Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Spotify app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Simple question I hope. I find subtle differences between the Spotify version I use with my Y vs. the versions I use with my iPhone, iPad and Windows. I enjoy having different song sort options on my PC, iPhone and iPad which I don‘t seem to have on the Tesla interface (e.g. sort by date added, by title, by artist or by album) - at least I can’t find a way. I‘m wondering if this is just a user issue or, if not if some knows if an update to the Tesla app will make it the same. Dan

The Tesla Spotify app sucks compared to the Android app and the Spotify web site. I quit Spotify after my three month free trial because the Tesla app was so darned frustrating. Then six months later they gave me a 50% discount to try it again. I'm more at peace with it now. It has a lot of content (of course) and it is pretty good at giving me a random mix based on my preferences. But I need to avoid comparing it to the tablet apps or the web site. If a streaming service I pay for anyway (Amazon or YouTube) shows up on the Tesla then I plan to drop Spotify. For now I'm using it to help expand my music horizons and reconnect with some old favorites.

I imagine we will see a much improved web browser and vastly better FSD before we see an improved Spotify app. In a long interview last summer with the Tesla Owners of Silicon Valley, Elon said FSD needs to work for Tesla to survive. He also said he knows the web browser sucks and compared it to 1990s technology (or something like that). OTOH, I think I saw a survey (from before Apple Music was added) that said Spotify was the most used Tesla streaming app. So I doubt they will assign scarce software resources to improve it.

Upvote 0
Here is the poll from a year ago:

Upvote 0
The Spotify app in Tesla is lacking many features. It's not a user issue and we'll have to hope that some future update improves the app, but they don't seem to be putting much effort into the media player.
Thank you. I read somewhere that the corporate costs of offering these music apps is mitigated somehow by how the app is rolled out relating to feature set. I doubt if I have a clear picture, admittedly. At any rate the effort to roll out a FSD experience which better manages driver risk and current criticism is foremost and commands the development $$. The media app cost would be a much lower priority for Musk even if it’s much higher on my list as FSD is not high on my personal priority list. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
The Tesla Spotify app sucks compared to the Android app and the Spotify web site. I quit Spotify after my three month free trial because the Tesla app was so darned frustrating. Then six months later they gave me a 50% discount to try it again. I'm more at peace with it now. It has a lot of content (of course) and it is pretty good at giving me a random mix based on my preferences. But I need to avoid comparing it to the tablet apps or the web site. If a streaming service I pay for anyway (Amazon or YouTube) shows up on the Tesla then I plan to drop Spotify. For now I'm using it to help expand my music horizons and reconnect with some old favorites.

I imagine we will see a much improved web browser and vastly better FSD before we see an improved Spotify app. In a long interview last summer with the Tesla Owners of Silicon Valley, Elon said FSD needs to work for Tesla to survive. He also said he knows the web browser sucks and compared it to 1990s technology (or something like that). OTOH, I think I saw a survey (from before Apple Music was added) that said Spotify was the most used Tesla streaming app. So I doubt they will assign scarce software resources to improve it.
Completely agree with your comment regarding the browser and FSD. See my response to Skydog in this overall thread. I’m personally not that interested in FSD. For me it’s too expensive and there’s too much much evidence that AI doesn’t adequately replace the human experience in city driving. For me the media apps are a key feature particularly for my long driving trips between the Bay Area and LA. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
How do you guys login into your Spotify if you originally connected via Facebook? Wish it used a QR code like Tidal.

Solved. Need to login to your account on web and set a Device Password.

1690906080998.png

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam and ggunn9
Upvote 0
I paid over $50K for my Tesla. Why must I have Spotify ads inflicted on me every time I get in the car. Is there some way to eliminate these annoying ads?
Are you talking about how it jumps to Spotify media when getting into the car? Yea, noticed that too. Showed this since I don't have Premium Connectivity.

IMG_6205.JPG

I just turned off Spotify as a media source. It doesn't pop up anymore.

IMG_6206.JPG

PS. IMO, your Q shouldn't have been buried into this "Tesla Spotify app" thread.

Upvote 0
Are you talking about how it jumps to Spotify media when getting into the car? Yea, noticed that too. Showed this since I don't have Premium Connectivity.

View attachment 968622

View attachment 968623

PS. IMO, your Q shouldn't have been buried into this "Tesla Spotify app" thread.
Yeah, agree about the Q move

Upvote 0

View attachment 968622

View attachment 968623

Thanks. That's the ticket. And while there I turned off Caraoke! Shudder! 😊

Upvote 0