Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla OEM Model Y Cargo Cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure Tesla may eventually introduce one out of the blue without any notice (like they usually do with their products & upgrades), but I don't think it's going to be any better than the aftermarket ones that you can buy right now in terms or quality or functionality.

Probably the main difference will be the mounting brackets will be integrated into the existing panels, so there's no need to stick on any additional pieces like you need to with aftermarket kits. If Tesla does this, then retrofitting an OEM trunk cover into your Model Y may get pricey since you would need to buy all new rear interior panels with the mounts, along with cover itself.

Cargo cover now standard equipment. In China. Wait a year for it in North America, perhaps?

News here:

A handful of the early Model S got a similar tri-fold cover. We liked it better than the much more common outside-half-folds-back-over-the-inside-half variety which we had on a later S. But then, unlike this example, ours was pretty much in 3 even pieces, so you'd just lightly push back on it and suddenly it was 1/3 the size.

This looks (camera angle/fisheye may be deceiving) like it only reduces to 1/2 the size. But it also looks like there's a seam half-way down that outside piece, so maybe it folds also, and it reduces to 1/4 of the size? Probably not as it's not demonstrated, but is is odd that there appears to be another seam and that the tri-fold design does so little to get it out of the way.

Yeah, at first I was shocked the Y didn't have a cover. A massive oversight! Then I realised you have hidden space in the under-trunk storage, lockable space in the frunk, and lockable space in the glovebox for any valuable/high-risk items. I kinda didn't think it was necessary after that.

For those of us that golf and like to leave our clubs in the back, it is a semi-big deal.

I think Tesla is actually the outlier as every other SUV has some sort of privacy cover. For a vehicle with exposed storage, a privacy cover is a necessity.

Fwiw I have a Volvo XC60 and Volvo made the cargo cover a $300 option on all trim levels in the recent model year. It used to be standard. I guess Volvo thinks people don’t all use the cover and can make more margin from those that do want the cover.

I have more cargo covers than I have cars. They all end up in my garage.

Anyone want a cargo cover for a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee? How about a 2008 Toyota Prius? How about a 2014 Jeep Cherokee? Anything else? Just ask, I probably have it. 😇

They've always been a waste of money as far as I'm concerned. Always in the way when you want to haul big items. Glass is tinted, hard to see anything in there anyway. Y'all must live in high crime areas or something.

Yes, Fremont is very behind. I wonder when will we have the new door trims.

Capture.JPG