Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla on autopilot crashed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can totally believe AP might mistake lanes and drive you into a gore point if you aren’t paying attention.

Depending on what objects were hit before the driver tried to take control, the suspension or tires may have been damaged causing the driver to not be able to control the vehicle.

So I am guessing they didn’t catch that AP was going off the rails until the car hit something.

"The vehicle could have gone straight or taken the Adams Lane exit, but instead went down the middle" Not the first time this has happened. Does having the navigation on help the car know where it should be going?

"The vehicle could have gone straight or taken the Adams Lane exit, but instead went down the middle" Not the first time this has happened. Does having the navigation on help the car know where it should be going?
I'd assume only when Navigate on Autopilot is engaged. Regardless, I won't experiment how it handles a fork in the road until full self driving and HW3.

I can totally believe AP might mistake lanes and drive you into a gore point if you aren’t paying attention.

Depending on what objects were hit before the driver tried to take control, the suspension or tires may have been damaged causing the driver to not be able to control the vehicle.

So I am guessing they didn’t catch that AP was going off the rails until the car hit something.
We probably ought to be careful about claims the AP went 'off the rails'. It is a fairly widely known and experienced issue where, particularly true for left exits, the lane the driver is in transitions to a Y where the exit is on the left and to remain on existing road is to the right. The car sees that, currently, as the lane widening so it, what would otherwise be rightfully, tries to maintain center lane. Using the left blinker tells the car you are turning left, slowing down helps, one up motion of the right stalk to disengage EAP. "The car made me do it" is nonsensical. The mere fact this is beta software and cars do not have regulatory approval to be autonomous, means the driver seat occupant is ALWAYS "pilot in command".

"The driver said he tried to regain control but the car would not let him..."

I call BS on that.

So he's an idiot and a liar.

Strong words from someone who was not there.

As someone else pointed out, the AP could have struck an initial object which caused problems with steering control through damage to suspension, rims, etc.

We all know AP is not perfect and it has hit things before (multiple cases of getting confused at gore points and hitting an object which have resulted in at least one fatality), even in some cases where drivers were being attentive.... so I find it's not good to shoot bazookas at people who report they had trouble until all the facts are in.

Reactions: adaptabl
We probably ought to be careful about claims the AP went 'off the rails'. It is a fairly widely known and experienced issue where, particularly true for left exits, the lane the driver is in transitions to a Y where the exit is on the left and to remain on existing road is to the right. The car sees that, currently, as the lane widening so it, what would otherwise be rightfully, tries to maintain center lane. Using the left blinker tells the car you are turning left, slowing down helps, one up motion of the right stalk to disengage EAP. "The car made me do it" is nonsensical. The mere fact this is beta software and cars do not have regulatory approval to be autonomous, means the driver seat occupant is ALWAYS "pilot in command".

What I meant by AP going off the rails was that AP can and does mistake lane markings and might drive you into the ditch or wall at an exit if you are not paying attention. So it will leave the "rails" meaning proper lane on the road.

I haven't seen anything where the driver was arguing the car made him do it, so I am not sure where that comes into play. The driver claimed he couldn't regain control, which is fairly easily explained if he tried to regain control after damage to the suspension or tires had occurred.

Reactions: voip-ninja
Pretty much every driver in an accident always blames the other driver. 99% of the time. 90% of the time the driver at fault will flat out lie about what happened. (OK, so I made up those numbers - but from my own personal experience I think this is close to reality). So no surprise that they would blame the car now that they can.

• Funny
Reactions: voip-ninja
There are multiple ways to take over from EAP:
- Steering wheel movement should disable AutoSteer
- Lifting right stalk should disable AutoSteer and TACC
- Hitting the brakes should disable AutoSteer and TACC

Now if the OP was so slow to recognize his situation that he struck something that would disable something that would prevent him being able to disable EAP, how is that the car’s fault?