Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Specific Road Trip App: Travel Companion App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve started an app that can be used on the Tesla browser (and any device for that matter) and does some really great stuff for family roadtrips!

Currently, the downside is the browser and no Tesla nav integration. It’s still a fun experience but you have to remember to pull it up in the browser while riding 😔.

My favorite part is the Waypoints! It finds waypoints while you drive and you can read about places as you drive through or even route to something that pops up that you want to see/visit!

My kids favorite is the Are We There Yet feature and the Scavenger Hunt game.

As soon as there is a Tesla App Store, I’ll be writing it for that so it has full integration, notifications, and can run in the background 💪.

Please try it out on your next roadtrip and let me know what you think! I want to make sure people will enjoy/use it before rewriting it for a dedicated App Store 🤓.

www.tcapp.app

My favorite part is the Waypoints! It finds waypoints while you drive and you can read about places as you drive through or even route to something that pops up that you want to see/visit!
Curious waypoints term as after reading / reviewing more it seems like POI (Points of Interest). I guess it would be a waypoint if you went there.

Update: I see the FAQ mentions POIs.
Q: "Why do you need my location while playing?"
A: "In order to know the distance remaining, current weather, and show Points of Interest, we need to know your current location. You can deny the request but, you will have limited functionality."

Unclear how far off your path it looks to find POIs? Some tools I've seen let you set that. Example from another post I did recently.

Check out these:
Welcome to Roadtrippers - lets you find places within X miles of the road along your route
Find a scenic drive or plan a road trip with myscenicdrives.com - many examples and lets you set distance/day or hours/day to suggest locations to stop

Also, this does not seem to be a Tesla specific app :) but just a road-tripping app that could have been around for a long time. To be fair, your opening sentence did allude to this.

Last edited:
Curious waypoints term as after reading / reviewing more it seems like POI (Points of Interest)
Yep, meant POIs :). That's actually what they are until you go there...haha

Unclear how far off your path it looks to find POIs
It's 10 miles. It pulls back 20 options and randomly selects one for that town/city. It narrows it down to only places that have images, titles, and descriptions on Wikipedia then gives you a link to view more details on Wikipedia. If you drive through that city again, it will chose a different one the next time (as long as it's the same trip, like a return trip home).

Also, this does not seem to be a Tesla specific app
Absolutely true. It was built specifically to be used in a Tesla (that's what gave me the idea) but it works on many mobile browsers/devices.

road-tripping app that could have been around for a long time.
I created it (in case this wasn't clear in my original post...sorry!) a couple of years ago just for me and my family to use! However, I put it out there for others to try/subscribe. This post was to try and get feedback if people want to try it out. It would be a lot of work to make it an app (if Tesla ever has an app store) and my family uses it ALL the time (and we know how to use it effectively around the Tesla browser limitations - no notifications, must keep the browser running, etc...).

I'm not marketing it until there's a dedicated app store because the user experience is not the best yet. I'm willing to let people have free subscriptions if someone wants to try it and give me feedback though! It's built... might as well have others use/enjoy it!!

• Love
Reactions: scottf200