Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla shipping U.S. built cars to Canada again.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to see a virtual parade of car carriers loaded with MY and M3 cars coming from the U.S. to Ontario via Hwy 401. That suddenly came to a standstill when the Shanghai cars began arriving from west coast shipping docks by rail. Now, I'm seeing the truckloads again. I went to the Tesla dealer and noticed they are indeed getting U.S built cars instead of Shanghai cars. Does anyone know why?

I used to see a virtual parade of car carriers loaded with MY and M3 cars coming from the U.S. to Ontario via Hwy 401. That suddenly came to a standstill when the Shanghai cars began arriving from west coast shipping docks by rail. Now, I'm seeing the truckloads again. I went to the Tesla dealer and noticed they are indeed getting U.S built cars instead of Shanghai cars. Does anyone know why?
We can only guess, but with Shanghai feeding cars to Europe and shipping taking longer for that, the ships available might be limited so Tesla delivers now from Fremont / Austin.

Reactions: 404 Not Found
The US has a slowdown in sales while China is buying every Tesla they can make. Sending the US surplus to Canada makes some sense. There are pros and cons to each, China seems to have better quality and some advanced interior while US has HW 4. The MY Std range has less of a stereo system from US. I just picked up MY LR from US in Toronto and was pleased with the quality, panel gaps and to my untrained eye the paint looks good.

Reactions: 404 Not Found
The US has a slowdown in sales while China is buying every Tesla they can make. Sending the US surplus to Canada makes some sense. There are pros and cons to each, China seems to have better quality and some advanced interior while US has HW 4. The MY Std range has less of a stereo system from US. I just picked up MY LR from US in Toronto and was pleased with the quality, panel gaps and to my untrained eye the paint looks good.
A U.S. slowdown combined with the shipping issues are likely the reasons then. I was told at the dealer that Teslas from China still have much better quality than the U.S. cars. I opened a U.S. MY to see something and the doors seemed a bit clunky to open and close compared to the precision sound and feel of my China built car. Still, the U.S. car looked perfect to me, much better than they used to be. I would be happy with any Tesla nowadays.

It appears the reason Canada is now getting U.S. built Model Ys is a mystery again. It is now confirmed that Model 3 Highland cars are coming from China. Also, the configurator still shows the same range and performance numbers for the MY RWD cars as before which means they will be Shanghai cars.