Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar Panel now $2.85/W instead of $3.49/W

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We looked at purchasing solar panels/PW2 2 months ago and determined the break-even point was too long because our electricity costs $.11/KWh. Even with the lower prices, the break even is still too long, as long as we are able to get inexpensive power from the grid.

Reactions: neroden
8.58kW for $24,453

@kengchang Thanks for the notification. The most recent price for SC330 panel install was actually $3.39/W (discounted in April from $3.49), but the drop is still significant. I’m helping someone else and the Tesla solar advisor is saying new pricing has reduced benefits in warranty and production guarantee. Quote with old pricing includes 25-year warranty (20+5 years) and a production guarantee with payback when production falls below stated values each year; he said quote with new pricing will not include production guarantee and only manufacturer warranty of 10-12 years. Not sure on the last part because I thought California enforced some minimum system warranty. What did your new quote include in terms of warranty and production guarantee? Thanks.

Below. What's the point of production guarantee though? It's not like panel will suddenly die, which is covered by warranty?
upload_2019-4-25_9-43-5.png

Panasonic SC330 330W Panel
SolarEdge Power Optimizer
SolarEdge Single Phase Inverter
Installation/Hardware

How do you know the $2.85/W is for 330W panel rather than 300W Q.cell?

Because when I get my first quote from Tesla, the cost per watt is align with the price in their Design studio, However, it is a 300W Q.cell Panel. After I requested to upgrade the panel, I got a revised quote with Panasonic 330W Panel but the cost per watt become more expensive and there is a "Premium panel cost" in the breakdown of the cost.

So I think the $2.85W is still refer to 300W Q.cell Panel, but I maybe wrong.

Below. What's the point of production guarantee though? It's not like panel will suddenly die, which is covered by warranty?
View attachment 400586

Interesting. Here is my contract from Tesla. I have a longer inverter warranty and the production guarantee. (BTW, we almost needed the production guarantee this year because Tesla installed 6 panels wrong. They weren’t completely off, but not performing up to spec. Once Tesla realized they might have to pay us, they finally sent someone out to inspect the system after 5 months of calling). Customer service is terrible FYI.

E4C5BDCF-8558-45F7-A843-074510AF646B.png

Here is the rest of the production guarantee clause

B8407494-36C1-4CE6-94E2-42FBA05F185B.jpeg

Looks like these panels are discontinued. Check out panasonic's website. That would make sense why the now cost less perhaps. You don't want to install old technology if you are buying now.
N330K Photovoltaic Module HIT® 330W - Solar Panel | Panasonic
SC series is Solar City branded Panasonic Panel, not even listed on Panasonic website. Is N330K the equivalent?

How do you know the $2.85/W is for 330W panel rather than 300W Q.cell?

Because when I get my first quote from Tesla, the cost per watt is align with the price in their Design studio, However, it is a 300W Q.cell Panel. After I requested to upgrade the panel, I got a revised quote with Panasonic 330W Panel but the cost per watt become more expensive and there is a "Premium panel cost" in the breakdown of the cost.

So I think the $2.85W is still refer to 300W Q.cell Panel, but I maybe wrong.
My system is designed as 9.24kW / 28 panels = 330W each

Last edited:
So guys, as much as I hate going back to Tesla, the prices are basically 30%+ lower than Sunpower. The Panasonic 330 is $2.85/w while the Sunpower system are closer to 4.1/w. Part of the price difference is because my house is consider a difficult install, therefore it will cost more problems for small contractors that install Sunpower panels. Since Tesla charges a flat rate, it makes no different.

The panels will live past 20 years easily, the issue is the inverter. They simply die after 10-15, it's almost a given.

Attachments

• warranty-extension-pricelist-na-1.pdf
    237.8 KB · Views: 65
I've been digging into this strategy change and am loving what I see. Ran my address in PA....$2.50/Watt installed before the tax credit(no state incentives). I would be forced to get a 4/8/12/16kW sized system, but I'd make that sacrifice if I were buying right now.

Imagine you have a small ranch home and need or can afford a small array. $2.50/W for 4000W is a phenomenal deal.

Hoping they can rapidly add product size tiers in between and take back over solar installs. They will absolute destroy Vivint and Sunrun once they do so.

• Helpful
Reactions: RoBoRaT