another issue was that the car's fuse blew on three occasions. Each time, our engineers explored all possible explanations and were never able to find anything wrong with the car. Still, just to be sure, we replaced several parts that could have been related to the alleged problem – all at no expense to the customer. When the fuse kept blowing despite the new parts, and faced with no diagnosis showing anything wrong with the car, the engineers were moved to consider the possibility that the fuse had been tampered with. After investigating, they determined that the car's front trunk had been opened immediately before the fuse failure on each of the three occasions. (The fuse is accessed through the front trunk.) Ultimately, Tesla service applied non-tamper tape to the fuse switch. From that point on, the fuse performed flawlessly.

It's also of interest to note that this particular lawyer filed a lemon law suit against Volvo in February last year – on behalf of the very same client.

Another issue was that the car's fuse blew on three occasions. Each time, our engineers explored all possible explanations and were never able to find anything wrong with the car. Still, just to be sure, we replaced several parts that could have been related to the alleged problem – all at no expense to the customer. When the fuse kept blowing despite the new parts, and faced with no diagnosis showing anything wrong with the car, the engineers were moved to consider the possibility that the fuse had been tampered with. After investigating, they determined that the car's front trunk had been opened immediately before the fuse failure on each of the three occasions. (The fuse is accessed through the front trunk.) Ultimately, Tesla service applied non-tamper tape to the fuse switch. From that point on, the fuse performed flawlessly.

It's also of interest to note that this particular lawyer filed a lemon law suit against Volvo in February last year – on behalf of the very same client.

Yep, certainly sounds like the owner was up to no good...

Excellent response from Tesla. If Vince Megna knew of any tampering either by himself or the owner, he should be disbarred. No ifs, ands, or buts. If it was the owner, I have a real difficulty understanding why a doctor would risk his reputation by being involved in something like this.

Any car company can put out a lemon, but receiving one seems like it would be a rare, perhaps once in a lifetime event. But getting two brand new cars in two years from reputable companies and having them both be 'lemons'? What are the odds?

Last edited:
I hate to give any credence whatsoever to this guy's claims, given that they're clearly ridiculous, but based on what I've seen of his issues I have a similar problem with my door handles. Tesla couldn't reproduce it at the SC and it's readily repeatable at my home, so they literally sent a team to my apartment to figure it out (which is amazing service in itself, to be honest). They believe it's caused by RF interference, and supposedly there was already a better-shielded Body Control Module under development that I'll get eventually to resolve it. I guess there were only a handful of us with issues, so it's low priority.

So despite having a similar issue, I've found Tesla Service to be stellar and my experience runs completely counter to his.

Given the tampering allegations, and the previous lawsuit, it seems like he was looking for things to go wrong, and when they didn't, decided to *make* them go wrong.

Last edited:

Yep, certainly sounds like the owner was up to no good...

LOL, the owner is as busted as Mr. Broder of the New York Times.

I don't know if the lawyer is to be implicated in this dishonesty, but in my experience about half of lawyers are lying pondscum.

Guys don't make this in to a witch hunt. Let it play out. They will settle out of court of course, we will never get to know neither the details of the deal (new car?) nor the truth of what really happened or not. At the end of the day what's important is perception and I believe Tesla's reply instills far greater confidence than Mr. D-bag lawyer's youtube clip.

So what if it's montgom on this forum who is the plaintif? Maybe he did get a lemon car... Twice... In one year. Or maybe he's just a lot more picky than most people, and easily annoyed and a bit quick on the trigger when it comes to suing? Or maybe just maybe he realized with his last case and mr. Magna as his lawyer that it's pretty easy to get a nice settlement even though the actual evidence might be thin.

It's my understanding as a European that the core principle of the US legal system is to find someone to sue who will likely pay you to back off instead of wasting even more money and possibly bad P.R. going to court?

Last edited:
Guys don't make this in to a witch hunt. Let it play out. They will settle out of court of course, we will never get to know neither the details of the deal (new car?) nor the truth of what really happened or not. At the end of the day what's important is perception and I believe Tesla's reply instills far greater confidence than Mr. D-bag lawyer's youtube clip.

I agree that we should not turn this into a witch hunt. That's why I didn't take as fact another post saying the plaintiff is someone here. Instead, I have asked him, point blank. If it's not him, then he can deny it and I will take him at his word. That will end it.

But I don't agree that we simply provide Robert Montgomery with a free pass, as you suggest. There are consequences to one's actions. I believe in personal responsibility and accountability. Robert Montgomery has sued Tesla, and Tesla has made some serious allegations about the merits of his claims, including pointing out another lemon law action this same person commenced. Like Tesla, I have difficulty believing in coincidences.

In my opinion, the fact that it will likely settle out of court makes it more important to hold people to account in the court of public opinion.

I think its time to find this guy on all the various doctor rating sites and make sure people know he is also a fraud artist.

It's unfair to do this. The guy has the right to sue and it has nothing to do with his ability as a physician. Plus, patients generally don't select their anesthesiologist, anyway. That being said, if he's a member of the forum, he's obviously going to get skewered on this forum.

I agree that we should not turn this into a witch hunt. That's why I didn't take as fact another post saying the plaintiff is someone here. Instead, I have asked him, point blank. If it's not him, then he can deny it and I will take him at his word. That will end it.

But I don't agree that we simply provide Robert Montgomery with a free pass, as you suggest. There are consequences to one's actions. I believe in personal responsibility and accountability. Robert Montgomery has sued Tesla, and Tesla has made some serious allegations about the merits of his claims, including pointing out another lemon law action this same person commenced. Like Tesla, I have difficulty believing in coincidences.

In my opinion, the fact that it will likely settle out of court makes it more important to hold people to account in the court of public opinion.

agreed, we should make a witch hunt out of this to get to the bottom of it...maybe we can send reporters to his house to try and get answers to these questions:

1)is it true you had this same lawyer file a lemon law suit against Volvo last year too? can you give us details on that?

2)how long have you known this lawyer?

3)did you tamper with the fuses in the frunk? Or do you know if anyone else did?

4)have you ever shorted TSLA or traded derivatives of TSLA that would become more profitable from the price going down?

anyone else think of any other questions we want Dr. Montgomery to answer?

If our legal system worked correctly, didn't allow scum like this to use fraud to extract large payments with no repercussions, then yeah, I wouldn't be thinking of how I could help Tesla. But our legal system isn't a justice system, it is completely broken, it allows fraud artists complete reign to extract payments from companies, and they rarely get the comeuppance they deserve.

I totally agree this should not turn into a witch hunt. He must have his reasons and I totally disagree with the way his lawyer has gone about the case as it's clear that he only cares about publicity for himself and would have been better off just talking with Tesla or their lawyers instead of bringing this out to the public (and not to mention bringing Dr. Montgomery to the public light).

That said, I think this is proof below that it is indeed montgom626 as I can't imagine why he's be watching this forum and not saying anything. I would like to hear his side of the story because I'm sure there are legitimate reasons why he chose to take this path.

Screen Shot 2014-04-09 at 8.55.38 PM.png