Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Replacing Gen 1 UMC with Gen 2 UMC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While your singular experience is great, sadly, the newer wall plugs can still melt at the plug.

Again, I’ve handled more than one.

I'm sure it's still possible. A bad connection at the plug can cause heat build up. Any adapter has that risk to a degree over a fixed and closed connection/cable. But how many times does it happen these days with the new replaced adapters and how many times of those cases was it user error?
Point is that's not the reason that switched to 32 Amp on the new UMC, It is not a recall or safety issue. The original post that suggested it would be a safety issue with the old UMC turned out to be just a misunderstanding. I'm not saying the old UMC is perfect. Any time you introduce a connector/adapter to a high power system you adding a possible problem. That's why the wall connector is so much better. It's all a fixed connection.

73946D6E-2E88-4CB9-91E7-7FD44A873E27.jpeg
I'm sure it's still possible. A bad connection at the plug can cause heat build up. Any adapter has that risk to a degree over a fixed and closed connection/cable. But how many times does it happen these days with the new replaced adapters and how many times of those cases was it user error?

Melted plugs certainly happens less now than it did with the original plugs. There are a lot of manufacturing flaws.

Here is the picture of the GEN2 UMC that I posted elsewhere:

Reactions: David99